PVSA Question

Cruise Raider

I don't see any problem with this but am going to ask the experts just to make sure I don't do something silly ... and find out about it after everything is booked.

I am looking at a repositioning cruise -- Vancouver to Los Angeles -- then changing cruiselines on the day we disembark and doing an LA closed looped cruise. Since I am starting in a foreign port (I live in the US) and sailing to a US port ... I should be ok. Right??

I don't see any problem with this but am going to ask the experts just to make sure I don't do something silly ... and find out about it after everything is booked.

I am looking at a repositioning cruise -- Vancouver to Los Angeles -- then changing cruiselines on the day we disembark and doing an LA closed looped cruise. Since I am starting in a foreign port (I live in the US) and sailing to a US port ... I should be ok. Right??

Since you starting in a foreign port (Vancouver BC) going to LA. You can take a closed loops cruise on the same ship and cruise line and still not contravene the PVSA.

All the above replies are correct.

PVSA only prohibits boarding in one USA port and disembarking in a different USA port unless the itinerary included a distant foreign port.

So you could not board a ship in Seattle and disembark in Anchorage (if such an itinerary existed) because the ship is unlikely to go to a distant foreign port.

The PVSA is from 1886. I think it's time to take another look at it and maybe get rid of the thing!!!

Since the effects of the PVSA extend far beyond the cruise industry, I have to disagree with you on this. And here is a quote from a study done by the University of Hawaii during the last uproar over the PVSA and NCL in Hawaii:

" The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA, 2007) polled its own members on their

sentiments toward the potential repeal of the PVSA and reported that “While a reformed

Passenger Vessel Services Act might add some new U.S. ports to cruise itineraries, most of our

members believe that this would not be significant, especially in light of the restrictions that

likely would be attached.” Thus CLIA is currently not advocating a change to the PVSA. "

The important part is bolded (mine), showing that CLIA feels it would be of no significant financial benefit to them to change the PVSA.

Another PVSA question... Could a cruise line operate a US cruise in violation of the act and designate a $ 300 per passenger charge added to the cruise cost? OR is there some other penalty for which the company would be liable?

While not specifically stipulated in the Act, or in the accompanying US Code, (and I haven't seen everything about PVSA in the CFR), if CBP feels that a ship or line is intentionally violating the law, they could rescind that ships ability to embark passengers in US ports, effectively stopping the practice completely.

Since the effects of the PVSA extend far beyond the cruise industry, I have to disagree with you on this. And here is a quote from a study done by the University of Hawaii during the last uproar over the PVSA and NCL in Hawaii:

" The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA, 2007) polled its own members on their

sentiments toward the potential repeal of the PVSA and reported that “While a reformed

Passenger Vessel Services Act might add some new U.S. ports to cruise itineraries, most of our

members believe that this would not be significant, especially in light of the restrictions that

likely would be attached.” Thus CLIA is currently not advocating a change to the PVSA. "

The important part is bolded (mine), showing that CLIA feels it would be of no significant financial benefit to them to change the PVSA.

Did they mention any positive advantage about leaving it as it is? From our perspective, it prevented us from taking two cruises we otherwise would have taken! What about the passenger benefits?

Arlene

Edited by moodyb1

Did they mention any positive advantage about leaving it as it is? From our perspective, it prevented us from taking two cruises we otherwise would have taken! What about the passenger benefits?

Arlene

Well, if the cruise lines don't foresee any financial benefit from it, it presumes then that there will not be much of a general benefit to the US. From the narrow perspective of a cruise vacation, it might seem a large hinderance, but to the thousands of US citizens employed on all the passenger vessels that are protected by the PVSA and that are not cruise vessels (as stated previously, ferries, commuter boats, water taxis, excursion boats and charter fishing vessels), and the thousands of people who support these jobs, and the millions of dollars in US revenue generated by keeping these jobs US, as well as the US public in general by maintaining the highest standard of ship safety, environmental practices and training therefore keeping our country safe and healthy, keeping the PVSA has a lot of positive advantages to keeping it as is.

My understanding is that it also pertains to air travel within the US. It precludes foreign airlines from coming to the US and flying between US cities. There are apparently other effects not related to the cruise industry.

While the concept of cabotage is the same, the law applying to airlines is a different law than the PVSA.