Did it bother past travelers not having access to the queens rooms

kllychpmn

It may be factuly correct but the question was has anybody with experience on the line felt slighted in the past . So the baseball answer wasn't helpful and kinda dry . I do see you have been on the line so do you have an opinion ? Or perhaps you have had a grill suite in the past and would like to give give an opinion from the other side

Edited by kllychpmn

As others have helpfully observed, the amount of space restricted to Grills passengers is negligible. I've felt a little envious of the size of a Queens Grill stateroom from time to time but never about any "restricted" zones.

Since you haven't cruised on Cunard I'll assume you haven't spent much time in the Cunard forum on CC. Some folks here have limited patience with those who they see as posting for a "windup." You seem to be looking for someone to support your premise but I don't think you'll find it among Cunard past passengers.

No not at all in fact if I knew how to end the thread I would have done so a day or two ago I'm happy with the answers I got earlier this week and am much more interested in the weather .I would have un subcribed to the thread but felt it might be rude to not thank people for helpful replies. The overwhelming opinion was you won't be feel like your missing out on anything because you won't ever notice it to begin with . I only brought it up because I saw one review from one person who did feel some what second class but they may have a chip on there shoulder about most things . I'm a strong believer in cruise critic and find these boards very helpful and wouldn't waste my time trolling for a fight . I just thought the one answer was very dry and unhelpful and I have limited patience for that !

Edited by kllychpmn

It may be factuly correct but the question was has anybody with experience on the line felt slighted in the past . So the baseball answer wasn't helpful and kinda dry . I do see you have been on the line so do you have an opinion ? Or perhaps you have had a grill suite in the past and would like to give give an opinion from the other side

I replied earlier. And said it was fine. And compared it with not being able to enter the spa if I dont purchase the spa pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yea I'm not worried about getting something for free . I did however read a review where a couple felt slighted . I doubt I will have an issue but it's always better to ask . I can imagine walking by a place everyday for three and four weeks thinking well that would be nice . I just read the review where Mr knight mention how rough the Pacific gets , I have heard cruisers can expect a rough day or two between calfornia and hawaii but I can't say I would look forward to much more . am I worrying to much

I have done a couple of full world cruises on QE and QM2 and some shorter segments and I have never felt slighted in any way. In fact I really do not ever take any notice of anything that may be to do with "the Grills." Some times I sit on deck ten looking across the pool area and see the chairs on out the Grill deck. I never have any desire to go look closer and I never felt slighted by any passenger whom I have met in the bars or shops even who may be travelling in the Grills. We are all the same at the end of the day. Some just pay more for a different cruise experience. Each to their own.

Cunard and its guests are the least class fixated of the cruise lines - with Celebrity being the most "in your face" space and service segregation fixated of the lines I have patronized. Celebrity has lost our family's business because of it.

Cunard's Grill space allocation and location is very discrete and not in your face - compliments to Cunard. The Grill guests are the most gracious and do not drone on and on on these boards or on the ship about their choice.

It is a very interesting time in cruising given the tremendous hypocrisy demonstrated by the cruise lines in the last couple of years. The cruise lines in 1974 whined, shrilled, stomped their feet over Cunard and the French line for their physical class segmentation. Well, look now. Modern cruise lines have evolved their class structure well beyond Cunard today and Cunard and the French line of the past.

The original "democratic" cruise model is dead and replaced with ever growing class segmentation.

While I do not care what people choose to spend on their cruise vacation - cruise lines will NOT be taking away space on the ship that used to be provided for everyone - message Celebrity. Those that do lose my business.

Have a great time on Cunard.

ABoatNerd

Cunard and its guests are the least class fixated of the cruise lines - with Celebrity being the most "in your face" space and service segregation fixated of the lines I have patronized. Celebrity has lost our family's business because of it.

Cunard's Grill space allocation and location is very discrete and not in your face - compliments to Cunard. The Grill guests are the most gracious and do not drone on and on on these boards or on the ship about their choice.

It is a very interesting time in cruising given the tremendous hypocrisy demonstrated by the cruise lines in the last couple of years. The cruise lines in 1974 whined, shrilled, stomped their feet over Cunard and the French line for their physical class segmentation. Well, look now. Modern cruise lines have evolved their class structure well beyond Cunard today and Cunard and the French line of the past.

The original "democratic" cruise model is dead and replaced with ever growing class segmentation.

While I do not care what people choose to spend on their cruise vacation - cruise lines will NOT be taking away space on the ship that used to be provided for everyone - message Celebrity. Those that do lose my business.

Have a great time on Cunard.

ABoatNerd

I agree! Many's the time I've spoken with someone who has NEVER cruise Cunard but says they never would because of the 'class system.' I'm sick of this line being criticized for something that is more extreme on other lines.

Actually, Holland America has taken away some public space. Not a lot, but it raised a lot of comments at first. They put in glass sliding doors in some promenade deck cabins (on a few ships, not all) to convert ocean view to "lanai" cabins. Instead of a balcony, these passengers have two reserved deck chairs outside their door, but not a roped-off area. Quite a few people were irate at the loss of "public" deck chairs. Less upsetting was the installation of cabanas on some HAL ships. Why anyone would want to sit in a tent is a mystery to me, but people like them.

The only Grills space I covet on QM2 is that aft-facing deck with the nice loungers. That looks like a lovely quiet place to sit. Of course, the grills suites already have nice balconies, so I'm not sure how many people use that deck space. I hate to give Cunard ideas, but I would pay more for an upscale deck space like the old Sundeck on QE2. Not for any sort of exclusivity, but for the service and pleasant atmosphere.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I have experience with both. I sailed 6 Britannia then 7 Grills trips...after which I got used to the closet space and bathtub. But, we spend our time in the public rooms - Commodore, VC champagne bar, Chart Room because they have the good music like strings, jazz. We eat lunch in the Golden Lion because it's fun.

If this description makes sense - I didn't notice a difference in service until after I sailed grills. In other words, when I began cruising it was 2004, (and before that I didn't know anything about Cunard history and the class system but now I have read about 20 books on Cunard & other liners) and for the 1st 6 voyages, I really didn't even know "grills class" existed - Cunard staff made everyone feel special. Then we got upgraded to PG on the 7th trip. After that walk in closet, that was that, and I have booked PG/QG ever since. The other thing I like about the grills is having my dessert lit on fire tableside every night because at home I live in a high rise and would undoubtedly set the building on fire if I did it there.

The Grills catalog which Cunard sends out makes it look ultra-exclusive and maybe the larger categories are - but I think the whole QM2 experience is ultra-exclusive and special, no matter what stateroom you choose! The public areas everyone enjoys the same.

Honestly, I think Cunard is now the least of the cruise lines to separate by class. Have you sailed Celebrity, NCL or MSC lately? far more areas off limits to those not in suites and more in your face than on Cunard. I hear Princess is now gong the same route with their club mini suites

Edited by avalon1025

I have sailed celebrity and didn't find it as nice as Holland America . I do prefer Holland to most every other of the standard lines unfortunately the don't offer a itinerary that meets our needs .I'm sure I will enjoy cunard but as we will be spending 47 days aboard I wanted to be sure thanks again all of you that answered me