Civitavecchia train station

kbert92069

I'll need to get to the Civitavecchia train station from the cruise ship docking in port. Is there an easy way to do this? I hear that the taxis all only want the long fare into Rome and will refuse the local trip.

We plan to take the train to Venice from the port.

Suggestions? Comments?

You will take the port bus to its gate and then the Argo as noted or it is about a 15 min walk. Biggest frustration is that the port bus will sit until he has "enough" passengers before leaving. Extra few minutes cost a group of us the early train this month

• 9 months later...

If you are healthy and like to take a long walk...it is still possible to walk from your ship's pier to the old port entrance/exit by the Fort....which is still open for pedestrians. From there its about a 10 min walk to the train station. The amount of time to walk from your ship to the Fort entrance will vary depending on your docking position. But it can sometimes take more then 20 min which means about 30 min from ship to train station (if you are a fast walker and want the exercise). Otherwise you are at the mercy of the internal port bus as to how long you wait for the bus and how long they wait to depart for their drop site just outside the port. From that site you could also walk to the bus station in about 20 min...or take the shuttle bus (mentioned in other posts) for about 2 Euros. Either way you should be fine for 9:16. We have generally made one of the trains that depart around 8....but our ships have generally docked around 7am.

My advice is to get off your ship ASAP, and then assess the situation. If a port bus is waiting and is starting to fill up you might want to try that option. No bus....perhaps you want to start the long hike (or pray a bus will soon arrive).

Hank

From the shuttle terminus it´s 20 min walking to the train station (yes, I did it and I checked the time).

Walking from the ship to the train station is doable but it depends on where your ship is docked. From pier 25 you can´t walk. You need to take the shuttle bus. From piers 10 - 13 you can walk. It took us 30 min from 13 South to the train station and we were walking fast. So if you are a slower walker expect up to 45 min. We left the ship at about 7:15 am, discussed with the bus driver whether he stops near the Forte or not (the answer was no) and then started walking. We bought the train tickets at the counter (no one there, it was a Sunday morning) and caught the 8:01 am train.

steamboats

Hi thanks for that information. We will also be wanting to get the train. As our cruise ends at Civitavecchia we will have luggage. How does luggage work on the port shuttle and local bus? Other question is regarding the station, is there a lift or escalator? or do we have to deal with steps?

Tara Jane,

The shuttles are coaches with a luggage compartment. The local busses - you have to find room for your bag.

No, unfortunately there are neither escalators or elevators at Civitavecchia train station. Usually the trains for Rome leave at track 1 where you don´t have to deal with steps.

steamboats

Thank you, we will then take the risk and hope for track 1. We aren't in a hurry so can do it slowly if need be. Staying the night at a convent near termini as we have a flight to Munich the following day. Have spent a lot of time in Rome previously so won't be doing the rush around rome in 24 hours.

Hi,

it seems to be an old thread, but there are some new posters with new questions and new answers.

I have not been to Civitavecchia yet but I am looking at many of the posts - getting ready for our cruise in July.

I found a couple videos very helpful ..... there are good maps included in those videos with explanation where some of the points ( that some posters talk/write about) are located.

I found the videos helpful when planning my/our movements in Civitavecchia ....... maybe some other people will find them helpful as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ibAJ38fKQ

Thank you, we will then take the risk and hope for track 1. We aren't in a hurry so can do it slowly if need be. Staying the night at a convent near termini as we have a flight to Munich the following day. Have spent a lot of time in Rome previously so won't be doing the rush around rome in 24 hours.

We like to warn fellow do it yourselferers about potential luggage issues. If you are taking the train to Termini and plan to exit the station....the Civitavecchia trains use some of the most distant tracks (from the main station entrance/exit). I am not sure of the exact distance, but it feels like about 1 /3 of a mile from the entrance to the tracks. This is not a problem as long as you can easily roll your luggage. Otherwise, it can be an issue...especially for those with mobility issues. We do a lot of independent travel throughout Italy and Europe (often by rental car) and actually give a lot of consideration to luggage issues when planning our transportation.

Hank

Hlitner - thank you. We do travel light and generally go fine on DIY but still have plenty of time to re think.

I did find a couple of companies that have a direct bus port to FCO to Termini that might be worthwhile considering.

Last time we were in Civi we would have been at the old port area as it was 2013. I recall we walked to the Marilyn Monroe statue. Does anyone know how close to the new port area it is? That was one consideration of doing the bus/train as from google it seems the statue was on the way to the station. Others we are travelling with would like to see the statue.

anyone else thinking of whether to bus or train might find this useful. I found the info somewhere here on cc so reposting.

http://www.smartcruisetours.com/index.php/destinations/rome/rome-transfers?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=103&category_id=12