South Pacific Islands

I am looking to book a trip from the UK to Australia & New Zealand and whilst there we are hoping to take in a cruise visiting Tahiti, Bora Bora etc.

I would be most interested in people's thoughts please on whether it would be better to begin the cruise at Sydney (I assume - 7 to 14 days ?)or whether it would it be best to begin the cruise at Tahiti (could consider a cruise & stay to Bora Bora). Also much appreciate comments on the best cruise ships for this type of experience and perhaps the best time of year to travel.

Many thanks for your help.

I suggest you investigate the Transpacific relocation cruises. The go from Hawaii to Tahiti, Bora Bora and Moorea, then NZ (Auckland and Bay of Islands) and onto Sydney or reverse. They tend to do them in October and then return in April. (Royal or X). While in Australia you could pick up another NZ or Aussie cruise.:D

I suggest you investigate the Transpacific relocation cruises. The go from Hawaii to Tahiti, Bora Bora and Moorea, then NZ (Auckland and Bay of Islands) and onto Sydney or reverse. They tend to do them in October and then return in April. (Royal or X). While in Australia you could pick up another NZ or Aussie cruise.:D

Thanks MicCanberra, I don't have any knowledge of these cruises so something for me to look into but picking up a cruise from Hawaii sounds interesting as we intend to stay there for a few days en route to NZ/Australia. A cruise & stay option is something we would be interested in as we would like to stay a few days in Bora Bora and we are looking to travel around New Zealand (South Island) and Australia (Barrier Reef, Sydney etc).

Are you able to suggest any NZ/Aussie cruises please. Thank You.

If you're looking at flying there, these are the main cruise options I know of:

https://aranui.com/

http://www.pgcruises.com/

The alternative as said above are the one way cruises that go past there. They don't spend as much time there, but then you have the saving of one airfare, and may be more convenient.

If you go to the Ports of Call, Pacific Islands there are many posts from people doing some amazing trips around places I had never heard of. I was helping someone the other day with their Fiji and Tonga ports, they were doing a cruise called Tales of the South Pacific with HAL.

I am already doing some research on what might be available out of Hawaii.

When we were on our Tonga trip there was an historian aboard who gave us a wonderful overview of the history of the area including Tahiti it sounds like such a beautiful place.

I am looking to book a trip from the UK to Australia & New Zealand and whilst there we are hoping to take in a cruise visiting Tahiti, Bora Bora etc.

I would be most interested in people's thoughts please on whether it would be better to begin the cruise at Sydney (I assume - 7 to 14 days ?)or whether it would it be best to begin the cruise at Tahiti (could consider a cruise & stay to Bora Bora). Also much appreciate comments on the best cruise ships for this type of experience and perhaps the best time of year to travel.

It all depends on how long you have and how much you want to spend, but by far the best way to see Tahiti is with a cruise like Paul Gauguin. For which you'd need to fly to Papeete. Just passing through Papeete and Moorea on a repositioning cruise won't give a particularly good impression of the islands.

Sydney to Papeete is further than London to New York, so fitting in Oz and Tahiti in one trip is a bit of an ask. But if you have the time and the money, go for it.

Personally, if you are in Oz and want a South Pacific experience I would try for a cruise from Sydney that included Fiji and/or Tonga. Or else fly to Tahiti and cruise locally.

It all depends on how long you have and how much you want to spend, but by far the best way to see Tahiti is with a cruise like Paul Gauguin. For which you'd need to fly to Papeete. Just passing through Papeete and Moorea on a repositioning cruise won't give a particularly good impression of the islands.
That really depends, if one day on each island is considered enough. Personally, I think it is, even with PG cruises, you only get one day on each island.

Sydney to Papeete is further than London to New York, so fitting in Oz and Tahiti in one trip is a bit of an ask. But if you have the time and the money, go for it.

Personally, if you are in Oz and want a South Pacific experience I would try for a cruise from Sydney that included Fiji and/or Tonga. Or else fly to Tahiti and cruise locally.

I think the main pint is how much time (and money) the OP wants to spend and also what are the priorities on where to spend that time.:D

There aren't many cruises that go Tahiti to Sydney or reverse.

Do you have a preference for line, or time?

Apologies for the delayed reply, I have had PC problems.

We do not have any preference regarding line but I am assuming Jan to Mar would be the best time.

If you go to the Ports of Call, Pacific Islands there are many posts from people doing some amazing trips around places I had never heard of. I was helping someone the other day with their Fiji and Tonga ports, they were doing a cruise called Tales of the South Pacific with HAL.

I am already doing some research on what might be available out of Hawaii.

When we were on our Tonga trip there was an historian aboard who gave us a wonderful overview of the history of the area including Tahiti it sounds like such a beautiful place.

Thanks Peter I will look into those.

I will have another look at the Paul Gaugin cruises but my first impression was they were incredibly expensive.

That really depends, if one day on each island is considered enough. Personally, I think it is, even with PG cruises, you only get one day on each island.

I think the main pint is how much time (and money) the OP wants to spend and also what are the priorities on where to spend that time.:D

To see a few islands, even if only for one day, would be nice but we are also hoping to stay a few days at Bora Bora.

Lets face it, SP is not cheap. You do not go for 7 days. But I feel the splurge is worth it. Oceania, with its small ships, probably has the most cruises. I did it as several WC segments on O Insignia. One of my favorite cruises ever. Also Celebrity Solstice does Transpacific twice a year. Start in Sydney or Vancouver.

Edited by zoncom