Name tags

Putterdude

But it is now up to 33 opinions out of 1.7 million making it a much more statistically significant 0.0019 % of annual Princess passengers. However, no where near the much more relevant Butter thread.

Better destroy the phone book just in case.

Paul

I'll see your point and up you another...

Nobody has asked what side of the door the nametag is on. Isn't this just as vital as all of those other threads I see about what side of the cabin the bed is on?

I haven't taken the name tags out of their holders, but I do use a generic company business card on my luggage tag in case they get lost. I don't want to advertise to everyone in the airport that handles my bags that I am not at home. If there ends up being a problem in transit at least they will get sent to where I work and they won't be lost forever. Some people might call that paranoid, but I don't care. It makes me feel more secure. I also don't post on social media about my trip until it is over. I honestly get shocked by the tons of people "checking in" on Facebook and they are half way around the world from where they live.

The same thing crossed my mind. :p

You're behind the times. Here in Tampa if you can find a phone book you are lucky. LOL. Too many online sources for that type of information.

Oh ... and since we're being paranoid ... did you know you can have your name and other info removed from most online databases? Except from the government sponsored ones of course. ;)

Identity theft is a crime of opportunity. Lower the number of opportunities someone has to exploit you and you lower the likelihood of it happening to you. They'll go after the next person who isn't as paranoid or diligent, depending on how you want to look at it. :D

What surprised me was that some of the passengers actually read name tags (to see if they know someone or for any other reason). Surely there are better things to do while on a cruise.

I so agree, that statement surprised me.

But I am also continuously amazed by people who talk about liking a particular spot on a ship to "people watch".

What????

Your life is so empty that you have to look at other people for your amusement?

Sad, and something that I truly cannot understand.

I guess I can't relate to those problems, especially on a cruise ship but if no door tag makes people feel better then like most everyone says- take it out.

I get irritated (not so much with this problem) but with a small minority of the public making everyone else conform to their demands when the solution is so simple.

What I don't understand...

If the tag bothers someone, it should take about 1 nano-second

for them to easily fix on their own.

How much time do they then spend spelling out hyperbole about what

someone could do with the name outside my cabin?

What I don't understand...

If the tag bothers someone, it should take about 1 nano-second

for them to easily fix on their own.

How much time do they then spend spelling out hyperbole about what

someone could do with the name outside my cabin?

Probably as much time as you spend snarking ... evidence your recent posts on the princess@sea app and free gratuities.

Probably as much time as you spend snarking ... evidence your recent posts on the princess@sea app and free gratuities.

I like walking down the hall and looking at the status labels. I don't care what anyone particular is I just like to see how many are newbies and how many are long time cruisers. I have to admit I've looked at the name - but that is when I am trying to locate someone. We often travel with family and friends and finding their cabins can sometimes be a challenge. Heck, sometimes finding my cabin can be a challenge.

Since my user name is not associated to my real name in any way, good luck on finding out where I live from it. My house has an alarm system and I live in a nice neighborhood with neighbors that watch out for each other. We always notify them when we are leaving. I don't really go on Facebook that much and never rarely go on the internet while on a cruise.

For those that have been cruising a really long time on Princess - well when it was Sitmar - do you remember when they used to give you a book with everyone's name, cabin number and home town.

I like walking down the hall and looking at the status labels. I don't care what anyone particular is I just like to see how many are newbies and how many are long time cruisers. I have to admit I've looked at the name - but that is when I am trying to locate someone. We often travel with family and friends and finding their cabins can sometimes be a challenge. Heck, sometimes finding my cabin can be a challenge.

Since my user name is not associated to my real name in any way, good luck on finding out where I live from it. My house has an alarm system and I live in a nice neighborhood with neighbors that watch out for each other. We always notify them when we are leaving. I don't really go on Facebook that much and never rarely go on the internet while on a cruise.

For those that have been cruising a really long time on Princess - well when it was Sitmar - do you remember when they used to give you a book with everyone's name, cabin number and home town.

Our 2nd cruise was in 1988 on Sitmar's Fairwind & that list is somewhere with our cruise souvenirs. ;)

We discovered several couples from our hometown but didn't they give them at the end of the cruise? It was a much different time before technology made our privacy so difficult to maintain.

I never sailed on Sitmar but back in 1963 when I crewed and even before then these passenger lists were very common. People kept them as souvenirs of their cruises and today you can often find offered on eBay.

Yes, Sitmar did that and still have a few of ours. Fond Memories! :)

The mess your poor daughter has been subject to is the exact reason why we include our kids in our identity protection efforts, both the adults ones and the minors. I don't want them to find out when they go to apply for a job or even retirement so many years down the road that someone hacked their identity. It is also why we have very strict rules on social media in our home ... and those rules are enforced. And yes, I've deleted a kid's social media account and taken their phone and internet access for a period of time.

The son of one of our tenants got busted for identity theft and some of his victims started out merely as names on a particular social media program. People get nailed every year for identity theft ... and then thousands more do not.

No, you can't be safe every minute of every day. And yes, at some point you have to allow yourself to enjoy life by not stressing over every little thing. However, I believe in the concept of using an abundance of caution and the personal policy of better safe than sorry. It is what works for us and we know it works because the system in place has revealed where someone(s) has tried to use our personal info for their financial benefit and it was prevented from happening. However, this is America (at least that is where I am) and I still believe and respect people enough that they have the right to choose your own path. I just have seen the seamier side of society - both in this country and abroad - and no longer have the capacity to say "it can't happen" because all too often it already does.

At the time my daughter's SSN was stolen there was no social media. It was quite some time ago. OK, maybe there was fledgling My Space but she wasn't on it and had no computer access. A person's name is available in a myriad of ways. My daughter was the victim of random SSN use. Hey! Here! Use my SSN: 459-78-6247

No, that isn't my SSN but it is probably somebody's SSN. Illegal aliens just buy numbers or make them up and they work for employment. It isn't your name that gets you into trouble.

EDIT: I asked my wife when the first time my daughter had this issue was. Boy was I off. I was thinking she was 11 or 12 or so. Nope. My daughter was 7 the first time this happened. That means it was 1992. There was no My Space. There was no anything. I think I was still accessing the Internet solely via UNIX. (We did have local BBS systems but that wasn't really the Internet.) No graphical Internet. I'm pretty sure Mosaic (browser) was first introduced in 1993. (I told you I'm a geek...). Social Media was not the problem. Simple SSN guessing was the problem.

I won't take this any further. I don't debate with flat earth people nor should I have ever gotten into this foolish exchange. Believe what you will. I can't change your mind and won't even try. I hope I haven't been offensive as I truly haven't meant to be. If I have offended you in any way I sincerely apologize. I don't normally respond to issues of this sort and don't know why I did so this time.

Hope all of your cruises are wonderful and I (really) congratulate you on taking the initiative in helping your children to recognize the dangers of modern Internet and Social Media use. You are totally correct in believing there are many dangers these days and many people just waiting to take advantage of those opportunities.

I will still allow my name to be displayed outside my cabin as I believe I am endangered in many (many!) other ways via the Internet than I will ever be endangered by having my name displayed outside my cabin door. I fully endorse the practice of removing the name tags for any and all who feel it is an invasion of their privacy or a danger to their identity security. It's easy to remove the name tag. Please do so if you like.

(I'm still glad there was a name tag by the door when I was trying my key on the wrong room. I scurried away hoping nobody had noticed the old guy at the wrong door. :o)

Edited by Thrak

I did HR. I get a call one day from the unemployment office verifying that employee Jane was laid off and she made $5 an hour. I said, no, Jane did not get laid off. She still works for us and I can see her from my desk. NO unemployment insisted. She filed a claim and I was wrong. Umm, no. My Jane has worked for the company 10 years and is a legal resident. I think Maria might be the one lying. NO. You are wrong. Maria would never lie about such a thing. We went back and forth for 30 minutes and I could no convince the stupid person on the other end of the phone that the person lying would be the one trying to collect benefits and not the person sitting at her desk working. This was before social media.

I did HR. I get a call one day from the unemployment office verifying that employee Jane was laid off and she made $5 an hour. I said, no, Jane did not get laid off. She still works for us and I can see her from my desk. NO unemployment insisted. She filed a claim and I was wrong. Umm, no. My Jane has worked for the company 10 years and is a legal resident. I think Maria might be the one lying. NO. You are wrong. Maria would never lie about such a thing. We went back and forth for 30 minutes and I could no convince the stupid person on the other end of the phone that the person lying would be the one trying to collect benefits and not the person sitting at her desk working. This was before social media.

You went on 29 minutes and 30 seconds longer then I would have.

From my reading of this thread no one is saying Princess should not have name tags and insisting on this. People like me who often remove them couldn't care less if you leave yours in or like to take them home as a souvenir. Sorry, but I do find it a bit creepy that people walk along corridors looking at people's loyalty level.

I (and I am sure others) have made no complaints to Princess about having tags so those who keep posting that it is a vocal minority trying to make changes and take away your name tag are IMO talking through their collective hats.

I think this thread has gone well past its use by date.

Rant over.

I don't think they had a cabin number in them, did they?

As Aussieflyer pointed out, none of us who find the names on cabins problematic are telling Princess, any other cruise line, or anyone here to change their policy. People want to leave them up then that's for them to decide. However, there are other just as valid opinions and they were given.

Sorry, but I do find it a bit creepy that people walk along corridors looking at people's loyalty level.

Why is it creepy? They aren't stalking the person. They are merely walking down the hall and glancing at the color of the name tags as they walk by. it is no more curious then watching the dock workers or sitting outside a cafe and watching people walk by. I can give you a thousand examples of people glancing at something for a nano second and then forgetting it. I just don't see how you think it is creepy. Unless creepy has another meaning in Australia.

I'm another person who finds the mix of old and new passengers fascinating. I felt like we were targeted on one cruise. (Someone left a Chick tract in our mailbox.) But I don't know whether it was because the person saw us coming and going from our cabin or if they just decided to place the tract in our mailbox because they saw two guys sharing a cabin on the nameplate. We've never bothered to remove the nameplate since then.

I like the name tags. I also look at the color of them when I walk down the corridor to see the mix captain club tiers of the passengers.

Me, too [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk