Are multi-port usb chargers banned

40 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

In our cabin of 3, we would use a multi-plug USB B/C chargers for iPhones (3), iPad (3), GoPro and Apple Watch.

There are never enough regular wall plugs in a cabin for the 3 of us.  It will be different for others. 

Yes the need multiplies with each additional passenger. 

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

My laptop needs 30 watts which is probably the minimum any laptop manufactured required. I don’t take my laptop any more as I have no need too. But some do need to take a laptop and many laptops need much more than 30 watts. I take an iPad these days which only needs 20 watts. 

Ballpark, 30w is definitely on the lower end for somebody like me (and maybe you) that knows about this stuff, but doesn't think too much about it. I know the USB-C PD 240w spec was created to power some of these crazy gaming laptops that conceivably, a RC passenger might bring on a vacation.

Personally, PD charging thru USB-C is a must have for me as I shop for a new laptop.

Your answers are here:

But to summarize:

Anything that has more than 1 110/220v outlet/plug on it is banned regardless of cord or not.

Multiple USB ports are allowed whether USB only, or has a single outlet/plug.

The latest twist to this whole discussion is whether they are going to limit USB ports to a maximum of 4 or not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Yes, when I was looking for my replacement multi-port charger that was mostly USB-C, I believe that every charger that had any 65W ports limited the number of ports to 1 or 2. The rest were capped lower. Mine has caps at 20W & 30W. it's listed as 260W overall.

image.png.d691da229e249cadc61676cf174044b3.png

7 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Yes, when I was looking for my replacement multi-port charger that was mostly USB-C, I believe that every charger that had any 65W ports limited the number of ports to 1 or 2. The rest were capped lower. Mine has caps at 20W & 30W. it's listed as 260W overall.

image.png.d691da229e249cadc61676cf174044b3.png

I like how that is presented so you know what you're getting. If you can in fact get full performance out of every port, that would effectively be a one-size fits all solution for all of your devices in 2024.

That being said, 65w PD-C delivery is nice, but if you have a gaming laptop that does take USB power, it still might not be enough.... hence my rant on this topic in this thread.

1 minute ago, Mike07 said:

That being said, 65w PD-C delivery is nice, but if you have a gaming laptop that does take USB power, it still might not be enough.... hence my rant on this topic in this thread.

Agreed. 65W is enough for my Surface, but yes, I think some of these gaming laptops need/prefer 100W

One thing to consider for this thread... if you haven't already, please buy external battery packs on Amazon. Anker is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of price and reliability. There are tons of cheap Chinese ones on ebay/Amazon though that have inferior cells that sometimes bulge and bust and become a fire hazard.

Benefits

- Don't hunt wall plugs in airport/plane/bus

- Charging said power bricks when you're not in room allows flexibility for when you are in room and/or around the ship

- For emergency situations, like what's happening in the SE right now, they're essential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

The latest twist to this whole discussion is whether they are going to limit USB ports to a maximum of 4 or not

What it sounds like (to me at least ) is that if a single 110/220V outlet (with no cord) is combined with USB ports, there can be no more than four USB ports on the device.

16 minutes ago, mandyleighflies said:

Thank you everyone!! I will save the OG multi plug for home/hotel travel charging and bring the European style one for cruises! 

Just a little confused.  Are you planning on using the EU style simply for the USB and to then by way of it add a second US outlet?  

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

What it sounds like (to me at least ) is that if a single 110/220V outlet (with no cord) is combined with USB ports, there can be no more than four USB ports on the device.

Follow the other thread. That was the initial indication, and what logic and electrical engineering* would tell you, but the crack RC Social Media team says no. That any/all multi-port USB chargers are limited to 4 USB ports regardless of the existence of a 110/220V outlet.

But then again, last week 2 different social media managers gave opposing responses on an adaptor like the OP had as their first picture. 1 110v plus 3 USB ports. One said it was banned, the other said it was fine.

*When it comes to any possible USB limit, it makes no sense to limit port count, you'd have to limit the overall watts. Is a 55W charger that can charge up to 3 worse that a single 100W charger?

17 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Just a little confused.  Are you planning on using the EU style simply for the USB and to then by way of it add a second US outlet?  

I was showing both options I have available to take with me and if either of them were "approved" under the new laws. I will use EU for USB while we are out of room and as extra outlet when needed in room. 

Edited by mandyleighflies

14 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

That any/all multi-port USB chargers are limited to 4 USB ports regardless of the existence of a 110/220V outlet.

Following is the official wording from RCL. You will notice that there is no mention of port count in the statement.

IMG_0400.png

Just now, orville99 said:

Following is the official wording from RCL. You will notice that there is no mention of port count in the statement.

Yes, that is correct. This is what the FAQ says and what it was updated to. I was pointing out that in the other thread (I wish the admins would merge this), the new twist on this discussion is whether or not they are going to limit USB chargers to 4 ports or not. One RC twitter/x social media manager indicated that a single 110/220V plug was limited to 4 USB ports. But then another said that even without the 110/220V, the adaptor/charger was limited to 4 also. So now this is being discussed. Hence my point that it doesn't make any logical sense to limit USB by port count. Totally wattage maybe, but not port count.

BTW, the one I travel with has 7, and 260W total.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The ban is for multiport electric outlet plugs.  Multiport USB plugs are permitted.  Anything in combination with both USB outlets that also has multiport electric outlets ae not permitted.  Anything with surge protection is also not permitted.

A USB outlet IS an "electric outlet".  

The main difference between USB & "standard" outlets is the type of electric.  USB is DC where "standard" is AC.  

5 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

The main difference between USB & "standard" outlets is the type of electric.  USB is DC where "standard" is AC.  

Technically, correct. But if you search "outlet", you will always get references to regular line-voltage AC current outlets.

USB's and other DC connections are pretty much always referred to as "ports".

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

Yes, that is correct. This is what the FAQ says and what it was updated to. I was pointing out that in the other thread (I wish the admins would merge this), the new twist on this discussion is whether or not they are going to limit USB chargers to 4 ports or not. One RC twitter/x social media manager indicated that a single 110/220V plug was limited to 4 USB ports. But then another said that even without the 110/220V, the adaptor/charger was limited to 4 also. So now this is being discussed. Hence my point that it doesn't make any logical sense to limit USB by port count. Totally wattage maybe, but not port count.

Social media is about as accurate as a drunken weather forecaster.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

As also suggested by @RobInMN, I was only identifying the resulting plug in ports as USB for charging v electrical outlet as the approved type.

Not getting that technical.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

4 hours ago, RobInMN said:

port count. Totally wattage maybe, but not port count.

The problem with these types of discussions is that people throw about numbers without any understanding of what they mean. “Watts” are the result of the calculation Voltage x Amperage. Most USB towers measure amperage in “milliamperes” and output either 5, 9, or 20 volts depending on the speed required for charging. A 5V 500mAmp outlet will put out 2.5 watts (pretty standard) High speed chargers will put out  the same range of voltages, but at much higher amperage (5 Amps is typical), so a high speed USB 20V charger will put out 100 Watts. A 110V 15 Amp circuit on the other hand will put out 1,650 Watts per plug. Watts = heat.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1