P&O persicoping

moqui_girl

Hi all

I'm just wondering if anyone is using Periscope app to live stream on their cruise?

On other cruise lines a number of people are doing this. I've not seen any P&O periscopes.

I doubt the wifi on board would be fast enough but 3G might be possible in some ports.

Thanks

Emma

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never heard of it. What does it do?

I think this is why the OP has not had any replies. This is a new one on me as well.

Is it a young people's thing.

Actually because of the lack of replies the question may have been answered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's a live video steaming app by Twitter and very popular too. Had a fair share of controversy too with live streaming rapes and such like. If use properly I'm sure it could be quite interesting, however used incorrectly then it becomes a weapon.

Must say though, I've never used it so can't confirm how good it is.

I thought I was quite good with IT etc but have nooooooooooooo idea what anyone is talking about. Must be getting old, so am now off to check (with hubby who is far better at the new technology than I am :-))

P&O wifi is a complete rip off compared to rci imo,

Rci you pay a flat fee for unlimited internet compared to pay by the minute with p&o , on a recent p&o cruise I payed for 120 mins logged on for 5 mins to check emails and it took 25 mins, this happened time and time again you need to be a rich man using periscope, I complained 3 times and each time they gave me 30 mins without batting an eye lid, that tells me everything.

P&O wifi is a complete rip off compared to rci imo,

Rci you pay a flat fee for unlimited internet compared to pay by the minute with p&o , on a recent p&o cruise I payed for 120 mins logged on for 5 mins to check emails and it took 25 mins, this happened time and time again you need to be a rich man using periscope, I complained 3 times and each time they gave me 30 mins without batting an eye lid, that tells me everything.

I dont know which ship you were on but i am recently off Oriana which has the upgraded wifi. It was still expensive (300 mins for £62) but was much much quicker and more reliable than when on Arcadia and Azura last year. I had no problems logging on or off and even downloaded an audio podcast quite quickly.

It's a live video steaming app by Twitter and very popular too. Had a fair share of controversy too with live streaming rapes and such like. If use properly I'm sure it could be quite interesting, however used incorrectly then it becomes a weapon.

Must say though, I've never used it so can't confirm how good it is.

I've found it really fun and interesting as have managed to easily avoid anything unpleasant or controversial.

The great things about it over something like You Tube is that you can ask questions to the person streaming which makes it more fun and useful.

I follow a lot of people who live stream from their cruises. Most of them on RCCL ships - mainly because their wifi is really good - but other cruise lines too.

We are about to book a cruise on Ventura for November and I'm hoping to try and periscope (if 3G is good enough).

I would be good to see other people on P&O ships too!

From what I've heard the ship's WiFi is painfully slow at the best of times and would probably grind to a halt if people starting trying to use it for things like Periscope, so I expect they're blocked. If you want to stream your sailaway you'd probably get a much faster connecting using 3G/4G mobile data connection.

For anyone still confused about what periscope is, it's just a way of broadcasting live video from your phone's camera over the internet.

From what I've heard the ship's WiFi is painfully slow at the best of times and would probably grind to a halt if people starting trying to use it for things like Periscope, so I expect they're blocked. If you want to stream your sailaway you'd probably get a much faster connecting using 3G/4G mobile data connection.

For anyone still confused about what periscope is, it's just a way of broadcasting live video from your phone's camera over the internet.

Is it Twitter based or can you use another medium?

P and O are in the process of upgrading their wifi across the fleet. I don't think it has reached all the ships yet.

Agreed the old way was very very slow, as such that we waited until we got into port and found free wifi if reqd.

Have to see what its like on board later in the year.

Is it Twitter based or can you use another medium?

It's a Twitter product but it's a separate entity and has its own app. You can log in with you Twitter account if you have one or just set up a specific Periscope user name.

P and O are in the process of upgrading their wifi across the fleet. I don't think it has reached all the ships yet.

Agreed the old way was very very slow, as such that we waited until we got into port and found free wifi if reqd.

Have to see what its like on board later in the year.

Good to know. We are sailing in November (booked today! Yay!) so it would be great if it's done by then. I'll look out for reports of improvement!