Private Van Excursions booked through Princess

macandlucy

We are sailing on the Royal Princess in August (Rome to Athens), and I have booked a couple of private excursions (van and guide) through the Princess website.

I am now wondering if anyone has done this and what their experiences were with both the guides and also with the process of selecting which sites we wish to see. I did call and ask, and the Princess rep told me that is something you see the shor ex desk about. I like to pre plan, so this is a little bit outside my comfort zone!

Have done it through HAL, not Princess. But the format was, when you arrive in your cabin, there will be paperwork on the arranged tour, asking you what your goals and desires are...list specific sites you want to see, or activities you want to do here. Turn back in to the shore excursion desk, and they get the info to your guide.

Works pretty well.

We have done it twice with Princess and the process was as CruiserBruce described. Also, when you meet the guide on the day of the excursion they will tell you what they planned and ask if you wan to make any changes.

Thanks CruiserBruce and Alicomp, much appreciated. I guess I can still do my preplanning and just bring that with me on the cruise.

Alicomp, was your experience with the guide good? Were are looking at doing two privates -- one in Istanbul, which I feel pretty sure about, and one in Ephesus, where I do want someone who knows a lot about the Ephesus site and the Terrace Houses site. I am not sure if it is smarter to go with the Princess "private" or get an actual private excursion. Any suggestions?

Thanks CruiserBruce and Alicomp, much appreciated. I guess I can still do my preplanning and just bring that with me on the cruise.

Alicomp, was your experience with the guide good? Were are looking at doing two privates -- one in Istanbul, which I feel pretty sure about, and one in Ephesus, where I do want someone who knows a lot about the Ephesus site and the Terrace Houses site. I am not sure if it is smarter to go with the Princess "private" or get an actual private excursion. Any suggestions?

I am sure your guide will be fine...

I have never done any cruise line booked private vans although I have done many independently booked vans. I will bet that my private van tours were cheaper than yours. Something to think about. Did you compare prices? After all, the cruise line vans are probably exactly the same vans and driver as I can do independently but without the significant percentage that the cruise line demands from the driver.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Due to recent terrorists attacks in Turkey, some recent cruises have had the itinerary changed to avoid those ports.

I have never done any cruise line booked private vans although I have done many independently booked vans. I will bet that my private van tours were cheaper than yours. Something to think about. Did you compare prices? After all, the cruise line vans are probably exactly the same vans and driver as I can do independently but without the significant percentage that the cruise line demands from the driver.

DON

I did compare some prices and surprisingly, the Istanbul private van through Princess is about the same or cheaper than doing it independently. Not so for Ephesus, where it is quite a bit more. Our cruise is not until late August though, so we still have time to investigate. Thanks for the heads up :)

Due to recent terrorists attacks in Turkey, some recent cruises have had the itinerary changed to avoid those ports.

Do you know how recent? And was it Princess? I know that NCL cancelled all Turkey stops this year, maybe other lines as well, but as far as I know (which ain't too far ;), Princess has not cancelled any. I guess we are in wait-and-see mode for now.