Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Again, NCl's fb page, is not mine. Gasp.... Yes, I know about how to get to visitor's posts on their page.Gasp again. What is on there does not make me happy or sad. I was replying to another poster who mentioned posts on ncls fb page.

Again, with the schooling on Fb???? I need no help getting around Fb.

From your pic here, you seem like you'd be a nice guy..but as the saying goes...pics are deceiving.

I wasn't trying to be mean - there are a lot of people that don't know the visitor posts are segregated now and they assume they're being purged. If you knew that, you should know that the complaints about soda/water are still there.

:rolleyes:

I also just called their corporate office @ 1-800-456-7298, spoke to a live person and registered my complaint about the new policy and the high cost of water on board.

Even if they do not change anything, at least I tried to do something.

Exactly. Complaining to each other may disseminate information that might prevent some embarkation shock but if you feel strongly about this issue, spend a few minutes (and 47cents,really) to speak out. It's the accumulation of thousands of voices that induce change or, at least, modification. I've called and written as well.

My plan is to bring a couple of containers powdered baby formula. I will bring a case or two of water for the formula which is allowed under new rules.

only kidding, don't flame me for this joke

But where will you get the baby, lol

My plan is to bring a couple of containers powdered baby formula. I will bring a case or two of water for the formula which is allowed under new rules.

I like it! :)

I've put my stuff through scanners when embarking every cruise Ive ever taken

They also do it when you reboard at every port

This is common practice and not new at all

This was a second scan. They scanned your carry on in the terminal as normal and did it a second time after boarding the ship. I assume to catch anyone who purchased beverages at the duty free after security.

This was a second scan. They scanned your carry on in the terminal as normal and did it a second time after boarding the ship. I assume to catch anyone who purchased beverages at the duty free after security.

I've only been in a handful of cruise ports but I don't recall seeing duty free in any of the cruise terminals that I've been in.

just saw a $3.95 internet activation fee....they just dont give up

It's been there since 2003 at least. It's not at all new, and I believe it goes to their concessionnaire.

Bets on this hitting 100 pages?

Depends on your posts-per-page setting. Mine is 40 pp, so we'd need another 2,000 posts to hit 100 pages.

Stephen

Don't laugh, there was a poster in either this thread or the "no medical waivers" thread that said that since water for baby formula was going to be allowed, he was going to bring water on since that is what the terms said. He was going to bring some formula. When people said that he needed to bring a baby, he stated that the terms didn't say the baby needed to be with you. And then he said that he would "identify" as a baby for that day (thank you, Rachel Dolezal, for introducing this concept to society :().

I think he was probably joking, but it's easy to see how far some people would go to try and get around rules.

FDR just squeezed another nickel and another dime from his 'valued' customers.

not really. i'll just adjust my gratuities to match the cost i have to spend on the soda package if they refuse to allow me to bring my own soda on board. ncl won't get one dime more than i'm willing to spend while on board and if that means screwing their employees over, so be it.

This is the most amazing cost saving web site ever.

I think about booking a cruise. I read these forums. I imagine dining with 4 other couples and the topic of conversation can not go beyond soda smuggling, and how offended we are all because we could not carry on a pallet of Coke. Then I book a flight and hotels instead.

Cruising is becoming something akin to being locked inside Sam's Club for weeks with no possibility of parole.

not really. i'll just adjust my gratuities to match the cost i have to spend on the soda package if they refuse to allow me to bring my own soda on board. ncl won't get one dime more than i'm willing to spend while on board and if that means screwing their employees over, so be it.

Sorry to say, there are no adjustments to the gratuity charges on NCL. If you want to complain or adjust the gratuities you must write and lodge your complaint after you leave the ship with NCL. You will be charged. Then you have to fight for what your complaint was with NCL Miami Corporate offices and "good luck" with that.

NCL has you by the baxxs on this one.

Don't laugh, there was a poster in either this thread or the "no medical waivers" thread that said that since water for baby formula was going to be allowed, he was going to bring water on since that is what the terms said. He was going to bring some formula. When people said that he needed to bring a baby, he stated that the terms didn't say the baby needed to be with you. And then he said that he would "identify" as a baby for that day (thank you, Rachel Dolezal, for introducing this concept to society :().

I think he was probably joking, but it's easy to see how far some people would go to try and get around rules.

Of course even if someone did, normal bottled water does not qualify as distilled or purified which is what is allowed with baby formula.

Edited by RDC1

I think about booking a cruise. I read these forums. I imagine dining with 4 other couples and the topic of conversation can not go beyond soda smuggling, and how offended we are all because we could not carry on a pallet of Coke. Then I book a flight and hotels instead.

Cruising is becoming something akin to being locked inside Sam's Club for weeks with no possibility of parole.

Classic, luv it!!

I have often wondered if cruise lines have people monitoring this site just to identify what changes to make to get rid of people that do minimal spending on board (carry their own drinks on board, book only independent excursions, arbitrage line exchange rates, etc.).

Why waste a 47 cent stamp?
My kids might say , they still sell stamps ? One day my grandkids will say , what's a stamp .

Sorry to say, there are no adjustments to the gratuity charges on NCL. If you want to complain or adjust the gratuities you must write and lodge your complaint after you leave the ship with NCL. You will be charged. Then you have to fight for what your complaint was with NCL Miami Corporate offices and "good luck" with that.

NCL has you by the baxxs on this one.

I did not know this . :confused: I guess if your going to treat your pax poorly , this is a good policy to have .

I have often wondered if cruise lines have people monitoring this site just to identify what changes to make to get rid of people that do minimal spending on board (carry their own drinks on board, book only independent excursions, arbitrage line exchange rates, etc.).

Well, I would! :cool:

Identifying individual trouble-makers might not be that easy, but certainly catching up on the latest tricks or trends and such must surely be useful. We live in an information rich society - intelligence is king but not something to take for granted. After all, how many post on this site, boasting of the things they have got away with and how, seeking nothing more than bragging rights without the slightest thought about exactly who might be taking note - dumb!

Edited by AquaMarineFerret

We know that the cruise lines monitor this site - NCL corporate used to post quite a lot on here (I think they copied and pasted their BS platitudes re Beverages near the beginning of this thread).

I have heard several crew at Meet and Greets say that they would much rather deal with any problems on board than read about it on Cruise Critic.

The bean counters are probably too busy massaging the figures for the stockholders and Wall Street to be surfing around CC - they will rely on a minimum wage marketing wonk to do that.

You can bet your bottom dollar that NCL have run the numbers and socially profiled the demographics in regard to this water/soda thing.

Their logic is as follows:

1. We want spenders on board.
  2. Spenders are drinkers/gamblers etc. - not water/soda drinkers.
  3. Those who schlep water and soda on board are not really drinkers as we want them.
  4. Maybe 5% of pax (guesstimate figure) schlep cases of water on board.
  5. We can afford to upset that 5% and lose them in the short term and will replace them with newbies who know no better.

NCL is no longer interested in catering to every customer's whim - all they want to do is to extract as many dollars from your wallet as possible, by any means possible.

This is why I have left my previously favourite cruise line for other lines - I am happy - NCL has lost a high spending boozer/gambler (not that they care).

Del Rio wants to get rid of the budget minded cruiser and attract cruisers that won't think twice about dropping $60-70 on a case of water. Every change that has been made has been made with that goal in mind (IMHO of course).

Well, I would! :cool:

Identifying individual trouble-makers might not be that easy, but certainly catching up on the latest tricks or trends and such must surely be useful. We live in an information rich society - intelligence is king but not something to take for granted.

Yup, they are a business, and if they are smart they would monitor CC to catch on to the ways people are trying to cheat the system. I have to imagine they read these boards. Example, the person that booked a suite for 4 adults and an inside across the hall for 2 children, then once onboard swapped so the kids were in the suite and two adults were in the inside, yet still got suite perks. I think NCL is right to try and end this.

And with all of the people talking about "can I use my UBP to get drinks for people who don't have it".... watch out. Pretty soon it's going to be "one drink per card per visit" and there will be some sort of timer in the swiping system that makes you wait at least ten minutes in between drinks.

I think Disney already does this in their resort hotels with their refillable unlimited drink plastic mugs (or at least it was like this when I was there two years ago). Apparently people would buy one mug and then use it to refill old mugs and outside bottles for their entire party. So Disney put a chip sensor in the bottom of the mug. You put the mug on the fountain stand, get your drink, and then you can't get another one for some amount of time. I think it might only be two minutes, but still, that's some inconvenience if you're trying to cheat the system.

My kids might say , they still sell stamps ? One day my grandkids will say , what's a stamp .

I did not know this . :confused: I guess if your going to treat your pax poorly , this is a good policy to have .

This was another change that imploded around here- you have to get a form from guest services and submit it after you've disembarked if you want to adjust the service charge for any reason. I've read that the wait can be substantial.