Bombing in Istanbul airport

Minoushka

Just another set of monsters killing people in the name of a "cause" that in no way impacted them and a cause that started by rich men fooling poor people to die for those rich men to get richer/re-attain their level of influence.

Honestly, I am surprised there aren't more of these events. Anyone with a working knowledge of high school chemistry and some cash can easily procure the components to make a HOLE in the Earth from the most innocent and obvious places.

Thankfully the monsters either never went to high school, failed chemistry or are blind!

From what "I read by the pa-apers", homegrown explosives tend to turn on their maker in the lab, and in the field tend to be a bit hit or miss. Since there is probably enough military surplus explosive in the Middle East to power a rocket to the moon, it is not surprising they use that. Horrible, but horribly logical.

Edited by Wehwalt

You make some interesting points however, just to point out, two successful and two attempted terrorist-related bomb attacks resulting in dead and injured victims have taken place in, or over, the U.S.

1993 NYC World Trade Center bombing

2009 Northwest Airlines flight attempted 'underwear' bombing

2010 NYC Times Square attempted car bombing

2013 Boston Marathon bombing

In addition, numerous radical Islamic bottom dwellers, shoe bomber Richard Reid among them, are currently doing serious federal prison time after having been arrested, tried and convicted for planning to carry out bomb attacks at various locations in, or enroute to, the U.S.

Compare the statistical risk of two successful bombings over a 16 year period (World Trade and Boston Marathon) in separate cities. To 5 bombings in a 6 month period in the same city, with 3 being in tourist location, the 4 being in the European district (potential tourist area).

And there was San Bernardino HD.

San Bernadino was not a successful bombing and certainly did not take place in a tourist location.

Most of the attacks in the US are local venues not tourist locations, unlike what is taking place in Istanbul.

Compare the statistical risk of two successful bombings over a 16 year period (World Trade and Boston Marathon) in separate cities. To 5 bombings in a 6 month period in the same city, with 3 being in tourist location, the 4 being in the European district (potential tourist area).

Point(s) well taken

Oklahoma CityFertilizer b omb

Edited by sail7seas

Headlines today from Turkey not looking good. WP headline reads Turkey & IS appear headed toward outright war. There is more to the article, I think this would be the defiant turning point to avoiding that area.

So sorry for those injured and families that are grieving. We were to stop there overnight in Oct. and was so looking forward to that area. Will just have to wait and see...

Headlines today from Turkey not looking good. WP headline reads Turkey & IS appear headed toward outright war.....avoiding that area....

Where to avoid?

Boston? Paris? Orlando? San Bernadino? Brussels? Istanbul?.........

Turkey has the biggest army (300,000) in Europe, against maybe now 15,000 terrorist fanatics. So I know who my money would be on.

But one has to ask if Turkey really wants to fight Daesh, as they are fighting the PKK and other groups who aspire to a Kurdish homeland and independence from Turkey.

Edited by Bollinge

Oklahoma CityFertilizer b omb

that was back in 1995 so if you want to push back that far you have 3 in 20 years. However, I usually would not consider a federal office building to be a tourist venue. If you want to go back that far don't forget the Atlanta Olympics bomb which actually was a tourist location. If you want to go back to the 50's, 60's and 70's, you actually had a higher frequency. Including one incident in the capital building by Puerto Rico separatists.

5 in 6 months in Istanbul with 4 of the 5 in either major tourist locations (3) or in an area populated by expats (1) seems to be a much higher level of risk and certainly shows that it is a repetitive event. I would put the risk level as similar to that with London during the IRA bombing days a number of years ago. (I was about a block away from the Canary Wharf bomb back then).

Hi Everyone

My husband and I were in Istanbul two weeks ago while cruising on Eurodam. This was our first cruise and also our first visit to Turkey. Our stay in Istanbul was truly magical and will remain in our memories forever. Not only was the city beautiful but the people were incredibly hospitable and welcoming. I consider myself extremely lucky to have had this amazing experience and feel so deeply saddened by the recent events at Istanbul airport. The Turkish people do not deserve this to happen to them and the world is now a sadder place. Who knows if another cruise ship will be able to do as Eurodam did 14 days ago. These are truly dark days for us all.

Hi Everyone

My husband and I were in Istanbul two weeks ago while cruising on Eurodam. This was our first cruise and also our first visit to Turkey. Our stay in Istanbul was truly magical and will remain in our memories forever. Not only was the city beautiful but the people were incredibly hospitable and welcoming. I consider myself extremely lucky to have had this amazing experience and feel so deeply saddened by the recent events at Istanbul airport. The Turkish people do not deserve this to happen to them and the world is now a sadder place. Who knows if another cruise ship will be able to do as Eurodam did 14 days ago. These are truly dark days for us all.

we were on the May 6 voyage ...I agree the Turks we metwere super nice and I found both Istanbul and Kusadasi lovely

Our guide was telling us how tourism crashed after the last terror attack ...we canall imagine what this one will do ....im not sure theywillget over this one that quickly

I for one will notwish to go anywhere near there forquite some time ...unfortunate but whenwe are toldthis attackwasclearly planned a monthago ..thats very scary ...too close to home

Courage toall Turks...Im sure its not easyfor any of them

Unfortunately, these things have been happening for years. I was in Montreal in 1970 in the aftermath of the bombing of the Montreal Stock Exchange and when Pierre Laporte was kidnapped and murdered by the FLQ. The city was under martial law, and the situation was scary as hell. It passed, and I hope all will eventually quiet down in Turkey.