Going from Gold to Platinum (Priority Boarding)

youdav

My girlfriend just got off the Carnival Liberty yesterday, and we will be leaving on a 7 day cruise aboard the Carnival Freedom on Saturday. We were under the assumption we would have priority boarding on the next cruise because she attains Platinum status during the cruise.

When we went to print boarding passes she was still Gold status and her last cruise hadn't even posted yet. I called Carnival and the rep told me that she would not be Platinum on the next cruise because she wouldn't have the appropriate number of days until the fifth day, which is more than halfway past the cruise.

This is the first time I have heard of this. I am Red and will be attaining Gold status on the next cruise and they already have me listed at Gold on their website. Seems like with Carnival the higher up you go the more they try to screw you over.

Has anybody else had any experience with this?

Maybe it's because the days from her present cruise haven't posted yet? Once they do she should reprint her boarding passes. It is my understanding that as long as you reach the days on the cruise, the new tier will be in effect at the beginning of the cruise.

Also, look on the actual boarding pass and luggage tags, not in her VIFP info. It will say the tier she is now vs what she will be until she sails under the new tier.

Hope this all makes sense.

I agree, the previous cruise must not have posted. We are at 65 days now and our boarding passes for our 10 day cruise are marked with Priority. You might want to call back and talk to someone else.

I spoke with three different people because the first two couldn't answer my question and the last one basically told me she wouldn't attain Platinum status because she wouldn't have the right amount of days until the 5th day into a 7 day cruise. He said the rules state that you have to obtain the right amount of days before the halfway point of your cruise. I asked him where the rules were and he said the VIFP section of carnival.com.

The biggest benefit of Platinum status to us is the Priority boarding. Just hope we can get it.

I agree with everyone that her recent cruise probably just hasn't posted. It took several days for my Feb cruise to post. I reach platinum on day 6 of an 8 day cruise this October and my docs list me as priority and my vifp level as platinum

Here is the actual quote from the "terms and conditions"

"Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the event a Member books a Cruise in which such Member will attain the necessary VIFP Points to reach a new Level during or by the end of such Cruise (a “Crossover Cruise”), CCL may, in its sole discretion, offer such Member the Benefits offered to Members of the higher Level during the Crossover Cruise."

http://secure.carnival.com/loyalty/termsandconditions.aspx

My girlfriend just got off the Carnival Liberty yesterday, and we will be leaving on a 7 day cruise aboard the Carnival Freedom on Saturday. We were under the assumption we would have priority boarding on the next cruise because she attains Platinum status during the cruise.

When we went to print boarding passes she was still Gold status and her last cruise hadn't even posted yet. I called Carnival and the rep told me that she would not be Platinum on the next cruise because she wouldn't have the appropriate number of days until the fifth day, which is more than halfway past the cruise.

This is the first time I have heard of this. I am Red and will be attaining Gold status on the next cruise and they already have me listed at Gold on their website. Seems like with Carnival the higher up you go the more they try to screw you over.

Has anybody else had any experience with this?

That is usually not the case.

When you're attaining platinum status on a cruise you are considered platinum from the first day. She needs to call back BUT you will not be allowed to board early with her, you need to be platinum also. If you think this is unfair think about a large family all boarding early with grandma and grandpa (who are platinum) and you'll see the reason.

When you're attaining platinum status on a cruise you are considered platinum from the first day. She needs to call back BUT you will not be allowed to board early with her, you need to be platinum also. If you think this is unfair think about a large family all boarding early with grandma and grandpa (who are platinum) and you'll see the reason.

Actually I believe it is everyone in the cabin. So just Grandma's favorites get to board early ;)

This is incorrect. Assuming the OP is booked in the same room, they will all check in at the Platinum desk. As long as one passenger in the room is Platinum, all guests in the same room check in and board together.

Edited by bigman01

When I went from Gold to Platinum was right after a four day cruise on Sensation. We stayed overnight at the Queen Mary and I checked my booking for the next day's Miracle cruise and it showed Platinum and VIP. I would turn Platinum on one of the days of the cruise.

The small issue was that because of the short time between cruises my name wasn't on the list for Platinum boarding. We boarded regular but then went to Guest Services and they checked and verified I would turn Platinum on the cruise. They cut me a new Platinum card and we received the gift and laundry but no daily chocolates. I could have cared less about that.

Since then there has been no issue and my "Gold" wife has had VIP boarding with me. She will be Platinum on our next cruise in October and her boarding documents now show her as Platinum.

Take care,

Mike

I just had the same issue, kinda. I returned from a 7 day with 73 days and another 7 day booked. My cruise history updated my days 2 days after I returned but my boarding pass for the next cruise didn't update until Friday after I returned (5 days).

I would say reprint everything a day or 2 after her cruise history updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When you're attaining platinum status on a cruise you are considered platinum from the first day. She needs to call back BUT you will not be allowed to board early with her, you need to be platinum also.

Nope. The entire cabin boards together. That's been our experience for several cruises, the most recent being in February.

Edited by BallFour4

This is incorrect. Assuming the OP is booked in the same room, they will all check in at the Platinum desk. As long as one passenger in the room is Platinum, all guests in the same room check in and board together.

You learn something every day. The family I travel with have their own cabin (of course) so I didn't think about those sharing a cabin...Under that rule it still wouldn't be a lot of extra people...I remember boarding an airplane (SW) a woman in a wheel chair had about a dozen family members with her and they all boarded early. When we landed she was the first one off (without a wheel chair or assistance)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give an update. After my GF got credit for her previous cruise then she was able to get priority boarding on the upcoming cruise (on which she was getting Platinum status). At check-in she did receive a Platinum sail and sign card.

P.S. I was surprised how many people didn't show up for the VIFP party. We did the Cheers program so we really didn't need the free drinks, but it was fun hearing from the crew and speaking with other cruisers about their experiences.