Formal Nights - Can You Opt Out?

Jdell

And these questions have been answered for them. It was not needed for someone to come on here basically telling them to stay off Cunard ships because that person does not like seeing people dressed informally in designated informal areas on formal nights.

Fair enough.

Is there an extra charge for room service? I have only sailed HAL - where there isn't. I just like to know up front about these things.

I have never owned a formal dress or sparkly top and don't intend to now. I'm not a entertainment person, I only go out in the evenings to eat.

QM2 is my only way to get home from Europe without flying and I am looking forward to my first Cunard line sailing. I leave Thursday.

There is no charge for room service, have a wonderful time. It's definitely a better option than flying if you have the time.

Happily at sea,

I am too! And I am of the school that as long is one is respectful of any culture all one finds oneself in, that is all that is required. I had to wear a hajib for ten days in Iran, but it was my choice to go there. If I felt like taking it off, I went to my room and even stayed off the balcony, In the Central American countries I go to, I would not wear a short skirt or a revealing blouse. That said, I have been known to skinny dip under the cover of night,

On a cruise ship, I would either participate in the formal nights, or follow the appropriate alternatives and respect my fellow cruisers.

A thread titled dress code is by nature going to draw strong responses, as this is a treasured cunard tradition and really special as other lines have abandoned this lovely ritual.

Personally, I don't view evenings on board as the last meal I will ever eat. I am privileged enough to be able to enjoy many fine restaurants on a regular basis. I love being at sea and I love the dining rooms, but I am aok with a few nights off and less sitting.

So you can be happy at sea! Lovely handle.

There is no charge for room service, have a wonderful time. It's definitely a better option than flying if you have the time.

Thanks for the information, I would have ordered anyway.

I've been retired 17 years and have plenty of time - I don't like being squeezed into a seat for a few/many hours just to get somewhere quicker. I remember when flying used to be fun.

Happily at sea,

I am too! And I am of the school that as long is one is respectful of any culture all one finds oneself in, that is all that is required. I had to wear a hajib for ten days in Iran, but it was my choice to go there. If I felt like taking it off, I went to my room and even stayed off the balcony, In the Central American countries I go to, I would not wear a short skirt or a revealing blouse. That said, I have been known to skinny dip under the cover of night,

On a cruise ship, I would either participate in the formal nights, or follow the appropriate alternatives and respect my fellow cruisers.

A thread titled dress code is by nature going to draw strong responses, as this is a treasured cunard tradition and really special as other lines have abandoned this lovely ritual.

Personally, I don't view evenings on board as the last meal I will ever eat. I am privileged enough to be able to enjoy many fine restaurants on a regular basis. I love being at sea and I love the dining rooms, but I am aok with a few nights off and less sitting.

So you can be happy at sea! Lovely handle.

I don't like to rock the boat so to speak, and I never have liked spending 2 hours at dinner - so this is all good to me. If I didn't have to eat, I would never come out in the evening.

We'll see how it goes and hope everyone on the ship is happy with the results and no offended pax.

I don't like to rock the boat so to speak, and I never have liked spending 2 hours at dinner - so this is all good to me. If I didn't have to eat, I would never come out in the evening.

We'll see how it goes and hope everyone on the ship is happy with the results and no offended pax.

You will meet lots of wonderful people (true Cunarders) on a TA, who will accept you for you, without any snobbishness or pomposity. Go and enjoy yourself. One is certain you will have a great crossing, and hope this is the first of many. If you need a hug after this thread, consider it sent.

My last transatlantic voyage on the QM2 was about ten years ago when every night was formal except for the first night. Now I am expecting 3 formal and 5 informal nights on the 8 night crossing.

My question is whether it would be appropriate to wear a light colored jacket for informal nights or would I feel more comfortable with something that was darker in color such as a blue blazer. I was specifically thinking of a white linen jacket. Thanks for any tips.

Both styles sound fine.

How I imagine this playing out on board:

The evening arrived; the passengers took their places. The Maitre de, in his Cunard uniform, stationed himself at the entrance; his assistants ranged themselves behind him; the table service was set out; and a long queue of freshly prepared meals awaited consumption. For many, the first course had already disappeared; a newly arrived family, dressed ever so casually, whispered to each other, and looked over the formal splendour of the dining room and its occupants; while a bejewelled woman next to them furiously nudged her husband in disgust. Dressed as they were, they were desperate with hunger after a day of touring ashore. They entered the dining room; and advancing to the Maitre de, table number card in hand, said: somewhat alarmed at their own temerity:

'Please, sir, we would like to be seated.'

The Maitre de was a fat, healthy man; but he turned very pale. He gazed in stupified astonishment on the small rebel party for some seconds, and then clung for support to the table. The assistants were paralysed with wonder; fellow passengers at tables nearby with fear.

'What!' said the Maitre de at length, in a faint voice.

'Please, sir,' replied the underdressed family, 'we would like to be seated.'

The Maitre de aimed a blow at their heads with a silver fish fork; several waiters pinioned them in their arms; and shrieked aloud for the Captain.*

One can only wish!

Hi All,

I am considering a 7-night Mediterranean Cruise in August. My husband and I are 53 and 49, respectively and we are bringing our "adult" children, ages 21 and 19. While we do like to dress, I really would prefer to not have to bring formal dresses and tuxes/suits on this trip.

Are there alternative dining options on the formal nights or is it totally taboo to go on a Cunard cruise and not participate in formal nights?

Thanks!

Prior to our first TA Crossing on QM2, we had exactly the same concerns.

Formal Nights seemed to be a burden for us and we had to buy some clothing becaiuse we wanted to comply with the code. Plan B was dining in King's Court.

However, we immediately fell in love with the atmosphere - particularly on formal nights - and have never missed one out during our 7 trips.

So, please try it out - you never know if you are starting to love it - we certainly did ;)

Is there an extra charge for room service? I have only sailed HAL - where there isn't. I just like to know up front about these things.

I have never owned a formal dress or sparkly top and don't intend to now. I'm not a entertainment person, I only go out in the evenings to eat.

QM2 is my only way to get home from Europe without flying and I am looking forward to my first Cunard line sailing. I leave Thursday.

We're sailing Cunard on a transatlantic next summer for the same reason; we don't fly. And we'll be following your example in the evenings, too. I'd love to hear your thoughts after you complete your cruise.

We're sailing Cunard on a transatlantic next summer for the same reason; we don't fly. And we'll be following your example in the evenings, too. I'd love to hear your thoughts after you complete your cruise.

I'm on my third day - well fourth now - First night had room service and they got my order exactly right. the next night - King's Court buffet [went directly to my room to buffet with no wandering around any other areas- their request in the room literature]. Last night I was also in buffet, I did try room service - all lines were busy - advised to call back, decided not to wait and went to buffet.

All different dress in buffet: from dressy casual, nice casual [me] to jeans/pants and casual tops. No shorts or tank tops anywhere. I found the food choices to be limited but quantity no problem. Not at all crowded, which is probably why the choice limitations are there. We had a couple of people on formal night pass through the buffet, him in tux - her in very nice dress - no sneers, no comments, just a slow walk through and on out.

No nasty looks, no comments from people I've met in hallways going to the buffet. I'm happy and I do what I normally do in the evening.

It would be a shame to spend a premium to sail on Cunard and end up most evenings not enjoying the atmosphere on offer in the beautiful venues/ cocktail bars and end up dining in the self service buffet.

I appreciate you may not want to take along too much formal wear, but surely you'll still want to enjoy the 'informal evenings', however that still means for males a 'Jacket' at least ( although most will opt for a suit) after six pm in all venues throughout the ship.

95% of folk who choose to sail Cunard, do so for the enforced evening dress code. Almost everyone will make the evenings a sense of occasion 'especially the ladies', something we don't get the opportunity to do at home or on a land based vacation.

I agree here. For the life of me i can never figure out why formal dress is such a problem. A formal jacket is a jacket a bow tie is a tie....A ball gown is a long dress..etc etc...

Edited by sandjango