First time cruising with Family (kids 13 and 10) please help me choose a cruise ship

nluv

Hi fellow cruisers. First time cruiser here and I need the family to have a great time so we can book a better/longer one next time. Hubby is scared of boats...

The only cruises that work in our schedules are

Carnival Victory and Fantasy

RC Enchantment of the Seas

and Norwegian Sky

All are 3-4 nights.

I have a girl age 10 loves arts crafts cooking dance

Boy age 13 loves video gaming movies music

We would like to do together Comedy club, karaoke, dancing

Looking at ocean view room

Your thoughts on these? Also would love some advice on rooms and how to book them with older kids. Son is 5"10" and 190lbs so adult sized :)

Thanks in advance for your time.

Nichole

If I can put in my two cents worth, feel free to toss out my opinion, all the ships you have listed are very small and older, any cruise of 3-4 days is considered a booze cruise. Try a longer cruise of 7 days. A Oasis class ship with all the bells and whistles would be a trip to remember for the kids.. As for cabin arrangements, try to get a pull out sofa for your son as well as a Pullman for your daughter.. Go to youtube and checkout ship tours for any ship you are thinking about..happy cruising

Sorry but these are all we have time to do with the flights we have booked. I understand that the longer ones would be better. Just need to know of these which one might be best if anyone has any information on them.

Thanks,

Nichole

Sorry but these are all we have time to do with the flights we have booked. I understand that the longer ones would be better. Just need to know of these which one might be best if anyone has any information on them.

Thanks,

Nichole

Realizing your limitations and booked flights, I think other than the booze cruise comments, people are trying to tell you just how short of a cruise you are looking at, given how far you are traveling. Personally, don't think it's worth the expense. Assuming you board around noon, that's your first day; you have to disembark around 8:00 a.m. on your final day. It's not like a hotel - you can't lounge by the pool and get off when you want so you are looking at a very short cruise.

As far as cabins, are you considering 4 people in one cabin, or two cabins? If you are looking at 4 in one cabin, look for Pullman berths; otherwise your kids will have to sleep together on a pull out sofa - not ideal. The Pullman bunks come down from the wall/ceiling and are a twin size bunk. My son slept in one when in college - 6' 2" and 230 lb football player - no problems. Four in one cabin is very tight, but doable. Study pictures of the cabins and look at square footage.

Enchantment has no designated comedy club, but may have a comedian in main theater. Also be aware comedy clubs may not be suitable for kids. Again, check out. You might get more information on the specific cruiseline boards.

I agree, all of these ships you mention are old and a 3-4 day cruise on them would be a lousy experience - really more of a waste of time than anything else for your kids and you. These are the ships that are best for kids and meet your requirements:

RCCL

Oasis class

Freedom class

Carnival

Breeze

Magic

Vista

NCL

Epic

Getaway

Breakaway

Escape

IMO, don't waste your money on a 3-4 day cruise. Do something else instead if the ships you have listed are your only choices.

While the 3-4 cruises are short, you should decide for yourself. It is a new experience and short at that, so a less stellar experience is short lived. Also, If you get on a boat with more bells and whistles later, you'll have a comparison. For the record, there is a definite group of cruisers (even with kids) that enjoy a smaller ship and the sights and experiences of being on the water rather than having a "mall" to shop in, etc. I've not been on an Oasis class or similar ship, but in reading these boards, there are some that do not prefer the "larger than life" / constant activity experience, FWIW.

If these ships have different itineraries, and you think you'll go ashore, then pick from the itineraries you like. If not, then go to the different cruise sections on here (CC) to ask your question per cruise line.

FWIW, my oldest was 13 when we cruised first time. As an introvert and a young teen, she didn't care much about the activities, it was all about the freedom we gave her while on the ship - she was allowed to be without us (rules, timeframes given, of course) and that remains one of the highlights and good memories for her.

Good Luck, and enjoy your experience.

Fantasy is Carnivals' oldest ship and it tends to show its age. So for Carnival I'd say the Victory. Carnival has a GREAT kids program! And most cabins are 186 sq. Ft., bigger than a lot of other ships cabins. Some cabins for 4 have a sofa bed and a pull down, some 2 pull downs.

RC is also good and we don't like NCL at all.

The 1st comedy is usually at 7 or 7:30. This is a G rated one. After that one the others are R rated, lots of expletives used, no kids allowed.

Shorter cruises have more young people who want to party- they can't afford a longer cruise. So there is more drinking/partying on shorter cruises. No is driving home so there is more drinking!

Edited by Bonnie J.

I vote for Enchantment of the Seas. It has a great cruise ship feel, great connection with ocean that the mega ships lack. It has been through a recent upgrade, and they added some kid friendly activities. As far as the booze cruise aspect, there will be that, but since you probably won't be at the late night clubs and parties, your kids will really only see it on the pool deck.

Kids are welcome in most dance venues, so you will have several different types of music to dance to. The over 21 areas are clearly marketed. There is usually family karaoke. There may not be scrapbooking or jewelry making classes on the shorter cruises, but there will still be tons to do.

And if you hate cruising (hard for any of us on CC to imagine!) It is only a short trip!