Eclipsing Northern Europe by cruise : Basic black , and Baltic blues

scubacruiserx2

I'm really enjoying your review. I can't wait to read more of St. Petersburg! I love that you didn't take a typical tour!

My favorite part of our two days there was when our small group convinced our guide that seeing a few alternate sites was preferable to a canal ride in the cold rain with fogged up windows!:eek: We visited a functioning Russian Orthodox church (St. Nicholas Cathedral), then headed for the Kuznechny Market. I loved walking around the local market, and thought it was fascinating to get a glimpse of how people live vs. visiting another tourist site. My husband and I agreed that if we go back we will try to arrange a tour to see the "real" Russia, not the "tourist" Russia. Even though the churches and museums are beautiful, my real interest anyplace is in the people and the culture.

Thanks Gracie , but you and everyone can take better photos , myselfie included ! Here's how :)

1. Memory is cheap , but memories last a long time - so take lots of photos ( I have lot of bad ones too ).

2. Change camera settings of the same place - I will shoot a nice scene 3 times using Auto , Sports and Landscape settings .

3. Edit . It's a second change to fix or make things better .

4. Learn how to use your current camera better through practice , a book or instructional video on youtube .

5. Look for a basic camera school on youtube .

6. Last of all, upgrade your equipment . All of the previous things can be done free , so try them first !

:) :D

Thanks for all the tips!!! :)

Thanks for all the tips!!! :)

We are glad that you enjoy the photos and we want to encourage you to take some also . Our 1st TA and X cruise was on the Connie where I bought Pat a camera and since then , she has taken some very nice photos - some which I had missed ! :cool:

I'm really enjoying your review. I can't wait to read more of St. Petersburg! I love that you didn't take a typical tour!

My favorite part of our two days there was when our small group convinced our guide that seeing a few alternate sites was preferable to a canal ride in the cold rain with fogged up windows!:eek: We visited a functioning Russian Orthodox church (St. Nicholas Cathedral), then headed for the Kuznechny Market. I loved walking around the local market, and thought it was fascinating to get a glimpse of how people live vs. visiting another tourist site. My husband and I agreed that if we go back we will try to arrange a tour to see the "real" Russia, not the "tourist" Russia. Even though the churches and museums are beautiful, my real interest anyplace is in the people and the culture.

Thank you Cindy we're glad that you like it . And we certainly applaud your adventuresome spirit , and it's great that you were able to persuade your guide to make those changes ! ;)

I saw that you are returning to Europe in 2017 . Have you considered a stay in Russia after your cruise ? May is our favorite time there and staying there was the best way to take it all in , in real time . We just enjoyed going shopping or eating out or hopping the Sapsan to Moscow . We also really enjoyed a day in the country at a Dascha with a Banya . And if you rent an apartment , it cost less than many hotels and we could cook or do laundry there , if you choose . We never thought that we could do it - until we did ! :) :D

Edited by scubacruiserx2

I saw that you are returning to Europe in 2017 . Have you considered a stay in Russia after your cruise ?

That's a great idea, but we're already pushing our limit at 3 weeks since Jim is still working.:rolleyes:

We're planning three plus days in Rome before our cruise, and then we'll have a total of 5 in Venice and Ljubljana before we fly home. I'm already giddy with planning and excitement...too bad I have nine months to wait!:eek:

Oh well, I have a whole new camera to learn and plenty of other things to keep myself occupied during the waiting period!

Edited by Cindy

That's a great idea, but we're already pushing our limit at 3 weeks since Jim is still working.:rolleyes:

We're planning three plus days in Rome before our cruise, and then we'll have a total of 5 in Venice and Ljubljana before we fly home. I'm already giddy with planning and excitement...too bad I have nine months to wait!:eek:

Oh well, I have a whole new camera to learn and plenty of other things to keep myself occupied during the waiting period!

I have a whole new camera to learn... I love it , it's music to my ears . :) And what did you get ?

The trip sounds absolutely amazing , and we love the pre and post cruise stays , brilliant !!! :cool:

Really enjoying your trip report. Like that you visited "off the beaten track" sites. So interesting. Thanks.

Thank you Deb . We were trying to interest Tyler and ourselves while avoiding crowds . Museum overdose was starting to set in for Ty , and on the next day we would be at some of the more known , and busy sites .

It was 10 pm by the time we reached the port with the uber cab and we all got a crash course in the new capitalism . The amount for him to enter and exit the port was equal to the cost of the fare . Additionally , we were trapped between two gates until he paid ! Of course we gladly paid the fee , and at $ 10 it wasn't too expensive for us , but it was quite a surprise for all of us . And we also gave him a nice tip for his trouble .

During the day we had picked up our Petersburg cards and a fur hat for Tyler as it was damp and cool .

DSC06256_zps4kzso37z.jpg

Here's the second day's Celebrity Today .

DSC06257_zpsmuyvqevx.jpg

DSC06259_zpslmbfohut.jpg

DSC06261_zpsjrooa8gj.jpg

DSC06262_zps9hbp7nvu.jpg

We had promised to sleep in a little latter and we had a different guide scheduled for the next day . We also had a message on the phone from Alla tours saying that we would meet at 9 am which we thought was strange . Our guide Polina works independently , for Alla and also for Tours by Locals , which is where we first met . And we usually e-mail , or phone each other directly so this call seemed a bit different .

By the time we woke up the next morning - it was COLD .

DSC06263_zps2c2hrmmo.jpg

I have a whole new camera to learn... I love it , it's music to my ears . And what did you get ?

The trip sounds absolutely amazing , and we love the pre and post cruise stays , brilliant !!! :cool:

I got a Fujifilm X-T1...I'm going mirrorless to lighten the load. Trudging through the rainforest of the Dominican Republic earlier this month I really struggled with the weight of my camera, even on a sling. I also know I need to cut down on my carry-on weight because we're flying Lufthansa. Now, I'm certainly not ready to get rid of my Canon, but I might consider it down the road if this new camera works for me. I will probably, however, sell a lens or 2 since I seldom use them and I want to get, at the very least a wide angle and a good low-light fixed distance lens before the trip. I figure parting ways with my 70-200 L will help in the funding department!:rolleyes:

Sorry to hijack your thread with camera talk. I'm a little apprehensive because I used a Sony NEX for a while and HATED it, but I'm going to try to take the time to really explore this camera and see if it will work for me.

By the time we woke up the next morning - it was COLD .

DSC06263_zps2c2hrmmo.jpg

That's about the temperature it was when we convinced our guide to change the afternoon's itinerary. We were cold and wet! Here's our group (plus some other people) waiting outside Catherine Palace while our guide got our tickets. It was a long wait...the computers were down, and they had to hand-write the tickets for each group wile we waited. In the cold. And the rain.:rolleyes:

IMG_4956W-L.jpg

That's my mom in the middle (with the hat under her hood). She was trying to smile, but I think at that point she was probably secretly wondering what the heck she was doing in Russia. Standing outside. In the cold. And the rain.:D

Edited by Cindy

It was 10 pm by the time we reached the port with the uber cab and we all got a crash course in the new capitalism

Hmm, I think you got a crash course in something else. We returned via uber 3 days in a row to the port and never got charged anything other than the (ridiculously cheap) fare. It was around 300-400 rubles depending on where we we were picked up in town. Drivers didn't charge us any port fee.

After a great nights sleep and breakfast we were downstairs at 9 am to meet Polina and perhaps , her daughter . She was to be our guide and driver for the day and we had hoped that her oldest daughter may go along , as her younger had on a previous tour . But , at 9:30 we were becoming concerned .

DSC06270_zps5ayzgwi4.jpg

About that time Anna showed up and explained that Polina's daughter was ill and that she would be guiding us for the next 2 days . Additionally , we also had a driver . This explained the call from Alla .

Next stop , the Naval Cathedral .

DSC06320_zpshkndropw.jpg

She was up to speed on our flexible plan of what we wanted to do and this stop was a bonus before an early opening to the Hermitage .

The Bell tower

IMG_0362_zpswumzdium.jpg

I took an upper and a lower photo and stitched them together , but you can see a misalignment of the columns , at the blue arrow .

21caee5c-3b20-4f8b-9e36-8f04b16c5090_zpshpio3sqa.jpg

Here's a nice article and photos , including an interior shot , which we are not supposed to take . But of course , some people did anyway .

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/cathedrals/st-nicholas-cathedral/

And a couple from a previous trip . First from the park in the rear .

dc50ba22-7df3-4e6d-bcbf-05fa675b7e95_zpsx23hiwgf.jpg

And one on a clear day with the sun back lighting the cupolas .

59ffff05-8829-462e-9318-2094f97549fe_zpsgrrmi392.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

An early opening at the Hermitage .

With a nearly empty hall

IMG_0368_zpsjbqsxqnq.jpg

Waiting for the ladies

IMG_0380_zpstjiy2yji.jpg

Entrance to the Jordan staircase

IMG_0380_zpstjiy2yji.jpg

A horizontal view

IMG_0392_zpsu6m30hxc.jpg

The principal or Jordan Staircase of the Winter Palace, St Petersburg is so called because on the Feast of the Epiphany the Tsar descended this imperial staircase in state for the ceremony of the "Blessing of the Waters" of the Neva River, a celebration of Christ's baptism in the Jordan River. The staircase is one of the few parts of the palace retaining the original 18th-century style. The massive grey granite columns, however, were added in the mid 19th century . From Wikipedia

A vertical stitch to show the ceiling

IMG_038220Stitch-001_zpsvu9kztqq.jpg

Anna took this group shot using Pat's little pocket camera .

L1120712_zpsmc8hps8k.jpg

The principal or Jordan Staircase of the Winter Palace, St Petersburg is so called because on the Feast of the Epiphany the Tsar descended this imperial staircase in state for the ceremony of the "Blessing of the Waters" of the Neva River, a celebration of Christ's baptism in the Jordan River. from Wikipedia

Strange, I always understood that the coming of the Wise Men was celebrated on Epiphany (my birthday, January 6 th) which in Catholic countries is Christmas Day. Certainly in Tenerife they we have seen processions which include camels, which the wise men were thought to have used.

My mother used to tell me I was born on 'old Christmas Day.'

Strange, I always understood that the coming of the Wise Men was celebrated on Epiphany (my birthday, January 6 th) which in Catholic countries is Christmas Day. Certainly in Tenerife they we have seen processions which include camels, which the wise men were thought to have used.

My mother used to tell me I was born on 'old Christmas Day.'

A great observation Jackie , so I looked and I found this article on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_water_in_Eastern_Christianity

A partial quote :

Jesus' baptism is commemorated in the Eastern Orthodox churches at the Feast of Theophany (literally "manifestation of God") on January 6 (for those Orthodox Christians who use the Julian Calendar, January 6 falls on the Gregorian Calendar date of January 19). At the Vespers of this feast, a font of holy water is typically blessed in the church, to provide holy water for the parish's use in the coming year. The next morning, after the Divine Liturgy a procession goes from the church to a nearby river, lake or other body of water, to bless that water as well. This represents the redemption of all creation as part of humanity's salvation.

Photo: Blessing the waters of the Neva on Theophany

BlesssingofWatersNeva%201_zpsqygzyhhp.jpg

Thus it seems that January 6th is Epiphany is the West , but celebrated as Theophany in the East . And so it seem that you hit a trifecta Jackie , a birthday , Epiphany and Theophany ! :cool:

I got a Fujifilm X-T1...I'm going mirrorless to lighten the load. Trudging through the rainforest of the Dominican Republic earlier this month I really struggled with the weight of my camera, even on a sling. I also know I need to cut down on my carry-on weight because we're flying Lufthansa. Now, I'm certainly not ready to get rid of my Canon, but I might consider it down the road if this new camera works for me. I will probably, however, sell a lens or 2 since I seldom use them and I want to get, at the very least a wide angle and a good low-light fixed distance lens before the trip. I figure parting ways with my 70-200 L will help in the funding department!

Sorry to hijack your thread with camera talk. I'm a little apprehensive because I used a Sony NEX for a while and HATED it, but I'm going to try to take the time to really explore this camera and see if it will work for me.

That's about the temperature it was when we convinced our guide to change the afternoon's itinerary. We were cold and wet! Here's our group (plus some other people) waiting outside Catherine Palace while our guide got our tickets. It was a long wait...the computers were down, and they had to hand-write the tickets for each group wile we waited. In the cold. And the rain.:rolleyes:

IMG_4956W-L.jpg

That's my mom in the middle (with the hat under her hood). She was trying to smile, but I think at that point she was probably secretly wondering what the heck she was doing in Russia. Standing outside. In the cold. And the rain.:D

No worries about a hijack since camera speak , is spoken here ! ;) . It looks like a nice system (I took a peek ) . And at first glance with the 3 dial array , it looked kinda familiar !

DSC06905-002_zpsuun38ez3.jpg

And it looks like a fun group enjoying the Russian Weather ! That reminds me of our Moscow guide's comment about the cold , rainy weather when we first met her ; " Russian weather , 9 months of anticipation , and 3 months of disappointment ! " :rolleyes:

Loving your review and photos. Will be in the Baltic next summer and hoping for good weather!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you , and we hope that you have great weather also . Are you any relation to Joe , cocker2 ? :) :D

Edited by scubacruiserx2

The top of the Jordan Staircase

IMG_0403_zps6foryywg.jpg

In the next room was this display case

IMG_0404_zpse7soskta.jpg

It contained Prussian Military Batons

IMG_0405_zpsrt2sul0w.jpg

The next room was the Hall of Peter the Great

IMG_0410-001_zpsef4exp8h.jpg

The next room was even larger , The Armorial Hall .

IMG_0418_zpsxx1u5jq3.jpg

The golden hue there ,reminded us of the Golden Hall in Stockholm .

IMG_0426_zpsodrizkq9.jpg

Ty could see the crowd in the courtyard growing

IMG_0427_zpswbcz6tmr.jpg

The next room was The Hall of 1812 which was filled paintings concerning the war after Napoleon invaded Russia .

IMG_0439_zpsbszza7r3.jpg

Field Marshal Kutuzov is considered a major hero in the war against Napoleon . In this painting , he appears to have three arms to me .

IMG_0436-001_zpsjedsnlfl.jpg

The next room is The Saint George Hall

IMG_0456_zpsuzkqlvek.jpg

with it's beautiful throne .

IMG_0459-002_zpsw4dhv86b.jpg

And directly behind it in the next room is this hand carved piece .

IMG_0461_zpsvfkogdbm.jpg

At this point there is a transition between buildings with some nice windows and views .

IMG_0466_zpsztaw3qhn.jpg

I do love this piece of glass

IMG_0465_zpsvfoowgha.jpg

and the garden

IMG_0469-001_zpsdhtfubed.jpg

IMG_0483_zpsf7klhyzy.jpg

In the next room is the peacock clock

IMG_0475_zpsv9yrj6m2.jpg

And the crowds began !

IMG_0485_zpsfuwwvnkz.jpg

The clock comes to life when it's wound up . Please see the video here :

IMG_9543_zpsgc5socw5.jpg

There is also a large , beautiful mosaic in the room .

IMG_0482_zps5aycwuz4.jpg

We now entered room 214

IMG_0506_zpsfe9ikre8.jpg

The da Vinci room

9e12a579-96d5-409c-8685-0caad7c32af1_zpsem2s7o9v.jpg

IMG_9615_zps7rfqiexb.jpg

The room features 2 paintings from the true renaissance genius , Leonardo da Vinci .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci

The first is the Benois Madonna - 1478 .

IMG_9585_zpsqcbo8ith.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benois_Madonna

Thank you so much for this excellent thread. Your photos are amazing and your posts are a great read.

We did a Baltic cruise 2007 on celebrity Century and enjoyed it. Your photos bring back good memories. Thanks very much, Jean.

Thank you so much for this excellent thread. Your photos are amazing and your posts are a great read.

We did a Baltic cruise 2007 on celebrity Century and enjoyed it. Your photos bring back good memories. Thanks very much, Jean.

You're welcome Jean , and thank you for your kind words . There have been a number of positive changes since you last visited . More people speak English , and the signage reflects it also . And many of the building have been further restored as a result of , and in search of tourist revenue . Also , the new port and the Fabrege Museum are first rate . On the down slope however , there are many more visitors now , than before . :eek: