Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

They charge you $15 for the privilege of bringing on-board a bottle of wine you already bought yourself.

You keep it in your cabin and you can even open it yourself.*

All your waiter must do is what? Make sure the wine glass is on your table?

If there's no cork there's no corkage fee, Right? ;);)

Pack a box of wine.

So your math only works for a non drinker.
Even if I included the gratuities, I would still be saving almost $200 picking NCL over Celebrity. But then, I'd be spending more on Celebrity, because I would be leaving tips for beverages and dining, since it is not included.

It is funny, I also cruise on Celebrity and yes, I can get water included in their beverage package, but it is going to cost me considerably more than I pay on NCL. Take December 16, 2017. I can cruise a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Celebrity for $1,099/$1,204/$1,414 per person in a balcony (depending on if I pick 1, 2 or 3 of the perks offered: Beverage Package, $150 OBC, prepaid tips, unlimited internet). I can cruise a 7 night Caribbean cruise on NCL for $899 per person in a balcony and the choice of 2 perks offered (beverage package, shore excursion, 250 internet minutes, SDP). Even if you do apples to apples, Celebrity would cost me $1,204 (with two perks included) and NCL would cost me $899 (with two perks included) for a balcony cabin. I think with the $300 savings, I could afford to purchase the water or wine at NCL's current prices. I think one has to look at the entire picture when picking cruises, not just one policy.

Not sure which 7 nt cruise you used as an example but to compare apples to apples we need to look at 7 nt cruises from FLL/MIA as those are the ports Celebrity sails from.

NCL Getaway is doing an 8 nt Christmas cruise on the 18th so that's not a fair comparison.

By default we must use the Escape 12/17 7nt Eastern Caribbean.

BF balcony with Beverage and 3nt dining packages (plus the service fees) is $2692.60 total for two..

By comparison the Celebrity Reflection on 12/17 7nt Western Caribbean

2D balcony with GoBetter Classic beverage package and $300 OBC per cabin $2472.00 total for two.

GoBetter is currently at GoBig price.

I know which I would choose :D

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

I realize that mostly folks are upset about the principle of NCL making abrupt policy changes, but there's many people posting about not being able to drink the ship's "tap" water for medical reasons.

If this is the case, wouldn't it have also been true before the bottled water carry-on ban? The ship's water is in everything - from ice cubes at the bar, to the soups, cake batters, and any other food that is cooked in or with water.

I'm only mentioning because I have a friend with celiac disease, and she has to be SUPER careful about every single thing she puts in her mouth - and whether or not it has come into proximity with gluten anywhere along the line. I would think someone who has medical issues relating to ship water would have to be as diligent?

If this is the case, I'm certain the Access Desk could make accommodations or grant necessary exceptions with the right medical documentation.

The Access Desk is not making any exceptions to the rule even if you can provide a doctor's note proving medical necessity.

For those of us who have already made our final payment it offers us no options. I would be fine with this if we weren't notified a month before our cruise.

Great question but people are funny that way . In truth cabin water is lukewarm at best . Clean but too warm .

Not yet anyway . Might be instituted , everyone say it together , for our convenience . :D

Lukewarm indeed, nothing ice can't cure:)

Even if I included the gratuities, I would still be saving almost $200 picking NCL over Celebrity. But then, I'd be spending more on Celebrity, because I would be leaving tips for beverages and dining, since it is not included.

We actually switched from a Christmas cruise last year on NCL to Celebrity and saved over $500 on the fare alone.

Typically NCL is cheaper but Celebrity runs some competitive deals and is a great bang for the buck. Right now we are booked on NCL to Europe next year but will certainly be watching RCCL and Celebrity prices.

The gratuity is included on Celebrity's drink package and on the specialty dining. No need to tip extra.

We actually switched from a Christmas cruise last year on NCL to Celebrity and saved over $500 on the fare alone.

Typically NCL is cheaper but Celebrity runs some competitive deals and is a great bang for the buck. Right now we are booked on NCL to Europe next year but will certainly be watching RCCL and Celebrity prices.

I cruise on both lines, but my point is that we can't expect one cruise line to mirror another, because there are price differences, etc. Some want NCL to charge what Carnival does for water, some want it included in beverage package like Celebrity and one person pointed out they get 1 free bottle of wine to bring on board.

Not sure which 7 nt cruise you used as an example but to compare apples to apples we need to look at 7 nt cruises from FLL/MIA as those are the ports Celebrity sails from.

NCL Getaway is doing an 8 nt Christmas cruise on the 18th so that's not a fair comparison.

By default we must use the Escape 12/17 7nt Eastern Caribbean.

BF balcony with Beverage and 3nt dining packages (plus the service fees) is $2692.60 total for two..

By comparison the Celebrity Reflection on 12/17 7nt Western Caribbean

2D balcony with GoBetter Classic beverage package and $300 OBC per cabin $2472.00 total for two.

GoBetter is currently at GoBig price.

I know which I would choose :D

Again NOT apples to apples - Eastern Carib is always more than Western - but a fair try anyway

The gratuity is included on Celebrity's drink package and on the specialty dining. No need to tip extra.
I always tip when I get Celebrity's drink package as a perk or dine in a specialty restaurant. Just as I do with NCL when I get it either as a perk.

I'm curious. Of the people who are complaining about water, what percentage of people "prefer" bottled water, as opposed to those who "must" have bottled water (because of swollen ankles or whatnot). I'm guessing the percentage of swollen ankle people is really low. Which brings me around to what I said earlier... 30 years ago there was no such thing as "bottled water". How on earth did people ever travel if they didn't have their bottled water?

Why?

Bathroom facets are usually coated with a lot of germs and stuff like e-coli. As we wash our hands after using the tolet all that splashes up onto and into the facets. And have you ever watched a cleaning person in a hotel or ship clean your bathroom? I have. Many use the same rag that they just wiped your tolet with and all the others in you hall to then wipe down your sink and facet. :eek: So I don't won't drink the water in the bathroom, or the cups they leave in there not even to brush my teeth or rinse my toothbrush. While most of the time these won't harm us they just gross me out.

Bathroom facets are usually coated with a lot of germs and stuff like e-coli. As we wash our hands after using the tolet all that splashes up onto and into the facets. And have you ever watched a cleaning person in a hotel or ship clean your bathroom? I have. Many use the same rag that they just wiped your tolet with and all the others in you hall to then wipe down your sink and facet. :eek: So I don't won't drink the water in the bathroom, or the cups they leave in there not even to brush my teeth or rinse my toothbrush. While most of the time these won't harm us they just gross me out.

Pretty simple, wipe it down yourself when you arrive in the cabin.

We sail September 25th, 2016 on the breakaway - still no email from NCL or TA..... I guess they are going month by month to figure out exactly what the repercussions might be before notifying all? (Lol) Has anyone else received notification on the changes who are sailing in September? I already paid in full and finished the check in process last month. Not surprised; just curious......

fau·cet - a device by which a flow of liquid or gas from a pipe or container can be controlled; a tap.

danze-faucet-d223121.jpg

faucet.

I knew someone would correct my spelling. :D I can't spell worth a darn!

I do wipe it down with disinfectant but I still don't like to use the bathroom water to drink or on my teeth or toothbrush. We all have our weird things and this is one of mine. :)

Edited by Lv-to-sail2

My wife read USA Today this morning, and was impressed that I was quoted near the beginning of the article. She wasn't even looking for the article, so she was especially surprised to see it. Yay me.

Anyway, regarding the DSC removal, I've posted this in other threads, but I should repeat it here.

It is absolutely true that removing the DSC does NOT subtract from crew pay. Every penny of the DSC goes to NCL. No matter how many people remove it, the crew gets paid the same. It is sometimes referred to as "gratuities" as a trick to get people to feel bad about removing it. (The trick is working great, btw!)

The only exception to this involves if you state a reason blaming an individual. So if your stated reason was, "My room steward was lousy", then they will reprimand the room steward. But if you list a general reason such as, "Didn't like service on board in general", nobody will get in trouble, and nobody's pay will get docked.

Some have asked for my source on this. I cannot provide that here, but I can assure you that my statement above is correct.

HOWEVER, I would only suggest removing the DSC if you absolutely never plan to cruise NCL again.

This is because all DSC removal requests now have to go through the Miami office. There is a reason for this. Such removal requests are logged, and the fact that you demanded the removal is stored. It can easily be used against you later.

How?

They can refuse other requests for you in the future. For example, let's say you took a cruise where the toilet didn't work for most of the time. When you contact the Miami office for a partial refund, they will see that you were a prior DSC remover, and may choose to compensate you less or not at all.

They can blacklist you from special offers and promotions.

They can even ban you from NCL entirely. (Don't laugh -- another cruise line banned someone for repeated complaints about them on CruiseCritic!)

It's just not a good idea to remove the DSC and be labeled by the Miami office as a problem customer, especially given Del Rio's apparently attempt to drive away "value" cruisers as of late.

Again, if this is your last NCL cruise ever, then by all means remove the DSC if that's your backdoor way of recovering funds from this whole drink fiasco.

Otherwise I would not recommend doing it.

I can already tell you that I will not be removing the DSC unless I have a legitimate problem with a specific service situation on the ship.

I have never removed the DSC in my time cruising NCL.