---> !!ANTHEM OTS REVIEW!! <--- Complete Pictorial Guide! [June 02, 2016]

27556956482_cfe68a215d_b.jpg

27556955542_5fc1f0947d_b.jpg

The funny elevator pictures! They are all different!

27556954532_48fc197092_b.jpg

Okay I have a "bone to pick" with the elevators. They are trying to make them all modern with every button being glass. You just touch your finger on the glass to pick the deck, there is no button to push. While this was neat, it was a pain in the butt! People would lean up against them when the elevator got crowded and we would have to go to multiple decks that nobody needed to get off on. Physical button's just work so much better!

27556953892_4c2160cfc3_b.jpg

27045735244_6de747d71c_b.jpg

Edited by swim13

Day 9 END! That mean's that's a wrap with all of the pictures. I will post my final thoughts tomorrow along with something else that you may have already cheated and found in a previous comment! :p

This is the greatest review ever! I don't want it to end. Thank you so much, brings me back to our April cruise, and only 299 more days until Anthem again!

Marg

Haha aw thanks! I wish I had another cruise booked right now! :(

Goodness I forgot to answer the first part of your question, haha! Solarium Bistro is open for everybody, at least in the morning and afternoon. I think it might be different in the night, but I am not 100% sure. It used to be called Divinly Decadence, but was rebranded to Solarium Bistro in December 2015 after RCI and celebrity chef Devin Alexander parted. You might be thinking of Costal Kitchen, because that is suite guests/Pinnacle members only!

Thank you! Yes, I believe I was getting the two confused! You're the best!

As I stated before, "BEST PHOTOS EVER"! Thanks for the fantastic review!!:)

I agree 100%. There are many great photo posters on these boards but I have to say Mike's are in the upper echelon. Way better than my iPhone 6S photos.;)

I should pay Mike's cabin fare, so he can tag along on our cruises to take the photos for my live threads. He can do the photos and I will do the prose. :D:p

This is THE most of comprehensive and thorough review I have read thus far. We will be on her and July and cannot wait, I wish I saw pictures of the nursery as we have a two-year-old but realize you can't be everywhere.

I thank you and my family thanks you, this really makes me even more excited to get on board.

We booked a cruise for next March on Anthem, but are beginning to have second thoughts based on poor reviews. Would you recommend the Anthem or Freedom (another cruise we're looking at)?

Also you did not comment on the I-fly. I'm guessing you do not go on it? Anything you comment about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, just found this site and your review...so helpful! Pictures are amazing! Going on our first cruise on Anthem and had a question about Labadee. We were going to do the Amiga Island excursion but it's booked up. Have read that Nellie's Beach is very good but don't want to spend $400 on a cabana. Is there a way to get to Nellie's Beach without booking the cabana excursion?

REVIEW RECAP!

First off, thanks for everyone who joined in and participated in the review! Your comments are very encouraging and excite me to continue the reviews even more! I hope that within the next two years I will be able to give you another one. Perhaps in an itinerary outside of the Caribbean! :cool:

Overall Ship Design

Royal Caribbean always excels with their ship layouts, no matter which ship I have been on with them. While I prefer Oasis class layout, this ship has an undoubtably great layout for passenger flow and ease of finding everything! This ship is very modern, but continues to maintain that classic Royal Caribbean charm that I fell in love with as a kid! This ship is built for cold weather and it would be the ultimate ship to sail on during the winter, perhaps even Alaska! Send her to Alaska! There are actually bubbles produced underwater to cover the hull with that helps make the ship glide through the water. They have made the ship very efficient and a lot of the engineering that we can marvel at is within the ship herself and how she operates. Almost all lights are LED's. I believe some 70% of the waste is recycled and 20% burned off in the incinerators, leaving almost no trash behind for landfills. The stacks have scrubbers built in that reduce sulfur emissions and remove harmful particulates from entering the atmosphere.

Complimentary Restaurants

As I said before, I will not go in depth with food reviewing as it is an extremely subjective topic on Cruise Critic. I will reiterate that on land I have eaten from restaurants with a very cheap price tag to fancy cuisine in cities. I have never had a bad meal on a cruise. So I hope that will put you at ease! I did miss the main dining room a lot, but this was not a bad alternative.

How does dining work on this ship? Dynamic Dining allows you to choose from any of the 4 main complimentary restaurants like if you were on land...minus the complimentary part lol! You will get to choose your time too, although I found this option unfavorable for my family and I because there would always be a line to be seated (especially during popular dining times like 6:00-7:00) and you did not get the same table and wait staff each night. This is why we chose Classic Dining. Classic work's just like how Disney does dining. We rotated between the 4 restaurants and had the same table number, dining time, and wait staff every night. This allowed us to walk in and sit down at our table and allowed for a more personal dining experience with a wait staff who knew us and knew what we liked.

I liked all the restaurants very much. They are all unique and have beautiful designs. I would have to say I liked American Icon Grill the least because it was all american style food I can get on land. The other restaurants aren't too adventurous, but offered menu items not as common on land in the USA. *The Grande has lobster each night! Trust me when I say my step-dad doesn't like to try new things and always found something for himself on each menu, even in Silk.

*Must wear formal attire (typically a dress for a women, sports coat for men). Last night you will not need to dress up on for this itinerary.

Specialty Dining

I can't say much about specialty since we never dined in one. I included it because I heard raving reviews of both Chops Grille and Wonderland throughout from chatter in the elevators or bars. They never looked too busy, so I am sure you'll be able to get a seat at anytime. Please remember that Costal Kitchen, located on the starboard side entrance of the Windjammer, is for guests in suites or pinnacle level Crown & Anchor Society members.

Royal iQ App

I know I already reviewed VOOM in depth, but I did't get a chance to tell you about the Royal iQ App. This is a really great app for using on the ship. Just go to setting and contact to the Royal WiFi. Open up the app and you are able to use most of it's functions without any internet package at all. The only thing you need the internet package with on this app is for messaging. Besides that, you are able to track your luggage on the first day, access the cruise compass, reserve a time for a specialty restaurant, or even see your schedule for the day. If you don't want to use your phone at all, there are Royal iQ stations set up throughout the ship, especially at Guest Services and Shore Excursions. I definitely recommend downloading it for free on your smartphone before your trip. I deleted it afterwards because it will literally only work on the ships wifi...drat! :p

The Thrills

North Star - We know my issues with this beast, but it was super neat to go up and experience it. I would totally do it again on another Quantum class cruise and I think everyone should at least try it. If you are prone to motion sickness, book during a time you'll be in port. Definitely make a reservation before you get on the ship as they will book up fast. Also please make sure you do not book a time during sail away, so you can avoid my issues!

RipCord by iFly - VERY fun! Something for all ages and definitely a unique one. If there are only two of you, book different times so the other can take videos/pictures of you while flying. Book before the cruise as reservations for this also book up fast. The entrance to this is located to the left of the rock wall, so don't go up to the behemoth expecting to jump right in. The experience will last about 45 mins to an hour. Takes time to watch the safety video, get equipment, take pictures, and then fly.

FlowRider - Always a favorite thing to do on RCI ships! Just make sure you go in the RipCord entrance to the left of the rock wall and ask to sign the waivers for it. They will then give you a wristband indicating you can surf or boogie board. Look at the cruise compass for operation times as they will vary.

Staterooms

The staterooms on this class of ships are awesome. They are about 9% larger than that of even Oasis class. So. Much. Storage! The new shower door design is awesome and allows for the most space I've ever had on a ship. There is a lock code on the mini fridge that enables you to lock it in case you are traveling with children. There is also a main power switch and outlet right next to the bed for convenience. Tip: put any kind of card you have in your wallet that you won't need (mine was an old rewards card) in the main power switch reader instead of your sea pass. This is what is required to power the stateroom. Just take it out half way so it isn't all the way in the reader and the lights will turn off within a minute. Now you won't ever forget your sea pass! ;)

Final Thoughts

I did like this ship, but I much prefer Oasis class. The Royal Esplanade was nice, but the Royal Promenade's are so much better! They are bigger and more fun. There were things like Music Hall that I think should replace a venue like Dazzle's with on the Oasis class. Two70 was phenomenal and one of my favorite spaces on a ship to date. Either way, this ship would rank in my top 3 favorite.

Any questions please feel free to ask! I will check the thread probably every day for a week or so and then from time to time! I hope you all enjoyed my review as much as I did giving it! I will add Day 5 and 6 cruise compasses tomorrow. Now I will leave you with my cruise video I made, "Anthem Adventure"! Just click the YouTube link below! Enjoy and see you on the seven seas! :)

Mike, do you have any idea why the dream works characters were removed from the pool area? It looks strange just to see the three mounting spikes.

I am not sure, I was surprised by this as well! My only thought is that Comcast recently bought DreamWork's, so perhaps there was something in that contract dealing with characters on the ships. Would love to know the real answer! You would think those spikes would be hidden more as they are dangerous around a children's area!

Mike,

What time did you take your photos on the last day? Where is everyone?! Haha must have been very late ;-)

Also, did you get a chance to try the puzzle room? Wasn't sure if you mentioned it in a comment or something.

I love your photos from the last day! Very jealous!

Funny you mention that! I was up quite late that night (actually morning haha!), allowing me to get those kinds of pictures. I believe it was around 1:30-2:00 am. I did not get a chance to experience the Puzzle Room, but I did find it! Port side of SeaPlex entrance. It is a tiny room and looked somewhat dull to be honest! Never saw anyone in there. Thank you!

Your review really makes me want to take a cruise on Anthem! Thank you so much for sharing :-)

Looks like you had a great time!

Thank you for your nice comment! I would definitely consider a cruise on Anthem if I were you!

Thank you! Yes, I believe I was getting the two confused! You're the best!

Of course. Aw thanks! I hope you have an amazing time on Anthem!!

I am so grateful for this thread. My frist cruise ever is on the Anthem in November and this has been beyond helpful! Thank you so much!

I am beyond excited for you! I am also afraid to tell you that you are about to experience what we call the cruise bug, where you become obsessed with cruising after your first one! Haha! You're welcome, enjoy your vacation!!

As I stated before, "BEST PHOTOS EVER"! Thanks for the fantastic review!!:-)

Thanks so much!! :]

Fantastic review! Thank you so much!

Do you happen to know how late the pools are open?

Thank YOU! Select pools are open very late. The main pool was always open while the late night movie was playing and the Solarium pool was open at midnight when I strolled through there around that time once!

Thank You sooooo much for this wonderful review!!! :-D

We sail on Anthem in November and I am even more jazzed after seeing this review.

Great pictures and very well written!!!

Thanks again Mike... :cool:

Of course, thank you for your very nice comment! I am so thrilled for you!!

I agree 100%. There are many great photo posters on these boards but I have to say Mike's are in the upper echelon. Way better than my iPhone 6S photos.;)

I should pay Mike's cabin fare, so he can tag along on our cruises to take the photos for my live threads. He can do the photos and I will do the prose. :D:p

Thanks a lot! I know, I took some pictures on my iPhone 6 to post to social media, but ended up posting the ones from my camera lol! Hmmmm. Now I might just have to take you up on that, you don't know what you just got yourself in to! Hahaha! :-p

This is THE most of comprehensive and thorough review I have read thus far. We will be on her and July and cannot wait, I wish I saw pictures of the nursery as we have a two-year-old but realize you can't be everywhere.

I thank you and my family thanks you, this really makes me even more excited to get on board.

Thank you! I am so glad I could help where I could! Yes, I try to explore the whole ship on the first day when that is all accessible, but I got so wrapped up with the excitement of being on the ship that I forgot! :[ Enjoy your cruise!

I am not sure, at this point, if I could be any more excited about my cruise. Thank you so much for sharing your point of view. The photos were fantastic. But I especially have enjoyed your perspective. :cool:

Thank you! Wish I could join!

We booked a cruise for next March on Anthem, but are beginning to have second thoughts based on poor reviews. Would you recommend the Anthem or Freedom (another cruise we're looking at)?

Also you did not comment on the I-fly. I'm guessing you do not go on it? Anything you comment about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough questions! You bring up a great point, I can't believe I forgot to comment on the iFly! It was an absolute amazing experience! 10/10 would definitely recommend. As far as which ship, that is what you want to get out of your vacation. Anthem is not getting the best reviews because of the technology on this ship, not because she is flawed in other aspects. I loved Freedom, but I also sailed on her 10 years ago! I prefer new ships and that is just a complete personal preference (I like modern design and architecture). Now I would like to go back and go on another Freedom class cruise at some point. I think the only two thing's that I preferred on Freedom over Anthem was the ice skating rink and main dining room. Then again, I preferred more things on Anthem over Freedom. If you go on the Anthem cruise with an open mind and take all of my tips into consideration, you are going to have a fantastic vacation no matter what! Heck just take two separate trips and sail on them both! It might just be more trouble for you to cancel this cruise and then book a different one. After all I had a fantastic time on Anthem! :] Hope that helped!

Hi, just found this site and your review...so helpful! Pictures are amazing! Going on our first cruise on Anthem and had a question about Labadee. We were going to do the Amiga Island excursion but it's booked up. Have read that Nellie's Beach is very good but don't want to spend $400 on a cabana. Is there a way to get to Nellie's Beach without booking the cabana excursion?

Welcome to Cruise Critic and my review! Thank you so much. The cabana's are definitely very expensive! Nellie's beach is open to anyone on the ship! Only the Barefoot Beach Club is reserved for suite guests. Arrive to Nellie's beach early and tell the attendant how many loungers you'd like and they will even set them up for you! They don't cost, but we always tip them. Enjoy your first cruise!!

You're the best Mike! :)

Thank you! I hope to see you on another thread or even on my next review, whenever that may be! :]