Eclipsing Northern Europe by cruise : Basic black , and Baltic blues

scubacruiserx2

Enjoying your review very much. We will be on some of the same ports on Princess next year.

But mostly I want to have a hug to your sweet freckled grandson. Grandma and Grandpa are out of bounds wonderful. This is the best

Thank you for your kind words Cheryl , and we hope that you will enjoy your cruise . Tyler's mom is single parent , RN who works a 12 hour shift and so we usually have the boys when she's at work . He is a very responsible and caring kid , but also - the man of the house .

The western wall and towers .

IMG_9975_zpsua204wb5.jpg

The name of this tower is Kiek in de Kok .

Kiek in de Kök (Low German: Peep into the Kitchen) is an artillery tower in Tallinn, Estonia, built in 1475. It gained the name Kiek in de Kök from the ability of tower occupants to see into kitchens of nearby houses. The tower is 38 m high and has walls 4 m thick. Cannon balls dating back to 1577 are still embedded in its outer walls .

Source : Wikipedia

IMG_9985_zpsazen5rjt.jpg

I don't know the name of the statue , but may I suggest - The Honeymooners

3e3903e9-cfaa-49ed-80cb-d917dbd748a4_zpsqs9macmi.jpg

The walk up the hill to Pat and Tyler . It had started to rain .

IMG_9997_zpscobvuu2t.jpg

Pat had bought a couple prints of Tallinn .

88b68288-ad69-4528-b8c6-d1cb14fd8a7c_zpsxv8rn7gb.jpg

b804a37c-94db-4927-b776-0ff9acc26d8b_zpss7o7bbd1.jpg

As I was editing photos I noticed this one . We also saw it at cruise ship and so it could be a possibility also .

IMG_0022_zpsca6xaa1v.jpg

We did this last year from the Cruise Ship as our daughter wanted to go on it. I think it cost us € 6 each and took us right up into the Market square (via the Cathedral and other points of interest). So a mini tour on the way.

We thought it was far better value than the HoHo buses which can't actually go up into most of the old town. Plus we got our bearings on where everything was on the way in.

We did this last year from the Cruise Ship as our daughter wanted to go on it. I think it cost us € 6 each and took us right up into the Market square (via the Cathedral and other points of interest). So a mini tour on the way.

We thought it was far better value than the HoHo buses which can't actually go up into most of the old town. Plus we got our bearings on where everything was on the way in.

Thank you for sharing that . It sounds like a great way of doing it ! Where do you pick up the return train ?

That looks very similar to the 'Road Train' we saw in Warnmunde.

We have also seen them in St. Petersburg and Alesund , Norway . Here's a video clip from Alesund :

Edited by scubacruiserx2

With the rain and some steep terrain I became concerned with Pat slipping and possibly falling .

IMG_9999_zps7p2epdcq.jpg

IMG_0004_zpsox08cdha.jpg

This very thing had happened in Cork requiring an ankle surgery and so we found an easy walk down .

But when we stopped near here for photos , we were surrounded by a group of very pushy tourists and so we moved away .

IMG_0012_zpsmsqk0glj.jpg

Instinctively , we looked for a less crowded way back to the ship . If we had known about the blue train , we would have used it .

IMG_002520Stitch-001_zps3irgfz27.jpg

We did stop to get Tyler's scarf and to take a photo , back at the port . Tallinn looked beautiful in the sunshine of this photo .

IMG_0031_zpszutqnenp.jpg

About this time it began to thunder and we were looking forward to lunch and a nap .

IMG_0083-001_zpsj3p68ja6.jpg

Thank you for sharing that . It sounds like a great way of doing it ! Where do you pick up the return train ?

We have also seen them in St. Petersburg and Alesund , Norway . Here's a video clip from Alesund :

We walked back after looking round the town but they had a stop on the edge of the main market square - where we got off.

"Joe , the balloon is flying !" Was my wake up call and a quick view out of the window confirmed it while I quickly dressed for weather . And we only had about an hour before departure time , we were reminded as we left the ship . We arrived just in time to see a launch . First The World .

IMG_0034_zpsn8314uli.jpg

And then , the balloon .

IMG_0036_zpspfrto1t5.jpg

Pat and Ty went inside while I took a couple of shots .

IMG_0037_zpsh0s540wm.jpg

IMG_0038_zpslxnjbouq.jpg

DW informed me that they wanted $20 more for afternoon flights , and concerned that they might arbitrarily cancel us again , I paid . " Will we get to fly ? " I asked before paying . " We hope so ", was her less than convincing answer . Our guardian angels on this day came in the form of 2 local ladies who appeared , wanting a flight also , thus increasing our chances of flying . But , we should have copied them when they took blankets with them as we boarded the balloon . But how cold could it get in 15 minutes ?

Up , up and away !

IMG_0040_zpsd4h7lmfx.jpg

They had informed us that we could walk around the gondola , before we left the ground , but that we should stay balanced and not all go to one side .

IMG_0041_zps4kao2rrw.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

It was cold , breezy and raining . Additionally , with the back lighting there was a lot of glare , so it was tough to get good photos . But the beauty of the city , both Old Town and new , shone thru !

IMG_0059-001_zpsni2nic9p.jpg

IMG_0054-001_zpsbzsbl0tq.jpg

And , back on the ground , with the light at our back , the ladies in waiting looked beautiful

IMG_0077_zps9dic3oax.jpg

from every angle !

IMG_0091_zpsxeeek6vg.jpg

IMG_0109_zpsf6wlq0v0.jpg

IMG_0130-001_zpsv8nhtbkt.jpg

Great review and pictures. Out of interest (the kids are asking), what movies are available / showing on Eclipse at the moment?

I wish that we could help you but we didn't watch any movies - only the football ( soccer ) matches . Maybe somebody else who has been on more recently can help you .

After the rain stopped , I went up on deck for some final photos of Tallinn .

IMG_0111_zpst1fmyncm.jpg

Front row seats for the Emerald's sail away .

IMG_0128_zpsasakiotk.jpg

More Baltic blues

IMG_0141-001_zpsvpdtoopr.jpg

Away she goes !

IMG_0145_zpspb7g8pyq.jpg

Moving forward for one last look

IMG_0155_zps15uxo3pz.jpg

And a last photo of Tallinn's Old Town .

97fedf67-c7ba-4417-a2f7-5f8f1a1e2756_zps6ldgxbaa.jpg

I notice that they have added another food category 'Fit,' to the menu.

I wonder how recent that is?

Well spotted Jackie ! We don't know how long that category has been around but we chose to ignore it , because when we're on a cruise we want to indulge , and enjoy ourselves . :) :D

why am I thinking you didn't enjoy that chicken "kiev" .

Below , from Wikipedia , is what I'm used to having , and expected . Perhaps what I received was the new 'Fit' version . ;)

Chicken%20Kiev_zpst4qjgjj6.jpg

Chicken Kiev

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Place of origin Russian Empire

Main ingredients Chicken breast, garlic butter, herbs, bread crumbs

Cookbook: Chicken Kiev Media: Chicken Kiev

Chicken Kiev (Ukrainian: котлета по-київськи, kotleta po-kyivsky, Russian: котлета по-киевски, kotleta po-kiyevski; literally "cutlet Kiev-style") is a popular dish of boneless chicken breast pounded and rolled around cold garlic butter with herbs, then coated with eggs and breadcrumbs, and either fried or baked.

Well spotted Jackie ! We don't know how long that category has been around but we chose to ignore it , because when we're on a cruise we want to indulge , and enjoy ourselves . :) :D

Below , from Wikipedia , is what I'm used to having , and expected . Perhaps what I received was the new 'Fit' version . ;)

Chicken%20Kiev_zpst4qjgjj6.jpg

Chicken Kiev

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Place of origin Russian Empire

Main ingredients Chicken breast, garlic butter, herbs, bread crumbs

Cookbook: Chicken Kiev Media: Chicken Kiev

Chicken Kiev (Ukrainian: котлета по-київськи, kotleta po-kyivsky, Russian: котлета по-киевски, kotleta po-kiyevski; literally "cutlet Kiev-style") is a popular dish of boneless chicken breast pounded and rolled around cold garlic butter with herbs, then coated with eggs and breadcrumbs, and either fried or baked.

Perhaps it was the new "fit" version .... but since you weren't in Aqua Class(which really isn't "fit" anyway) I suspect you would have expected what the wiki picture shows!!! :D

With the 3 short port visits completed , we now entered into the Evil Empire for 3 full days and 2 nights . Cold war hyperbole aside , it would be a long and busy stay !

DSC06126_zpsgllpitgy.jpg

Another ship

IMG_0185_zpstrjr0rmq.jpg

And with more on the horizon , the sea was blissfully calm !

IMG_0187_zpsjd4b6bvt.jpg

In order to reach SPB we would have to sail through the C-1 flood protection gates at Kronstadt . There is a good video about it here :

The Emerald Princess sailed through ahead of us .

IMG_0197_zpshlg1dupi.jpg

Here we go ! You can see the massive flood gate . What you don't see is a massive underwater tunnel carrying truck and cars beneath us !

IMG_1348_zpstbpzq8vj.jpg

And we're through !

IMG_023020Stitch-001_zpsoosttx0x.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

This map from Wikipedia shows SPB and the Ring Road . The blue arrow is the flood gates where we entered and the red arrow is Peterhof .

1191b1b3-ebd2-4933-9ee0-67a5fa56d900_zpsueozzhw8.jpg

Peterhof and it's dock are on the right and on the left , under renovation , is the Peter and Paul Cathedral .

IMG_0251_zpsw58ufr7x.jpg

The cathedral

e7c57b14-ea01-40b5-8f0d-20e1f2d4e99c_zpshwguubr4.jpg

The Emerald Princess arriving at the Marine Facade

IMG_0252_zpsjlnvka7a.jpg

The P&O Azura was already tied up .

IMG_0257_zpsvczmvfqq.jpg

And the Emerald wasn't far behind .

IMG_0253_zps5qmrjuk0.jpg