Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

I'm guessing for security reasons I semi-understand why they're doing it.

Nonsense. It wasn't a security issue last week? Last month? Last year? Last five years? Not much has changed in the world terrorism security climate to suddenly warrant this change by NCL.

If there were a legitimate threat, all lines would implement immediately.

can you tell me if Norwegian provides a liter size bottle of water in the rooms, and if so, what the cost is? ...

Thanks

There was a large bottle of water on cabinet in our inside cabin. I don't know if it was a liter but it was larger than the 20 oz bottles. I didn't pay attention to the price since we didn't purchase it, but think it might have been $4.50

Fortunately for me, I can drink the tap water on all cruise lines with no problem. I'm pretty sure that this is the same water used in their tea, coffee, lemonade and ice for all drinks.

There was quite the discussion here a while back which was joined in by a NCL engineer, I believe it was, who provided quite a bit of info on the subject. If I remember correctly, the ice went through a different process and perhaps the water for the tea and coffee as well, I don't recall now.

There was quite the discussion here a while back which was joined in by a NCL engineer, I believe it was, who provided quite a bit of info on the subject. If I remember correctly, the ice went through a different process and perhaps the water for the tea and coffee as well, I don't recall now.

that's chengkp75.

The water at dispenser machines, like ice, soda guns, etc. is charcoal filtered as a preventative maintenance measure for the equipment. It has the added benefit of removing any chlorine taste which may be present and makes the water subjectively taste better.

We've never been "loyal" to one cruise line. Our choice comes down to destination, cost and time of sailing, but I am now crossing NCL off the list completely I have never been on a cruise line that nickels and dimes people more than they. Their reasoning is absolutely insulting to any thinking person - security, my great-aunt Fanny. We are on the Breakaway on July 31, to Bermuda. It will be our last cruise on a Norwegian ship and I will tell them the reason why.

There was a large bottle of water on cabinet in our inside cabin. I don't know if it was a liter but it was larger than the 20 oz bottles. I didn't pay attention to the price since we didn't purchase it, but think it might have been $4.50

Ok, thanks. that will work for me!

any case I was not about to cancel my Escape cruise for next year over water:D

appreciate the response.

Just a note that I sent an e-mail through the NCL website early this morning (around 7am) and just had about a 30 minute call from them on this. We had a nice discussion and I offered them options that could work (and pointed them to Carnival's site as well for their policy).

It does show that at least, for now, they are reaching out to people who e-mail them.

Let's see if anything comes of it (hopefully, yes, and, if not, well, ugh...).

For the true conspiracy theorists among us (you know who you are), the price of bottled water onboard should drop the same day the new policy goes into effect. That way, everyone pays inflated prices until they can't bring their own. Also, NCL can claim they are looking out for their passengers.

The flaw with their plan, if it is as you propose, is the interim loss of some new bookings and the booking cancellations over this policy as it currently stands. I have time to wait before cancelling, not everyone does. If NCL fulfills your prophecy and waits until July 15 to announce a compromise I might leave anyway from sheer disgust.

As a side note, in generally and assuming the ship's systems are properly maintained, the amount of sodium in ships water is probably less than most commercial bottled waters (spring waters vary, most, like lets say Dasani use the same type of filter system the ships do to process tap water) Dasani even adds trace sodium to the water.

If you experience swelling on a cruise ship, its usually far more likely to be from the insanely high quantities of sodium in the food (especially sauces, hot soups and stews, burgers, fries, and pastries) along with activity and climate changes. Relatively small shifts in dietary habits can cause this effect, and having soup one night and not the next can even cause day to day shifts.

There is also something called Heat Edema that can cause swelling if your sodium balance is off (this can be caused by drinking more alcohol than usual as opposed to water and other beverages, as an example).

There are very few people who are sensitive to some of the trace materials added to water processing, but this will generally affect those folks on land as well.

BTW, this information came from my cardiologist, who is also an avid cruiser but limits himself to once or twice a year partly because of the way they prepare foods.

that's chengkp75.

The water at dispenser machines, like ice, soda guns, etc. is charcoal filtered as a preventative maintenance measure for the equipment. It has the added benefit of removing any chlorine taste which may be present and makes the water subjectively taste better.

Thank you for educating me. I still don't have a problem with the tap water. It's the tea that I dislike.

I've been on 11 cruises with my 12th coming up in October. Honestly though, if NCL keeps hiking those prices up over and over again, and taking more from us, that's going to be it for me. I'm going to go to another cruise line. If everyone boycotted them for one year, they would have to rethink all of their changes. That's the thing though...everybody will continue to go with them.

If NCL followed other lines and included the 500ml still bottled water in the UBP that would solve a large percentage of issues and actually encourage sensible drinking. Onboard Harmony last month I'd get a bottle of water every 3rd or 4th drink, something I've never done on NCL because of the cost and also they only had the big bottles. The plastic bottles easily compact down into a much smaller bail for recycling so nowhere near an issue as glass and aluminium bottles

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Single Cruiser

I tweeted them and saw everyone else tweeting them as well...they all got the same generic response they posted on the website. someone would complain and it was that generic message, then they would reply to that message and NCL ran away with no response to that either. and people are also furious on Instagram and Facebook so im sure the corporate office is being flooded with calls by not only customers but im sure TA's. people can Tweet Andy Stewart @nclandy as well. he responds to people fairly quickly....even if he doesn't at least he will get the message.

no water allowed to be brought onboard, No problem here as I'm satisfied with the water that I get from the dispenser in the buffet area.

No bottled soda allowed onboard, no problem, I gave up soda 15 years ago and really don't miss it....

No bottled water or Bottled soda allowed onboard, Don't go blaming NCL for this, blame the people who smuggle alcohol on board by using this method. NCL is just protecting their bottom line. I'm sure if you people owned a business that depends on the sale of alcohol, that you would implement the same rule.....

Now you can say that it is only a few people that do this, but the few will only hurt the many.

I do have a few drinks a day while onboard, and have no problems paying the price.

No bottled water or Bottled soda allowed onboard, Don't go blaming NCL for this, blame the people who smuggle alcohol on board by using this method. NCL is just protecting their bottom line. I'm sure if you people owned a business that depends on the sale of alcohol, that you would implement the same rule.....

Hey man... people that smuggle alcohol on board (successfully) don't do it using soda and water bottles.

Your argument is without merit.

We always carry two empty plastic bottles and fill them with water from the stateroom ice bucket so we find no need to take water on to the ship.

We drink tea made from the ship's water, coffee made from the ship's water, put ice made from the ship's water in drinks, drink ship's water with our meals.

If you don't want the expense of buying water on board carry some empty plastic bottles with you!!

Cruiselines typically charge for bottled water, sodas, juice etc on board so why would anyone expect to bring on their own at no charge?

You are totally missing the point some of us have.

We would NOT mind paying for Diet Coke.

But NCL will not sell it to us.

They only serve Pepsi Products.

(At hotels that stock only Pepsi, we are free to bring in Coca Cola products. At a restaurant, well... one can "get by" without Coca Cola for a meal. But for days or weeks? That's not okay. Yes, absolutely a "first world problem". But there are other cruise lines where we *can* get Diet Coke... and in some cases at NO cost. But "cost" isn't the point here. NOT being able to have a commonly available beverage for a long trip... that is the point.)

It is that simple, for us.

More generally, there wouldn't be a problem if NCL sold beverages, including still or carbonated water, at more reasonable prices.

Hey man... people that smuggle alcohol on board (successfully) don't do it using soda and water bottles.

Your argument is without merit.

Yes they do, just go to "you tube" and do a search, they will show you how it is done.......

My concern with the rule isn't the bulk stuff coming on board, but how this will affect port calls.

There are many ports of call with high temps expected, and not so good local water supplies. As a family we would usually take a bottle of water each off a ship for the day to keep ourselves hydrated.

As someone with some knowledge of public health I can easily theorise this: More cruisers will now be forced to buy onshore bottled water at ports because of those hugely inflated NCL onboard prices, and a percentage of those buying on shore in some ports will get water that may not be so safe to drink. This has the potential for increasing the number of cruisers presenting to sick bay with gastrointestinal bacterial issues.

So I hope NCL are prepared to deal with that increase.

I'd love to see the stats on presentations to sick bay with those issues after a few months of the policy. And keeping in mind the rate of gastrointestinal issues on cruise ships can affect their reputations...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes they do, just go to "you tube" and do a search, they will show you how it is done.......

You can certainly put your vodka in a water bottle or your rum in a coke bottle of you like. You will be caught.

It doesn't matter anyway. This change in policy has nothing to do with a handful of people smuggling booze.

My concern with the rule isn't the bulk stuff coming on board, but how this will affect port calls.

There are many ports of call with high temps expected, and not so good local water supplies. As a family we would usually take a bottle of water each off a ship for the day to keep ourselves hydrated.

As someone with some knowledge of public health I can easily theorise this: More cruisers will now be forced to buy onshore bottled water at ports because of those hugely inflated NCL onboard prices, and a percentage of those buying on shore in some ports will get water that may not be so safe to drink. This has the potential for increasing the number of cruisers presenting to sick bay with gastrointestinal bacterial issues.

So I hope NCL are prepared to deal with that increase.

I'd love to see the stats on presentations to sick bay with those issues after a few months of the policy. And keeping in mind the rate of gastrointestinal issues on cruise ships can affect their reputations...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Simple:-

Take an empty plastic bottle each on board at embarkation

Fill up each morning before you go ashore

Drink during the day

Empty any excess down a drain before re-boarding

Take the bottle back on board

Repeat daily till debarkation

Simple:-

Take an empty plastic bottle each on board at embarkation

Fill up each morning before you go ashore

Drink during the day

Empty any excess down a drain before re-boarding

Take the bottle back on board

Repeat daily till debarkation

Alternative:

Choose a cruise line who includes bottled water in their beverage package and allows you to carry on your own soda and water as desired. Simple.