Needing advice on cancellation information.

tanbum6

We have a cruise at the end of July and just found out today that my husband lost his job.... Luckily he has a fall back plan but the new gig is in the school system and he won't be getting paid until late September. This puts us in a spot where we cannot afford all things that go with cruising. We did not purchase vacation protection because we have cruised many times before and have never needed it. Do any of you know if Carnival will help us out in any way as in getting anything back for cancellation? Will they let us transfer it to another Cruise date? I know this is our fault for not purchasing vacation protection but, we cannot predict the future. Any advice or help is gladly accepted. Any negativity is not appreciated. Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since you are paid in full why not go and just pass on the "extras"? I've gotten off plenty of ships with a 0 balance bill.

$2K is already gone, may as well get the experience out of it.

Otherwise the alternative is $1.7K gone and no experience.

Since you are paid in full why not go and just pass on the "extras"? I've gotten off plenty of ships with a 0 balance bill.

$2K is already gone, may as well get the experience out of it.

Otherwise the alternative is $1.7K gone and no experience.

I agree if there's nothing better than the $300 just go have fun and take advantage of everything that already is included without extra costs. Better than being out of the full $2000. Unfortunate event but be positive, maybe this is all for the best.

Since you're going to lose the vast majority of your money if you cancel, I would just go and bare bones it. I suppose you could ask Carnival if you could get something back in a credit to transfer to another cruise, but I wouldn't hold out hope of that happening. Sorry your husband lost his job, glad he's found something else. I would go and have a good time.

We had to move our cruise after full payment as well. First person I spoke with said it would be full penalty. 2 grand. Second person only ended up charging us 200 penalty! I had to appeal to management but it turned out ok. So it's negotiable.

I agree with those who are saying try to go on the cruise. If it is already paid for all you have to come up with is money for the tips. You do not need to go on excursions and can use public transportation to see some of the local color.

Think outside of the box: have a garage sale, ask for gift cards for any up coming birthdays or anniversaries, see if they will down grade your cabin and give you the difference in OBC, one of you stay home and get a friend or relative to pay the fare for the one staying home.

If you stay home you will still need to eat, drive, use electricity, etc. These costs will be saved by going on the cruise and can be applied toward transportation costs.

Edited by poolreader
was not finished

The reason to buy insurance is because you can not predict the future. You haven't purchased it multiple times, so perhaps consider that "savings" washing out this cruise?

Even though the cruise is paid for- it isn't going to be free, could be there are no funds for the transportation or service charges?

The garage sale- is an excellent idea. I don't know anyone who doesn't have "stuff" not being used and laying around. :) Craig's list is another suggestion, to cash out unused/wanted "stuff".

Everyone, thinks "their" excuses are worthy of exceptions. It doesn't hurt to make a few phone calls and inquire if there are any options? But- it's pretty clear, in black and white what you are entitled to, so be accepting of that fact. Good luck.

Looks like you are in the 75% cancellation penalty period. If they are saying they will give you $300, the actual cruise fare portion of what you paid must have been $1200. Besides the $300, you'll also get back your taxes, fees, and pre-paid gratuities. You would 'only' loose $900 on at $1200 fare. Also, if you bought anything in fun shops to be delivered to your room or if you preordered excursions, you'll get that back too. Hope that helps. So sorry you may have to miss your cruise.

We have a cruise at the end of July and just found out today that my husband lost his job.... Luckily he has a fall back plan but the new gig is in the school system and he won't be getting paid until late September. This puts us in a spot where we cannot afford all things that go with cruising. We did not purchase vacation protection because we have cruised many times before and have never needed it. Do any of you know if Carnival will help us out in any way as in getting anything back for cancellation? Will they let us transfer it to another Cruise date? I know this is our fault for not purchasing vacation protection but, we cannot predict the future. Any advice or help is gladly accepted. Any negativity is not appreciated. Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry your DH lost his job, glad he has another lined up. I also think you should go on the cruise and skip all the extra's.

If not, the only thing you can do is call Carnival and ask. It's on a case by case basis.

One important thing to consider on your future cruises is the insurance covers so much more than just the cost of the cruise. If your luggage is lost, if you get hurt in port and need medical care, or worse, if you need an emergency evacuation from the ship for illness or injury. That cost is in the thousands.

We purchase insurance for every trip, it costs us about $100 bucks for three of us but I have the peace of mind that should anything happen, we are covered.

Good luck and really think about going.

As a previous poster said Always purchase insurance, it does cover many things. I had to cancel 4 cruises for surgery, 2 were full pay and 1 was 75% and the other was 50%. I didn't lose anything because of insurance. I would still go on the cruise. Carnival is one of the least forgiving lines when it comes to cancelling a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk