Bombing in Istanbul airport

Minoushka

I'm not sure that there is any easy way to approach the problem of deciding whether or not to visit a country or city based on past terrorist activity. Do the almost 10 million tourists visiting Orlando annually now boycott the city? Or the 55 million visitors to New York City? Or the millions of visitors to any of the many other targets of terrorism internationally? Is there a statistically greater chance of another bombing in Istanbul or one in Fort Lauderdale? If I'm planning a cruise, which should I avoid?

In the US, we have the blessings of a huge Atlantic Ocean between Europe and here. So, terrorist attacks in the US are rare (thank God). However, we are talking specifically about Turkey. Istanbul is just 300-400 miles away from the Syrian and Iraqi boarders, where all hell is going on. If you are a terrorist, just a half day's drive to Istanbul will get you to your target. Orlando, NYC and San Bernardino are thousands of miles and an ocean away. I feel the odds of another terrorist attack in Orlando or NYC is much less than in a country that shares a border where the most horrible atrocities are happening, only 300 miles away. To answer your final question, "is there a greater chance of a terrorist attack in Istanbul or one in Fort Lauderdale".... yes, of course. Just the geography alone increases the odds.

Edited by TAD2005

I'm surprised to read Holland America still has Istanbul on their schedule since other cruise lines canceled the port months ago.

I'm also surprised to read some still think Istanbul port visits should continue.

I cannot equate the Turkish targeted attacks on Americans with what happened at Pulse.

We were last in Istanbul five years ago and spent the day with a well known private guide. She was worried the violence in other parts of Turkey would scare tourists away from Istanbul. I doubt she ever imagined the violence would be in her city and targeting her clients.

In the US, we have the blessings of a huge Atlantic Ocean between Europe and here. So, terrorist attacks in the US are rare (thank God). However, we are talking specifically about Turkey. Istanbul is just 300-400 miles away from the Syrian and Iraqi boarders, where all hell is going on. If you are a terrorist, just a half day's drive to Istanbul will get you to your target. Orlando, NYC and San Bernardino are thousands of miles and an ocean away. I feel the odds of another terrorist attack in Orlando or NYC is much less than in a country that shares a border where the most horrible atrocities are happening, only 300 miles away. To answer your final question, "is there a greater chance of a terrorist attack in Istanbul or one in Fort Lauderdale".... yes, of course. Just the geography alone increases the odds.

I'm surprised that you have such conviction so soon after Orlando, but we are all entitled to our perspective.

I'm not sure that there is any easy way to approach the problem of deciding whether or not to visit a country or city based on past terrorist activity. Do the almost 10 million tourists visiting Orlando annually now boycott the city? Or the 55 million visitors to New York City? Or the millions of visitors to any of the many other targets of terrorism internationally? Is there a statistically greater chance of another bombing in Istanbul or one in Fort Lauderdale? If I'm planning a cruise, which should I avoid?

It is one thing if it is a one off event such as Orlando.

It is another when you have a string of events as Turkey is having now. This is the 5th bombing in Istanbul since Jan 1 of this year. 3 of them at tourist areas. A fourth in the European district. The focus on tourist areas in Istanbul certainly raises the risk. Of course the odds of any one person being caught in one of these event is quite low.

In addition in the same time there have been 22 other bombings elsewhere in Turkey, though most of those have been aimed at Turkish military forces. These numbers do not include the 4 rocket attacks from Syria into Turkey.

In the case of the US the last successful event that took place at anyplace that would be a major tourist location was the World Trade Center in 2001 in NY and that was not picked to go after tourists. The attacks in the US usually do not involve bombs and are aimed at local places (movie theater, night club, school, etc), not tourist venues.

Statistically no real comparison.

Now if you want to visit a gang area in a US city your risk might go way up.

Edited by RDC1

It is the perception of danger that badly affects tourism. Americans, it would seem do not feel threatened by the violence in their own country as much as attacks in other countries.

I have been to Turkey three times, love the country and would still go there again. I actually feel very nervous about going to the US as we constantly hear of mass shootings in the media.

On a lighter note, I am amazed to hear of people being frightened to visit our country because of spiders and snakes. Being bitten by either is extremely unlikely and medical treatment is very effective. No-one has died of a spider bit for many years and most tourists will not see either.

Where danger is perceived, tourist numbers will be affected. For Turkey it is indeed a tragedy.

So sad for people of Turkey! Visited on the Koningsdam in April. Our tour guide was so thankful we had come because their tourism industry has been so badly damaged by the loss of cruise ships - none had come in 6 months. We felt safe - lots of security in the city, but not so sure I would want to go now.

Yikes, I got a STEP warning from the State Dept for Turkey -- just yesterday but for "southeastern" Turkey:

STEP Notifications <STEP-Notifications@state.gov>

Jun 27 (1 day ago)

to ACS_TURKEY

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey.This replaces the Travel Warning dated March 29, 2016.

I am just mourning for the people that have lost their lives there.

Of course we are grateful that we went to Turkey when we did, but the biggest thing here is the loss of lives, in Turkey, Orlando (yes, in the U.S.) and other places.

Terrorism with it's uncaring attitude about whom it kills is a horrific thing.

It's a sad time in the world.

Sad, once again! :( The world needs to come together and put a permanent stop to this crap, perpetrated by these low life bottom dwellers in the name of religion

Ditto plus on that one.

It's time.

Bob

Currently, one is unable to book ( saying: sold out, but yeaterday there were still plenty of cabins) the Eurodam sailing of 17/07/16 with an overnight scheduled in IST.

This might mean that HAL is already contemplating alternatives.

as my family and I are booked on this sailing, I will keep a close look at these developments.

Istanbul is such a magical city. She and her People do not deserve this.

Despegue

Ps. A previous poster already blamed foreigners for these attacks ( "terrorist invaders"). Please be reminded that by far most terrorism is Homegrown, also in the USA and Europe.

Me and my family will also be on this cruise. I wanted to see Istanbul so bad.

It will probably just be replaced by a "fun" day at sea selling us grossly overpriced cocktails

The attacks in the US usually do not involve bombs and are aimed at local places (movie theater, night club, school, etc), not tourist venues.

Statistically no real comparison.

Now if you want to visit a gang area in a US city your risk might go way up.

You make some interesting points however, just to point out, two successful and two attempted terrorist-related bomb attacks resulting in dead and injured victims have taken place in, or over, the U.S.

1993 NYC World Trade Center bombing

2009 Northwest Airlines flight attempted 'underwear' bombing

2010 NYC Times Square attempted car bombing

2013 Boston Marathon bombing

In addition, numerous radical Islamic bottom dwellers, shoe bomber Richard Reid among them, are currently doing serious federal prison time after having been arrested, tried and convicted for planning to carry out bomb attacks at various locations in, or enroute to, the U.S.

Edited by Copper10-8

You make some interesting points however, just to point out, two successful and two attempted terrorist-related bomb attacks resulting in dead and injured victims have taken place in, or over, the U.S.

1993 NYC World Trade Center bombing

2009 Northwest Airlines flight attempted 'underwear' bombing

2010 NYC Times Square attempted car bombing

2013 Boston Marathon bombing

In addition, numerous radical Islamic bottom dwellers, shoe bomber Richard Reid among them, are currently doing serious federal prison time after having been arrested, tried and convicted for planning to carry out bomb attacks at various locations in, or enroute to, the U.S.

And there was San Bernardino HD.

It is hard to believe that the wonderful country of Turkey where we spent 16 days last year has been turned into this place where we are so frightened to return to. We spent time at each place that these bombs have exploded so they are really targetting tourist areas which is so sad.

Just hard to think we were in Istanbul almost exactly a year ago and that our best friends had just come through the airport there to join us on the second part of a back-to-back. We have spent many days, and a few nights, in Turkey over the past four years. We've met such gracious and welcoming people, visited amazing sites, and just overall had a great time. Sad, sad, sad. :(

That's just it stratheden and randyk47. They are so gracious and welcoming. I was there in '85 for about a month and found the Turkish people as a whole to be so welcoming, warm and helpful. Even in the south where things were less modern and we were a bit more of an unusual event, visitors were encouraged enthusiastically to learn customs, speak some Turkish, eat great food and drink tea (real tea, not apple stuff) while you shopped. It's one of my favourite places I've been. I so want to go back again. My heart goes out to the Turkish people who will suffer so much from this horror.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You're right! Three explosive devices were left by those two winners in a backpack at the Center

Also the 1970 University of Wisc. Madison bombing. 1 killed-3 injured.

The Weather Underground bombed the U.S. Capitol, the Pentagon and several NYPD police stations. Led by William Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn who eventually became college professors.

For all Australian passengers planned onboard Eurodam 17/07 sailing:

Smartraveller.gov.au has the following advice for Turkey and Istanbul:

We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Ankara and Istanbul because of the high threat of terrorist attack. Pay close attention to your personal security at all times. Monitor the media and other sources about possible new security risks.

Terrorists maintain an interest in attacking tourist destinations in Turkey. These places include tourist sites in and around Izmir, Antalya, and nearby coastal areas, tourist locations in Istanbul, Ankara and Adana, as well as other locations in Turkey that are frequented by tourists. You should exercise heightened caution in these areas and be vigilant to your personal safety and surroundings.

Ataturk International Airport in Istanbul was the subject of a terrorist attack on 29 June. If you are concerned about the welfare of friends and family you should seek to contact them in the first instance. If you are unable to contact them directly, you can contact DFAT's 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre on +61 2 6261 3305 or 1300 555 135 within Australia.

We continue to receive information that indicates that terrorists may be planning attacks in Turkey which could take place at any time​. Tourist areas and locations frequented by foreigners have been attacked. Further attacks in urban centres are expected. See Safety and security.

Basically: they ask to reconsider the need to travel to Istanbul.

Please check with your Travel insurer if you are still insured when visiting Istanbul...

I haven't seen any new updates on other government travel advisory sites.

Just another set of monsters killing people in the name of a "cause" that in no way impacted them and a cause that started by rich men fooling poor people to die for those rich men to get richer/re-attain their level of influence.

Honestly, I am surprised there aren't more of these events. Anyone with a working knowledge of high school chemistry and some cash can easily procure the components to make a HOLE in the Earth from the most innocent and obvious places.

Thankfully the monsters either never went to high school, failed chemistry or are blind!

I have seen posts on CC after prior terrorist acts in Turkey saying that people should still go, because the chances of being impacted by a terrorist attack is 1 in 10 million, or some other very slim odds. They say that you have greater odds of being injured in a tornado. All of these odds are true. But if you see a tornado, and drive right up to it, your chances of getting injured are much greater. Same with terrorism, if you place yourself in close proximity to areas where terrorism is rampant, obviously the odds are much worse.

Another point to consider, many travel insurance companies do not cover acts of war, uprisings, acts of terror, etc.

Very good points. Why invite problems.