Solarium open to kids on cold itineraries?

I am considering a Northern European cruise on Independence of the Seas. The RC website indicates that on cold cruises that the solarium is opened to kids. For those who have done cold itineraries, is this true? This is a bit of a deal breaker for us so anyone's experience would be appreciated.

Also, I am a long time CC stalker and want to say a huge thanks for all the helpful info I have learned here.

On Radiance in Alaska two years ago, the Solarium was open to children for about 2-4 hours per day. The rest of the time, the usual "no kids" rules applied.

We just avoided the Solarium during the times when kids were permitted, though really in Alaska we didn't spend a whole lot of time for hanging out poolside.

Edited by danv3

Does Independence even have a covered Solarium? If not no advantage to opening it for kids. I did not think that was one of the enclosed Solarium ships, but I haven't sailed her and could be wrong.

I am considering a Northern European cruise on Independence of the Seas. The RC website indicates that on cold cruises that the solarium is opened to kids. For those who have done cold itineraries, is this true? This is a bit of a deal breaker for us so anyone's experience would be appreciated.

Also, I am a long time CC stalker and want to say a huge thanks for all the helpful info I have learned here.

Just an fyi Indy does not have an enclosed Solarium

P1050846_zps74a40b81.jpg

We're just back from the Baltic on Serenade of the Seas.

There was a post in the Cruise Compass, "Due to the outside weather conditions, we welcome families with young children to enjoy the pool in the Solarium from 10:00 am - noon and 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm."

I don't know that we ever saw small children in the pool although there didn't seem to be a lot of children on board our sailing.

As someone else pointed out - Independence's Solarium is not covered. So my guess would be that No, kids won't be allowed to use it, since it is an outdoor pool just like the others.

On Vision and Radiance class ships, they do have 2 hour blocks in the afternoon for families to use the pool in the indoor solariums.

We're just back from the Baltic on Serenade of the Seas.

There was a post in the Cruise Compass, "Due to the outside weather conditions, we welcome families with young children to enjoy the pool in the Solarium from 10:00 am - noon and 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm."

I don't know that we ever saw small children in the pool although there didn't seem to be a lot of children on board our sailing.

Same thing happened last year on the same ship and itinerary.

We had a couple of kids acting out in a little horseplay in the Solarium. But it didn't bother me at all.

We just got off the Explorer in Alaska 3 days ago. We were in the solarium jacuzzi and one of the attendants very politely informed a family with a teenager that the solarium was adults only. The family left immediately without any issues, I think they were aware of the rule and were looking to see if it was enforced.