Name tags

Putterdude

As Aussieflyer pointed out, none of us who find the names on cabins problematic are telling Princess, any other cruise line, or anyone here to change their policy. People want to leave them up then that's for them to decide. However, there are other just as valid opinions and they were given.

So true. If Princess ever decide to do away with the name plates it won't be because 5 people on CC chose to remove theirs :eek:, it will be because of cost-cutting and their bottom line.

And I wouldn't be concerned about identity theft because your full name is on display, I'd be more concerned about a bunch of strangers knowing that your home is unattended, and they know EXACTLY when you are due to return. It doesn't take a genius!

To each his/her own :D!

Probably as much time as you spend snarking ... evidence your recent posts on the princess@sea app and free gratuities.

Pleasure.

BTW, cruise critic has a way for one to block the posts of individuals they don't wish to see.

You might avail yourself of it.

Edited by pablo222

I like them.

We also cruise Celebrity and they don't have them. We've had several occasions when we were supposed to leave something for a friend and I've had to track down the steward to make sure I'm leaving it at the correct cabin.

(Nothing valuable - just bottles of water, small souvenir, etc.)

I'm totally paranoid about my full name not being on here to alert the wrong people I'm not home but taking a cruise to read name tags and alert thieves across the world seems like more trouble and expense than it's worth.

I like walking down the hall and looking at the status labels. I don't care what anyone particular is I just like to see how many are newbies and how many are long time cruisers. I have to admit I've looked at the name - but that is when I am trying to locate someone. We often travel with family and friends and finding their cabins can sometimes be a challenge. Heck, sometimes finding my cabin can be a challenge.

Since my user name is not associated to my real name in any way, good luck on finding out where I live from it. My house has an alarm system and I live in a nice neighborhood with neighbors that watch out for each other. We always notify them when we are leaving. I don't really go on Facebook that much and never rarely go on the internet while on a cruise.

For those that have been cruising a really long time on Princess - well when it was Sitmar - do you remember when they used to give you a book with everyone's name, cabin number and home town.

:D

Yes.

Would you like a couple?

I've heard they might be worth something to collectors - told my kids to check it out before throwing them out when I leave them to them.

:D

Yes.

Would you like a couple?

I've heard they might be worth something to collectors - told my kids to check it out before throwing them out when I leave them to them.

They were fun. On our very first cruise they had a party with the Captain for all the non US passengers. The cruise director who must have had an amazing memory, was introducing all the passengers to not only the Captain but each other. There were around 30 people at the party. Our group was around 16 and there was a Canadian in every cabin. My mother finally took pity on her and told her that she hadn't wanted to butt in but she was actually introducing her to all her children. We all laughed and told her who was related to who.

Someone said just call them on your cabin phones. Did we have phones in the cabins back then? Seriously, did we? I remember 4 bunks and a small shower with a long hallway to get to the window (tiny porthole). I can't even remember where we kept our clothes. Back then, if you had visitors you all sat on the bed.

Watching Love Boat is hysterical. The crew members did not have those huge cabins, especially by themselves. The area where Julie's bed is bigger then my cabin. The MD's cabin was even smaller but he didn't have to share it. This was the original Pacific and Island Princess from Sitmar.

I have never once noticed the color of one's name tag at their door. I never even knew that Captain's Circle did it and I've been cruising with Princess for quite a while. I don't even think I have ever even noticed that others had names on their mail slots at their door. I am aware we have one because I do stop at my door and to take any ads or mail out of it but that's about it. Then again I don't notice the color of the card when people wear them on a lanyard. I don't pay any attention to what anyone is wearing in the dining room on formal night. Making a fuss about what others wear is what I call creepy. :rolleyes:

And yes, if I were traveling single, I would consider removing my name at the door.

• 4 weeks later...
I always thought that no name tag meant the room was empty. Well that theory is now blown away.:p

The number of empty cabins on a ship can typically be counted with the fingers on one hand. So odds are, if you see no name tag, it is because the occupant of the room removed it.