Immigration Letter

ski ww

We are from Canada taking our 7 year old great grand daughter on a New Years cruise. We know we need a letter from her parents giving us permission to take her out of the country. Have heard different stories on what the letter has to say. Do we need a letter for each country that we visit or will one letter with the name of the ship, dates & the itinerary do the trick? Our TA says just a letter covering every thing, also waiting to hear back from HAL. Love to hear back from other grand parents who have gone through this. Thanks

Allan & Marlane

Also just wanted to mention that we had our letter of consent notarized here in Quebec at no charge by a bail bondsmen (commissioner of oaths). It does not have to be done by a lawyer ($$) or a notary public ($).

You should be able to find a commissioner of oaths online of someone near where you live; you can also contact your MPs office to help you locate someone.

Edited by Nghthawke
fix typo

I'm a single parent with sole custody but still take a stat dec sworn by DDs father acknowledging the status and consenting to her travel. In addition, I review the requirements of the country I am visiting to make sure the information on the GoC website is valid. I have also taken my DD's friend with us to the US and prepared the letter of travel permission as a stat dec. It states the parent's name, dates and places of travel, and permission to go with me. It can be a simple letter, preferably notarized, as well that says the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Be sure the letter also authorizes you to seek and authorize medical treatment, should it become necessary. Just in case.

The letter should also mention the ending date is to be extended under emergency circumstances, including (but not limited to) on-going travel arrangements being delayed.

Mention the name of the ship and all countries you will be visiting. if flying, mention name ofhairline and date of your flights.

Edited by sail7seas

We took our grandaughter to Alaska last summer (Vancouver - Vancouver) armed with a notarized letter signed by both her parents, her passport and birth certificate. HAL rep asked for the letter and passport and made photo copies of both. US officials in Vancouver also asked for letter and passport.

We will be crossing the border by car with her next month for a road trip down the west coast and I will have an updated letter, passport and BC for her again. Vancouverites of a certain age well remember when crossing into Washington state for a day of shopping or a cheap gas fillup was as easy as going to the corner store. We often travelled with another family and the kids freely moved from one vehicle to another so we might not even have our own aboard as we reached the customs station. How things changed after 9/11.

Mention the name of the ship and all countries you will be visiting. if flying, mention name ofhairline and date of your flights.

I would have concerns about being too specific and list airlines. If there are flight changes that might require changes to airline suppliers, then you have potentially boxed yourself in.

I have in the past required dates, location, allowance to seek medical treatment and a framework of action in the chance of travel delay home when either I or ex travelled internationally with kids. One letter per trip sufficed.

We were on an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver in May with 2 of our grandchildren. The boys are cousins.

Both sets of parents filled out the standard letter on the Canadian Govt web site, snd had it signed by a lawyer. Who actually did it in the school yard while picking up his daughter.

While going through Customs in Vancouver I was asked if I had a letter which I produced.

Both our daughters go by their middle names. The officer asked each of them

What's your mothers first name.? To which they replied and then said but she uses her second name.

That was the only time we were asked for any letter. Not even asked by HAL at embarkation