Volendam - Sufficient Deck Chairs on Lower Prom?

12Mermaids

Good day!

I'm preparing to book my first cruise on HAL (second cruise ever). The itinerary is an outstanding glacier-viewing trip through the inside passage r/t Vancouver in September.

This question is silly, but I couldn't find an answer with my searches.

Are there a lot of deck chairs on the lower promenade deck? Is it hard to snag a chair unless you claim it at sunrise? I'm trying to decide between booking a partially obstructed ov on the lower prom or an ocean view on another deck. Love the idea of quick access to the wraparound deck and the deck chairs, but might not be worth it if it's hard to get a chair.

Thanks, in advance, for any information you can provide.

There are plenty of deck chairs on multiple decks, but snagging one won't give you much of a glacier view as most passengers will be hugging the railings to watch, and it's considered "bad form" to pile your stuff on a chair just to hold it for occasional use. Plan on being rail-side for viewing, and flopping into a chair when the need to get off your feet overwhelms you.

We never had a problem finding a deck chair on Volendam for the Alaska cruise - but be aware, a lot of the chairs are reserved for the use of the passengers in the lanai cabins on the LP deck. We didn't do much sitting around, really, mainly we were on our feet wandering all over for the best views.

Thank you, both, for your quick replies! I was hoping (weather cooperating) to sit outside on the prom during the inside passage parts or approaching ports. Planning to hang out with my camera watching for wonderful shots until I get overwhelmed, then just read for a while, haha. I understand that the glacier viewing is going to be better from the observation deck, or closer to the rails.

I'm very excited!

What it looks like:

a804e16d2569e3553fe5ebe894af29e5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This picture actually shows the lanai cabins (they have the floor to ceiling doors). The deck chairs in this photo are reserved for the guests in those cabins. This is the port side of the ship, and if you walked forward from here to you would come to an area where there are some unreserved deck chairs. They are very rarely in use in Alaska. I had the Lanai cabin that is pictured here on Volendam last September! (right next muster station 8) - what a coincidence! So those were our reserved chairs. We did use them from time to time, but as someone already mentioned, on glacier day we, and everyone else, were by the railing, and other days in Alaska it's pretty cold for just hanging out outside. I LOVED having the lanai for quick access to the deck, but mostly for walking, not for sitting. :) To answer the OP's question, Volendam does not have a deck chair lack problem. You should take the cabin that you want, and don't worry about having to "snag" a deck chair. It really won't be an issue, I promise.

Thanks, Victoriann! I appreciate the great information and photo. I will definitely book on the lower prom deck.

I am so glad I found the Cruise Critic community. People are so helpful here!

Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Thank you, both, for your quick replies! I was hoping (weather cooperating) to sit outside on the prom during the inside passage parts or approaching ports. Planning to hang out with my camera watching for wonderful shots until I get overwhelmed, then just read for a while, haha. I understand that the glacier viewing is going to be better from the observation deck, or closer to the rails.

I'm very excited!

You'll be better off on the Observation deck, with loads of chairs and the ability to see both sides of the ship.

The Volendam and Maasdam have plenty of Lower Promenade Deck chairs for those who want them; the Veendam does not. (I don't know for certain about the Rotterdam as I have not sailed her since she had the Lanai cabins installed.)

By the time the Volendam and Maasdam cabins were converted there were fewer done, leaving entire sections with public deck chairs. In addition, the cabins on each side of each doorway were left as outside cabins, so loungers in front of those are public, too.

I would take either an outside on a lower deck, as those are larger, or an inside on Lower Promenade, for the proximity to the outside deck. The insides are also larger than the outsides on Lower Promenade.

Ann, that was so cool! I got to watch the docking. Thanks for sharing the webcam link.

Glad you were able to watch. I had to go out, so I didn't see it all..:( As you could see, the bow was open for passengers to go out and watch from the front of the ship. It is usually open in Glacier Bay, too, and sometimes for other scenic cruising. You just have to figure out how to get there!

... the bow was open for passengers to go out and watch from the front of the ship. It is usually open in Glacier Bay, too, and sometimes for other scenic cruising. You just have to figure out how to get there!

Easy, so long as you can step over the water-tight door at the bow superstructure.

Head forward past the Front Desk on Promenade Deck. Pass along the side of the show lounge, and head to the doors that say "Emergency Exit" (or something similar; it makes it clear that this is not a normal passage). There's an immediate set of doors as soon as you leave the first set; go through those.

You are now in the backstage passage area, and you'll see a staircase coming up, and continuing. Head forward a few feet, and the door to the bow should be open. There's a step up, over the barrier, then a step down.

Ann, sorry you missed it today--but at least there are upcoming cruises so you have more chances to watch. And, yes, I saw the observation deck.

Ruth, thank you for the excellent instructions! I've copied them into my notes document.

And thanks to those of you mentioning cabin size. As long as I have a window, a comfy bed, and a bathtub I will be happy. I'm traveling solo, so expect I'll have enough room, even if it's not actually a roomy cabin.

The pea soup sounds great!

I love the aft view of the Inside Passage. That way you can see all the way across and it's usually less crowded than the forward looking places. But don't overlook some of the upper deck forward places, under the bridge is great too. Volendam has plenty of deck chairs on LP for those without Lanai cabins, great place to rest for a few minutes between ooohs and aaaahs. Enjoy, m--

What an interesting concept. We are booked on this floor ocean view... so glad I didn't get a balcony this time... seems like a waste of money

So I read that smoking is still allowed on the balconies.. would this include the promenade decks like this one?

thanks

So I read that smoking is still allowed on the balconies.. would this include the promenade decks like this one?

Yes on the (private) balconies; no on the (public) promenade.

Any other questions/comments about the smoking topic should be posted in the thread dedicated to that topic.

Thanks Ruth.. I assume this means that there are private balconies and what I would call a public balcony if you are sharing your space with the rest of the people on promenade. I have never seen this before but its our first time on HAL.