Name tags

Putterdude

Actually, according to their website, there are approximately 1.7 Million passengers on Princess annually. This means that the 20 or so opinions on this thread represent 0.001 percent of Princess' annual passengers.

Paul

Now that's what I call a reality check. Thanks for the heads up :)

We have not noticed most removed. I see empty cabins and some that may or may not have removed them but for the most part the majority of cabins on our cruises have a name tag.

Are you saying that people get their info hacked because they have their name on a Princess cabin door? :eek:

The removal of all, some, or none is probably dependent on the make up of the passengers and since I don't ride around on every ship at sea I can't say how many this has or has not happened on. All I can say is that I have been on cruises where by the third day most of the name tags have been removed or replaced with something less personal.

As far as info getting hacked? Yeah, happened to a friend of mine on a Caribbean cruise though not on Princess. It was eventually traced back to someone that was also a passenger on the ship with them and that person had taken information from several other passengers on that same voyage.

It is actually quite easy to hack your identity with very little information to start with. We own our own business and one of my jobs is to clear people's applications. If you have someone's name and general location of current residence and do a simple civil/criminal review of public documents easily obtainable online gives you quite a bit of information with which to start the process. And it is all free ... local clerk of the court records, property tax records, etc. are all available online. I've actually had to inform people that I suspected they had had their identity hacked. It happens a lot more than people suspect.

All I can say is that I have been on cruises where by the third day most of the name tags have been removed or replaced with something less personal.

On a Princess ship? I'm getting close to number 40 on Princess and haven't seen that. What kind of less personal things are you seeing? Want to know what to look for next time.

On a Princess ship? I'm getting close to number 40 on Princess and haven't seen that. What kind of less personal things are you seeing? Want to know what to look for next time.

You know, those door decorations and such ... they just don't have their names on them. I was on one cruise ... LOLOLOLOL ... there must have been some kind of group/company/family cruise or something going on and they were having what appeared to be a door decorating contest. Some of them were really clever. Not obnoxious or covering the whole door but really, really clever. I was amazed at what people could do with an 8" x 14" piece of paper, some basic art supplies, and their imagination. Really cool.

You know, those door decorations and such ... they just don't have their names on them. I was on one cruise ... LOLOLOLOL ... there must have been some kind of group/company/family cruise or something going on and they were having what appeared to be a door decorating contest. Some of them were really clever. Not obnoxious or covering the whole door but really, really clever. I was amazed at what people could do with an 8" x 14" piece of paper, some basic art supplies, and their imagination. Really cool.

Got it. I've seen lots of door decorations but I thought you meant they took out their name tag and put something else in that slot. Couldn't figure out what that might have been!

It makes sense that they took their names off in that situation for a door decorating contest.

Edited by idahospud

No. The cruises I've been on most people remove theirs within the first day or two of being on board. As for the other differences, some of us just prefer our privacy and have experienced aspects of life that make us leery of real possibilities of how our information can be misused. Others don't feel the need and that's their right as well.

I find this very interesting, just from casual observation I would estimate more than 99% of the name tags remain in the mail slots. However, I do agree that if removing them makes a person more secure then by all means do so.

No. The cruises I've been on most people remove theirs within the first day or two of being on board. As for the other differences, some of us just prefer our privacy and have experienced aspects of life that make us leery of real possibilities of how our information can be misused. Others don't feel the need and that's their right as well.

More people than most realize have had (or currently have) issues where identities and/or private information have been stolen or hacked. In this day and age of electronic crime it just makes sense to be cautious. It is a nightmare mess to untangle when it happens to you.

This sounds a bit (OK, a lot) paranoid. People have their name everywhere. They put them on forms, they speak them aloud. Simply knowing my name isn't going to get me "hacked". I just retired from an IT position. Do you really think we would hand out business cards with our names on them if we felt it was a threat?

The names on the doors don't bother me. As others have said, they are easy to remove.

For my part, I leave it in place and I am also guilty of having had my key "fail to work" and then looked up and saw I was at the wrong cabin. (Right spot but wrong deck. D'Oh!)

This sounds a bit (OK, a lot) paranoid. People have their name everywhere. They put them on forms, they speak them aloud. Simply knowing my name isn't going to get me "hacked". I just retired from an IT position. Do you really think we would hand out business cards with our names on them if we felt it was a threat?

The names on the doors don't bother me. As others have said, they are easy to remove.

For my part, I leave it in place and I am also guilty of having had my key "fail to work" and then looked up and saw I was at the wrong cabin. (Right spot but wrong deck. D'Oh!)

Well, considering a good part of my contribution to our business is to review applications people make for services which means I review their civil/criminal reports, I can tell you it isn't paranoid but absolute fact. I gave an example above how easy it was to start hacking someone's identity just by knowing their name and location. It is a lot easier and happens much more frequently than most people realize ... or maybe care to realize. I also have a friend who had their identity hacked while on a cruise, though not on Princess, so I do know that it is both possible and does happen though I don't know the frequency. I'm simply not into pretending the world somehow is different simply because I'm on a cruise ship in a beautiful location. However, it isn't my job to protect other people, only mine to protect my own. Other people can do as they please. No biggie. Each to their own and all that. :D

As for business cards, I've seen it happen. We have business cards but they only have the name of the business on them with contact for the business as opposed to our personal info and contact. Given our exposure, our family uses various means to protect our identity should anyone try and use our personal or business information for their own personal gain. This is the day and age in which we live. But until it happens to them, most people don't realize just how common an issue it is.

Edited by mamkmm2

More people than most realize have had (or currently have) issues where identities and/or private information have been stolen or hacked. In this day and age of electronic crime it just makes sense to be cautious. It is a nightmare mess to untangle when it happens to you.

My daughter had her identity compromised. For 2 years in a row she got statements from the IRS saying she owed taxes on jobs worked and once one property she sold. She was 11, andf 12 those two years. It wasn't her name that was the problem. The problem was the US government accepting someone's bogus use of her social security number. I don't think it was even the same person each time. The bureaucracy blithely accepts whatever some clown writes down on a form without bothering to check records. No, the 50 year old man with the Hispanic name isn't my young daughter. She has a birth certificate. She has records showing she was assigned that number. By golly the government has records showing she was assigned that number. They said it's not their problem.

I can get names and addresses from the phone book. Sheesh...

This sounds a bit (OK, a lot) paranoid. People have their name everywhere. They put them on forms, they speak them aloud.

I feel comfortable sharing my name on forums because the name I go by in my daily life happens to be different from my legal name. I don't necessarily think that I would like my full legal name on my cabin door - but I wouldn't mind my "day to day" name being there. I don't care whether other people have their names on their doors or not - and I certainly don't walk around the ship reading them all :eek:!

People don't need very much info to find out everything about you... and nothing is full proof, but the only time I hear my full legal name is when I'm getting in trouble from my mum! I don't want to hear that when I'm on a cruise :D.

My daughter had her identity compromised. For 2 years in a row she got statements from the IRS saying she owed taxes on jobs worked and once one property she sold. She was 11, andf 12 those two years. It wasn't her name that was the problem. The problem was the US government accepting someone's bogus use of her social security number. I don't think it was even the same person each time. The bureaucracy blithely accepts whatever some clown writes down on a form without bothering to check records. No, the 50 year old man with the Hispanic name isn't my young daughter. She has a birth certificate. She has records showing she was assigned that number. By golly the government has records showing she was assigned that number. They said it's not their problem.

I can get names and addresses from the phone book. Sheesh...

The mess your poor daughter has been subject to is the exact reason why we include our kids in our identity protection efforts, both the adults ones and the minors. I don't want them to find out when they go to apply for a job or even retirement so many years down the road that someone hacked their identity. It is also why we have very strict rules on social media in our home ... and those rules are enforced. And yes, I've deleted a kid's social media account and taken their phone and internet access for a period of time.

The son of one of our tenants got busted for identity theft and some of his victims started out merely as names on a particular social media program. People get nailed every year for identity theft ... and then thousands more do not.

No, you can't be safe every minute of every day. And yes, at some point you have to allow yourself to enjoy life by not stressing over every little thing. However, I believe in the concept of using an abundance of caution and the personal policy of better safe than sorry. It is what works for us and we know it works because the system in place has revealed where someone(s) has tried to use our personal info for their financial benefit and it was prevented from happening. However, this is America (at least that is where I am) and I still believe and respect people enough that they have the right to choose your own path. I just have seen the seamier side of society - both in this country and abroad - and no longer have the capacity to say "it can't happen" because all too often it already does.

I love seeing our names outside our cabin. It confirms that I am indeed home and that we are not in just another anonymous hotel.

I can understand you may prefer to remove it if you are traveling as a single or a mega famous super star but otherwise why does it matter if someone knows your name?

I'm with you.

Let me see if I can frame this another way ...

I am traveling to Europe this summer. I am not letting terrorism, striking unions, civil unrest, or pick pockets stop me. On the other hand, I am keeping up to date on what is going on in the countries that we are traveling to, planning to dress and behave appropriately, and won't be carrying valuables. Rather than keeping my money and credit cards in my pocket like I normally would, my husband will be wearing a money belt - the kind recommended by Rick Steves and several other travel gurus - and my purse is a brand called safepac that is very resistant to pick pockets and other types of thievery if used appropriately.

To some that sounds "paranoid" ... money belt, special purse, yada, yada. To others I sound the exact opposite because I'm traveling in areas that are experiencing civil and economic upheaval as we speak. I look at removing my name from my cabin door in the same light. I won't pitch a fit if it is there but I will remove it out of an abundance of caution. It's a reasonable precaution against something unsavory happening.

Edited by mamkmm2

Someone asked if it made me feel safer removing the tag; I've never felt unsafe on a cruise ship. I just value my privacy and prefer not to have a name tag on my door. As for the loyalty level - never noticed it.

Us too. I usually sail with my mom and/sis. Don't want to advertise that only women are in the cabin. We remove as soon as we get to our cabin & keep it as a souvenir.

We think of the ships as a small town. Even in a small town, not everyone knows everyone's name.

The cruises I've been on most people remove theirs within the first day or two of being on board.

By the middle of the cruise, we also see many name tags removed.

But, on the other hand, I do read the names on the tags to see if I recognize any names.

You can take them out. I have seen this done on most of our cruises. No rule that you can't.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska, Caribbean Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

I don't know that I have ever seen so much made of so little on a thread on this forum.

Really? You sure you've really been around on CC for 16 years and you can say that? ROFL!!! You've obviously not read the salt and butter threads.

Edited by mamkmm2

I don't know that I have ever seen so much made of so little on a thread on this forum.

You must have missed the threads about how much butter they put on a table in the MDR or the possibility of them eliminating chocolates on the pillows.. Good times around here.. lol

I get irritated (not so much with this problem) but with a small minority of the public making everyone else conform to their demands when the solution is so simple.

I am confused -- what are the demands and who is trying to get anyone to conform to them? The OP noted that Princess recently decided to reinstate name tags after an experimental absence. (No reason for the that absence specified, and no suggestion that they were removed due to complaints. On the contrary, complaints resulted in the return of the name tags.) A subsequent poster commented that they liked the tags. A third poster commented that they didn't like the tags. Someone then asked people to explain their reasoning. Personal opinions and preferences were expressed: some people like them, some don't and remove them, some are indifferent. I see no one having identified the practice as problem or demanding a "solution," just merely exchanging ideas and expressing personal views.

Edited by limoncello07

But it is now up to 33 opinions out of 1.7 million making it a much more statistically significant 0.0019 % of annual Princess passengers. However, no where near the much more relevant Butter thread.

Better destroy the phone book just in case.

For what it is worth, we will still keep ours in the slot, so that we know that we are in the right place.

Paul