Courtyard shuttle

spearmint

I am going to put this on both the Princess and Celebrity boards...

We read on Expedia reviews that the Courtyard by Marriott in Plantation not only has a shuttle to and from the airport/cruiseport, but that one can call a couple of days in advance and the shuttle will be at the airport for pick up. This is great, as we do not have a cell phone and the airport does not have pay phones. (I do not know if the hotel has a direct line in the bank of ads near the luggage carousels.) Can anyone tell me if I have this information correct?

Bill

We read on Expedia reviews that the Courtyard by Marriott in Plantation not only has a shuttle to and from the airport/cruiseport, but that one can call a couple of days in advance and the shuttle will be at the airport for pick up. This is great, as we do not have a cell phone and the airport does not have pay phones. (I do not know if the hotel has a direct line in the bank of ads near the luggage carousels.) Can anyone tell me if I have this information correct?

Bill

Maybe you could find a friendly looking person and ask to use their cell phone. Explain that you aren't from the U.S. and don't have a phone that works while you are in the US

You do need to call that hotel to tell them that you have your luggage and they will tell you where to wait

Bill

Why not call them and ask?

+1-954-475-1100

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fllpl-courtyard-fort-lauderdale-plantation/

Edited by ar1950

I think you will find that major hotels like Courtyard will have a phone in the luggage pickup area of most major airports in the USA, so there should be no problem at all. You only need to call them after you collect your luggage and you will be notified as to the approximate time of pickup and where to be.

bon voyage

Also, most US airports have some type of hospitality or information booth or desk manned by friendly local volunteers who love helping people and are willing to make such calls for you (especially if you appear to be helpless, lost and bewildered). :)

I have stayed at that hotel many times. One thing to be aware of is that their shuttle has somewhat limited hours. What time do you arrive?

I have never seen a direct phone system (such as BO1953 describes) for this particular property at the FLL airport. I agree with the advice to find a local person to make the call for you.

It doesn't belong on either the Celebrity or Princess boards. It belongs in the correct sub-area of the North American Homeports boards.

Yep. Never thought of that. We are long time Celebrity cruisers (from whom I have received great advice in the past) who have switched to Princess for this and our last cruises, so naturally...;)

bill

Especially while traveling, you really should have a cell phone..

you never know what can and does happen. Some are pretty cheap and you could just use them while traveling.

From experience, I will never travel without one again!

It might be worth checking out. We have no need of one on a daily basis. I will need to see how one bought in Canada would work in the U.S. I have the impression that they are expensive. Most of our travel has been cruising and except for calling for a shuttle from the airport, we never need one. Perhaps it would be cheaper to just use cabs...

Bill

Perhaps you could post the question on on the Florida departure board and or call the hotel and ask them directly.

Thanks. Forgot about the Florida departures board! :eek: Have always gotten great advice from the Celebrity boards. We are long time Celebrity cruisers but have not been thrilled with all the changes over the years and for now have switched to Princess. So....

Will definitely call the hotel, but wanted experience over advertising first...

Bill

Cruisestitch, BO1953, Westlake Girl, varoo

Thanks for your help. I have, last cruise in fact, enlisted aid from salespeople, security people at FLL and they have all been extremely helpful. It is just that being able to call the hotel directly before we even leave, giving our flight times is very attractive and much less stressful... I hate asking for favours... It is time to look into getting a phone for really limited use; we have no need of one on a daily basis, and mostly only travel cruising. Then I need to see about buying on in Canada for use in the U.S. and I believe that can be very expensive....

Bill

I put this on both the Princess and Celebrity boards, and of course, was advised on both to use Florida departures. Forgot all about this one..:eek:

I will be calling the hotel directly, but wanted to know if peoples' experience was as advertised, first. And yes, we should look into cells... we have no use for one, daily, and mainly travel only on cruises, so I need to find one that is for limited use, bought in Canada for use in the U.S. :)

Bill

Cruisestitch, BO1953, Westlake Girl, varoo

Thanks for your help. I have, last cruise in fact, enlisted aid from salespeople, security people at FLL and they have all been extremely helpful. It is just that being able to call the hotel directly before we even leave, giving our flight times is very attractive and much less stressful... I hate asking for favours... It is time to look into getting a phone for really limited use; we have no need of one on a daily basis, and mostly only travel cruising. Then I need to see about buying on in Canada for use in the U.S. and I believe that can be very expensive....

Bill

Here you go, I just called the hotel. It is the Courtyard on 6th Street in Plantation, correct? Hotel staff said you need to make shuttle reservations ahead time, which can be done by email. She said you could email her directly at christine dot burns at marriott dot com. Need names, flight time, flight number and airline. The shuttle runs from 7 am-7 pm.

Happy travels!

Edited by blazeinthesun
clarify

It might be worth checking out. We have no need of one on a daily basis. I will need to see how one bought in Canada would work in the U.S. I have the impression that they are expensive. Most of our travel has been cruising and except for calling for a shuttle from the airport, we never need one. Perhaps it would be cheaper to just use cabs...

Bill

We are also from Canada and use our cellphone without any problems. FWIW, don't get an out of country package from your cellphone provider unless you intend to use your phone quite a bit to justify the cost. We don't use our phone much, one or two calls but we like to have it when driving for that added bit of security. We have yet to use it enough to make a package worthwhile.

Bill

There is a free landline available at the arrivals level that can be used.

We found that one, of the courtyard properties has a very early cut off.

We were, told to take a taxi that they payed for upon arrival.

Did you check their website? This is the "Shuttle Information" found on the Maps and Transportation page: http://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/f/fllpl/FLLPL_PDF/FLLPL_Shuttle_Flyer_Updated_Optimized.pdf.

You will notice it says free shuttle for sites within two miles; both the airport and the port are many more miles away.

T
he Courtyard by Marriott

®

Fort Lauderdale Plantation is proud to offer complimentary shuttle service within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. The shuttle seats 10 people and is available 7 days a week, from 7:00am-7:00pm on the hour, every hour. A reservation is required 24 hours ahead of time. Examples of locations we provide transportation to are:

• Port Everglades Cruise Port*

• Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) (on the Maps and Transportation page it notes:
Airport shuttle service, reservation required, complimentary)

• Nova Southeastern University

To reserve your room, call (954) 475-1100 or visit PlantationCourtyard.com.

* Drop off to cruise port only.

Give them a call and get clarification (in writing if you book) from them.

There is a free landline available at the arrivals level that can be used.

We found that one, of the courtyard properties has a very early cut off.

We were, told to take a taxi that they payed for upon arrival.

If something happens, like you flight is delayed and you miss the shuttle, it will cost you around $60 to get a cab to the Plantation Courtyard. A cab to the port will be around the same.

Never book a hotel for the shuttle. It will almost always come back and bite you.

Try http://www.ValueTrips.com for the Hyatt Place on 17th Street.

Anubi, Blue Herons, cruisestitch, thanks for the information and advice. All is appreciated. We will take a flight which will get us to FLL around noon, so even with a delay, we should be OK with the shuttle times.

Quo Vadis?.. not knowing exactly where Plantation is or the hotel, is the main reason that I am asking for advice here. Had no clue that a cab would be so expensive!

capriccio, I don't know how I missed that info on the website.... thanks.

blazeinthesun... I have received tons of help over the years from everywhere, via these boards. But I have never had someone actually telephone on my behalf in order to provide information to me. Thanks so much. I have noted the lady's address and will be emailing shortly.

As a result of the responses received here, I am much more at ease in taking this hotel. My new TA recommended it as one in which his company, one of the huge online ones, had prices for.

Bill

Edited by spearmint

Anubi, Blue Herons, cruisestitch, thanks for the information and advice. All is appreciated. We will take a flight which will get us to FLL around noon, so even with a delay, we should be OK with the shuttle times.

Quo Vadis?.. not knowing exactly where Plantation is or the hotel, is the main reason that I am asking for advice here. Had no clue that a cab would be so expensive!

capriccio, I don't know how I missed that info on the website.... thanks.

blazeinthesun... I have received tons of help over the years from everywhere, via these boards. But I have never had someone actually telephone on my behalf in order to provide information to me. Thanks so much. I have noted the lady's address and will be emailing shortly.

As a result of the responses received here, I am much more at ease in taking this hotel. My new TA recommended it as one in which his company, one of the huge online ones, had prices for.

Bill

You need to fire your TA. He/She must be getting some kind of kickback.

This hotel, while it looks like it is in the middle of shopping and dining, is a LONG walk from anything especially in the heat.

I was actually showing commercial real estate to a client at The Fountains and it is a cluster.

It is set back way off the road with little signage.

You are stuck in the middle of suburbia/industrial park hell.

You might as well be in a land locked suburb of Dallas or Akron.

I can literally think of 200 hotels that would be a better pick. Even staying in Miami would be better than this.

You are at least 40 minutes from port/airport and even longer during rush hour.

Edited by BlueHerons

You need to fire your TA. He/She must be getting some kind of kickback.

This hotel, while it looks like it is in the middle of shopping and dining, is a LONG walk from anything especially in the heat.

I was actually showing commercial real estate to a client at The Fountains and it is a cluster.

It is set back way off the road with little signage.

You are stuck in the middle of suburbia/industrial park hell.

You might as well be in a land locked suburb of Dallas or Akron.

I can literally think of 200 hotels that would be a better pick. Even staying in Miami would be better than this.

You are at least 40 minutes from port/airport and even longer during rush hour.

I couldn't disagree more. Within about a 5 minute walk are no less than 5-6 restaurants in the Fountains (bbq, Cuban, toojays, Chilis, red lobster, more), a huge liquor store and Kohls among others. In the other direction about 7 minutes walk is a major mall (Broward mall) with all the anchor and small stores.

As for the port or airport, 20 minutes tops outside of rush hour. Add 15 min during rush hour now that they have the express lanes.

And staying in Miami is definitely not a better option.

I live 10 minutes from this area so am very comfortable with my assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk