---> !!ANTHEM OTS REVIEW!! <--- Complete Pictorial Guide! [June 02, 2016]

Loving your review and pictures. I did not know that Anthem docked in Old San Juan, I thought it docked at the Pan American port. This is great. Thanks again. :cool:

Thank you! Yes, it was really nice to be able to just walk out right into town!

Labadee coming later this afternoon! :D

Wonderful writeup and pictures!!!! DW and I will be on the Anthem this week. Any tricks, tips, locations (big comfy relaxing chairs) secret food spots etc. you can give me so I can beat the crowds!!

Edited by bulliondesk

Wonderful writeup and pictures!!!! DW and I will be on the Anthem this week. Any tricks, tips, locations (big comfy relaxing chairs) secret food spots etc. you can give me so I can beat the crowds!!

So will we! Can't wait to pull up and see Anthem docked and waiting for us on Sat! This review has been extraordinary preparation!!! [emoji847]

Hello again!

Loving every bit of the review! Do you happen to know if you are dining in one complimentary restaurant, can you order something off of a menu from a different complimentary restaurant? Someone told me that you can and it makes sense since I'm guessing they are making a lot of things in the kitchen. Just wondering if you ever did that.

Thanks!

It was very cool to watch sail away from Two70 however, I realized we would be sailing by the very end of Fort San Cristobal and I wanted some good photos. We walked outside to the promenade where the lifeboats are. It was amazing to sail by so close! I was able to get some good photos and videos right before another downpour!

I don't want to seem picky but it is El Morro that you sailed by on the way out from San Juan not San Cristobal.

DAY 7

Labadoozie -

We have made it to Labadee, Haiti! Now while you are technically connected to mainland Haiti, you can't really say you've been to Haiti besides stepping on the soil. This is Royal's private "island" (peninsula) and it is completely "guarded"/closed off from the outside. This is one of my favorite stops though and they recently, within the past few years, have added a tremendous amount of activities. I could go to this stop multiple times and not get sick of it like other ports... cough, cough, Cozumel! :p Does anyone remember the good old days of tendering here?!

Today we did not really have anything going on besides the zip line and relaxing on the beach with Labadooize or aka Labadabadoozie (their specialty drink at this stop, only available here)! I have been on this zip line before and cannot rave about it enough. While it is a short ride and expensive at $90, it is just an incredible experience to see that view at the top and to zip over the mountain and ocean. I will have an in-depth review of that in a later post. We got off this ship as soon as we could and were delighted to walk off without a line. It was another scorching hot day like in Puerto Rico only this time it was also sunny! Good thing I had my swimsuit on and was ready to jump in the ocean! The water temp here was a great temperature. It cooled you off, but wasn't shocking to get in to. We wen't to Nellie's Beach this time. This is the best beach to go to if you do not have kids or you aren't traveling in a suite. It is a cove and you get a beautiful view of the ship from the water. Get there early because people know it is one of the better beaches here! The other side of the peninsula is more rocky and there are larger waves. You can rent a private cabana if you would like however, they cost a pretty penny! I want to say close to $200... Barefoot Beach Club is exclusive to suite guests. The major perk here is they have their own food line unlike all of us who have to go to the main buffet on the island, which tends to pick up a good line during prime lunch time. Columbus Cove is on the far end of the peninsula and includes an amazing aquatic park out in the ocean! Here you'll find the absolute best view of the ship along with the most activities for your kids. There is also a waterslide, which I think is not worth the price ($22 for an all day pass). To get to Columbus Cove, you'll have to walk past Nelli's Beach. Nellie's Beach has a hidden bar on the left hand side if you're facing the ocean. It was never busy there as I don't think people explored much (it is not out in the open).

There is a market to shop for local Haitian goods, but it was very annoying to go to because about 20 Haitian's will swarm you and your family to try and get your business! It is very sad because I think many more people would look at their goods and even purchase them if they weren't so pushy. There aren't very good vibes here and most people tend to walk right away before they even get to the shops because they see everyone waiting to take their "business".

Hmm there is so much to say about Labadee! If you like adventure I would definitely suggest the Dragon's Breath Flightline (zip line), Dragon's Breath Coaster, or perhaps a ride on the jet ski's. Just know one thing: everything is expensive here because it is their private island and they know you can't do anything else besides their excursions. I definitely recommend purchasing any excursion here before your cruise, especially the zip line. Usually there is not a line for the alpine roller coaster or water slide.

If you have the drink package, it will work on this island!! They bring the food off from the ship and present it in the main buffet alongside Adrenaline Beach.

Since there is so much dealing with Labadee, please feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I have been here 3 times, so I know my way around and what they have to offer pretty well. It will work better if you ask me your questions!

27657528755_b688aa160c_b.jpg

Free chairs for us on Nellie's Beach!

27657530005_c8a9a60696_b.jpg

Nellie's Beach cabana's (you do not have to be in a suite for these!)

27657531795_4acaae99ed_b.jpg

27045740454_180261c22c_b.jpg

27557299322_4c6dd548f2_b.jpg

Edited by swim13

Dragon's Breath

Flight Line!

Labadee, Haiti

343kpxu.jpg

To sign in, go about 10-15 minutes before your scheduled time. Make sure you bring your ticket and give yourself enough time to sign a quick two page safety waiver. If you do not have your ticket, they will probably be able to find your reservation. If your kid is under either 18 or 16, (sorry, I don't remember the exact age!) they will need you with them. You will need to go to Dragon's Plaza and just look for a building near Adrenaline Beach with a line near it lol! =P But in all seriousness, it's super easy to find. You will then go to an open room with lockers (I never checked for the ones here, but the lockers near the coaster were free so I assume these were too) and wait for your tour guide. They will then lead you to a room to get your harness and helmet. It is really an easy and fast process. The harness is very comfortable and even has two big pads near your bum so you can actually "sit" while going down. No need to worry about carrying the "wheels" on your back since they do it for you! After you get your equipment you will go back outside to another outdoor area and wait for your tour guide to give you instructions. They will take attendance and go over the basic, common sense rules and then you will be guided to walk up to the practice run, which is very close by. Beware, you will have to "hike" up a rather small hill to get to the practice one.

Your tour guide will line you up and show you how to position your body while riding down the zip line. You used to be able to choose between two body positions to go faster or slower, although this time there was only one position. The practice run is very short and takes some time to get everyone through. I would stand near the stairs that lead to nowhere because that is where the caravan will pick you up to take you up the mountain.

You get to relax on a ride up the mountain, actually I'm not sure if you want to use "relaxing" as the word! You will pass the compound that the workers on the island live in and then exit the guarded territory. It was kind of scary seeing the signs with the native language and a picture of a gun with a big red circle and line over it! I'm not sure how safe I felt as the driver put the "petal to the metal", but I trusted him! You have about a 2 minute ride through the jungle until you get to the gates to enter the area to walk to the platform. The road is slightly scary, but nothing worse than the roads up here after the winter season! There is not much of a walk until you see the "AMAZING, OMG, WOW, IS THIS REAL LIFE" view!! The view is seriously worth the price, the ride is a bonus! =P Once you get down after about a ride that lasts over a minute, you will get a picture taken, they will unstrap you, and then you will go return your equipment to the building you signed in.

I can't suggest this excursion more, it was just the best!! It probably lasted only an hour and it is totally worth it. I really wish I could do it again and I most likely will the next time I'm back in Labadee (this happened to be true, haha!). If you are considering this zip-line, don't hesitate, book it now! Here are a few more pointers to help you out

P.S. I copy and pasted this from my Allure review in 2013 however, I have updated it for the most recent and correct information!

• They say you need "closed-toed shoes" but I saw many people wearing flip flops. I personally wore water shoes the whole day, they worked perfect for walking, swimming, and doing this excursion.
  • You are allowed to bring any camera you want! I really wish I brought my camera with me, but I just didn't feel safe with it. Plus I was bringing my GoPro that can take pictures.
  • Helmets aren't worn, so I you could use a head strap mount for the GoPro if you bring one, it worked PERFECT for me!
  • Allow yourself at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours, it all depends if you're first on the zip-line.
  • The cost is $95 and is booked through RCI (either online in your cruise planner, on the ship at Guest Services, or even in Labadee). I suggest booking online to ensure you get a place at the time you want. The price seems high, but I think its pretty realistic since it's their private island to be honest.

(These pictures are from my Allure review, but I figured they were relevant)

Here's where you sign in, can you spot the lockers?!

9264145993_51447962ed_o.jpg

This is the compound you pass where the workers on the island live, they are gated too.

9264140123_1705c55de6_o.jpg

Like I said, I didn't bring my camera that I've been taking all the pictures you see here with and instead took the picture you're about to see from my GoPro. I have updated this picture because I had a newer GoPro this time and it takes much better quality pictures!Anyway, LOOK AT THIS VIEW!!!!

27728190181_af80924dc0_b.jpg

Now I will include my old POV video of the Dragon's Breath Flight Line since I didn't upload a new one this trip. I may do it since it is better quality, but nonetheless it is still a great way to get some insight into what it's like!

Dragon's Breath Flight Line POV!!!

Please change the quality to 720p HD for the best viewing experience, sorry the White Edition GoPro 3 just isn't very superb, but will still do the trick.

Click the link below, because I'm not sure how to properly embed a YouTube video on this message board!

Click here to view the video! ---->

Mike, I love the pictures of you in the fort from 2004 and 2016. I hope you have made copies of that for both of your parents. I'm sure they would love it!

I can hardly wait until our Oasis cruise in November so I can do the zipline at Labadee! I have been wanting to ride that zipline since they first opened it, but was unable to do so on our cruise on Indy last year due to injuries. I was very disappointed at the time, but it made me even more deterimned to get back to Labadee to get on that ride! That zipline, and scuba in Cozumel are the only things I have as definite in my plans for the Oasis cruise at this point, and I can't wait for both activities! :cool:

Mike - your pictures of Adrenaline Beach, Labadee and the Anthem OTS makes me want to shut my laptop, grab my car keys, drive home, get my wife and passports, take a 20 hour flight to the US and get on the ship NOW !

Sigh. Tuesday morning blues after a 3 week vacation.

Hey Mike! Thanks for your great review :) I'm sorry to hear about your problems early in the cruise, but your photos are fantastic and it looks like you made the best of it. I enjoyed Anthem but I prefer the Oasis class or Celebrity's Solstice class. I'm looking forward to cruising on Harmony in February.

I'm gonna continue reading and I look forward to your overall thoughts and future reviews :)

Edward

Also, you inspire me to start writing my own reviews!

Ahhh Labadee. This night was a really fun night! I was very excited because we had reservations for "The Gift" in the Royal Theatre. This was the 3rd and final main production of our cruise and I knew the cast from "We Will Rock You" would be in it, which made me even more excited!

Of course I will never spoil the shows for you, but I can tell you that this show was also really great! As always, I suggest getting there about 30 minutes prior for the best seats. 10 minutes prior is open for all. I didn't really understand the story of the show until about the last 15 minutes and when I did, it really left an impression!

Dinner was in American Icon tonight and I had a delicious dessert! It was honestly so yummy! After dinner we went to Two70 for Quest. Quest is another Royal Caribbean specific event and it is always so fun! Two70 is an amazing venue for this, although a tad small, so get there early for better seating! There will be seats set up on the back part of the stage, near the robotic screens, that you can sit at. Nobody really knew you could sit there until they made an announcement and it turned out to be great seating, so heads up if you can't find a seat elsewhere. If you are not sure what Quest is, it is a gameshow type event where the audience is split up into 5 sections. 2 volunteers from each section will be chosen to be captains and then the audience will get a chance to join in if they have whatever is needed to be done or shown to get points. If you're still confused, just go to it the next time you're on a RCI ship! ;)

27047330493_d494ffa29b_b.jpg

27047330863_852316068f_b.jpg

27047331743_41f2a10e59_b.jpg

27047332943_e84d7cf156_b.jpg

27557390792_6bc103f832_b.jpg

Day 7 END!

Edited by swim13

Thanks so much! There are huge comfy chairs located throughout the Solarium however, you will need to get there early or enjoy them later around 5:00 pm. There are also a few of them outside of the Solarium located in the indoor pool. Secret food locations would be Seaplex Dog House or Solarium Bistro! People will discover them, but they will be less packed than other places. Two70 isn't as busy in the first few days. Crowds aren't much of an issue, just don't go to the busier places like Windjammer at prime eating times!

Ooooh, a photo of my favorite cafe, Caficultura, with the best latte I have found in San Juan!! Thanks for your review.

I will have to try it out next time we are there! It is very close to the ship!

Hello again!

Loving every bit of the review! Do you happen to know if you are dining in one complimentary restaurant, can you order something off of a menu from a different complimentary restaurant? Someone told me that you can and it makes sense since I'm guessing they are making a lot of things in the kitchen. Just wondering if you ever did that.

Thanks!

Welcome back!! There is a classic side of the menu that has similar items in all complimentary restaurants. Trust me, there will be something for everyone in each restaurant! One menu didn't have the Royal Chocolate Cake, but they brought us one anyway. I think you are on the right page, it must be the same kitchen, although I am sure it might not be easy for them to get items from other restaurants. I think it is easier to get something from the complimentary restaurant next door instead of the one below or above.

I don't want to seem picky but it is El Morro that you sailed by on the way out from San Juan not San Cristobal.

Thank you! I actually just figured this out yesterday because I was posting on Instagram and tagged the location! I always thought San Cristobal was the whole fort in general and El Morro was that specific location. I knew it was El Morro. My mistake, thanks for correcting me!

Mike, I love the pictures of you in the fort from 2004 and 2016. I hope you have made copies of that for both of your parents. I'm sure they would love it!

I can hardly wait until our Oasis cruise in November so I can do the zipline at Labadee! I have been wanting to ride that zipline since they first opened it, but was unable to do so on our cruise on Indy last year due to injuries. I was very disappointed at the time, but it made me even more deterimned to get back to Labadee to get on that ride! That zipline, and scuba in Cozumel are the only things I have as definite in my plans for the Oasis cruise at this point, and I can't wait for both activities! :cool:

Thank you! My parents love it!

Omg you will absolutely love that zipline! Now you will enjoy it even more since you've been waiting for so long. My stepdad was going to ride it this time, but was unable too, so he feels your pain!

Mike - your pictures of Adrenaline Beach, Labadee and the Anthem OTS makes me want to shut my laptop, grab my car keys, drive home, get my wife and passports, take a 20 hour flight to the US and get on the ship NOW !

Sigh. Tuesday morning blues after a 3 week vacation.

Hahaha! Your pictures make me want to get back on Allure!! :D

Hey Mike! Thanks for your great review :) I'm sorry to hear about your problems early in the cruise, but your photos are fantastic and it looks like you made the best of it. I enjoyed Anthem but I prefer the Oasis class or Celebrity's Solstice class. I'm looking forward to cruising on Harmony in February.

I'm gonna continue reading and I look forward to your overall thoughts and future reviews :)

Edward

Also, you inspire me to start writing my own reviews!

Thank you! We definitely prefer Oasis class! I am so jealous that you will be on the Harmony! Glad to have you here!

If you had to choose the least favorable dining choice, which would it be for the complimentary and the specialty.

I did not eat at a specialty restaurant however, I heard raving reviews from other people of Wonderland and Chops. I think Izumi would be my least favorite if I tried. Mostly because I don't like a lot of sushi. Least favorite complimentary would be American Icon Grill. The food was good, but I liked the design the least and the food was most bland here (not that it was bad!).

Thanks again for the info!

I hate to keep bugging you, but...

Is the Solarium Bistro opened to everyone? I thought I heard someone mention it was only for suite guests...

Do you happen to remember if the cabin doors are metal? I like to decorate our door and just wanted to make sure magnets will work.

Thank you!

(North Star rant...)

We made a reservation for North Star at 4:00 pm on this day because we thought it would be awesome to go up in while we were sailing away (departure time is 4:00 pm).

Glad I read your review, as we made our North Star reservation at the same time, for the same reason! Hopefully I can change it to a better time once onboard.

Have enjoyed reading your review. It has only increased my excitement for our turn aboard Anthem.

... Do you happen to remember if the cabin doors are metal? I like to decorate our door and just wanted to make sure magnets will work.

Thank you!

Stateroom doors and walls are metal.

I did not eat at a specialty restaurant however, I heard raving reviews from other people of Wonderland and Chops. I think Izumi would be my least favorite if I tried. Mostly because I don't like a lot of sushi. Least favorite complimentary would be American Icon Grill. The food was good, but I liked the design the least and the food was most bland here (not that it was bad!).

Thanks Mike.