How much did you all spend?

mayamiyazono

:o I'd actually never tallied it all up before...that's about $1K more than we would have spent on a comparable week cruising the Caribbean. And {{sigh}} for only a few thousand more we could have done that Europe trip we dreamed of.

Believe me, Europe snowballs just like Alaska does. The most expensive vacation my wife and I have taken was two weeks in Italy last year that started with a cheap airfare and slowly included lakefront hotels, opera, expensive restaurants and more. The road to travel bankruptcy is paved with good intentions.

I worked hard to keep our first cruise to Alaska at under $2,000 per person. That included the cost of the cruise (obstructed view cabin), rental car for three nights in Seattle before the cruise, meals in Seattle, tips and other on-board expenses, airfare from the East Coast, and excursions. We kayaked in Haines on a privately booked excursion, snorkeled in Ketchikan on an excursion booked through the cruiseline, and toured Juneau on our own (bus to Mendenhall Glacier, State Capitol, and State Museum).

Our second cruise came in around the same amount per person. Our third cruise was just a little bit more--but it included five days on a land tour starting in Fairbanks. We were lucky to get a great last-minute deal, otherwise we wouldn't have wanted to go. Airfare and cruise price added up to around $2,000 per person. Our on-board expenses and excursions added up to around $500 total. On that trip, we hiked in Skagway, kayaked in Juneau (in Mendenhall Lake--once again, privately booked), and took the public bus to Totem Bight in Ketchikan.

We're going again next month. I'm working on keeping it around $2,000 per person total. Once again, I got a last-minute deal on the cruise fare. To book the same cruise for next year would be nearly double the rate we paid for this year.

Late booking bargains are what I do most. I pay significantly less than what I usually see posted by other visitors. I'm a cheap insider cruiser, and I'm open to being very flexible and do compromise on the bargains. I am able to put together efficient last minute plans- so a benefit for me. I seldom do short trips and cruise several times per season.

I go to Europe every year, and frankly, I pay pretty low rates, staying in small hotels, and really enjoy picking up walking tours. I never find the expenses there, as much as I spend in Alaska, due to my preferred touring choices.

Believe me, Europe snowballs just like Alaska does. The most expensive vacation my wife and I have taken was two weeks in Italy last year that started with a cheap airfare and slowly included lakefront hotels, opera, expensive restaurants and more. The road to travel bankruptcy is paved with good intentions.

Our recent cruise to Norway cost us about $1k less than our trip to Alaska last June. We booked an 11 night Arctic Circle cruise on RCI in an OV cabin 5 weeks before departure. We had free gratuities included, so that saved us $300 and no, the price didn't go up to get that perk. Our RT air was a bargain $864 with only one connection. We did ship excursions in 5 of the 6 ports. As usual, our pre cruise hotel was a Marriott, so free with points. Bottom line $6,200 for both of us and we didn't scrimp on anything.

Carnival Legend July 5, 2016, 8K balcony midship for 3 PAX $4200; first class airfare Detroit/DTW-Seattle/SEA R/T Delta $2400; pre- and post-cruise hotels 3 nts ($500); excursions: Tracy Arm small boat; White Pass train/Bennett Lake Bus combo; not booked for Juneau or Ketchikan, leaning towards Misty Fjords flight, Mendenhall Glacier and Mt. Roberts tram; add meals, tips and souvenirs and this may well be a $10,000 vacation.

Not even counting pre-trip purchases like rain coats, binoculars, and camera. All cruises are an improvement to my wardrobe.

The memories will be priceless. Many thanks to all of you on CC that helped me with the planning.

How was your trip? We are thinking of sailing July 4 2017 on the Legend!

I think you mean "7 day" not "7 week" cruise. ;)

Everyone's expenses will vary greatly, depending on whether they have to fly to port, how far, extra days added on, tours done, photos, drinks, etc. For example, we don't fly, don't drink much, do inexpensive tours, etc. and can do a week round trip from Seattle for 2 people for $2500 - 3000 TOTAL easily. Others choose the nicest suite, helicopter tours, added land tours, etc. and probably spend $20k+. It's really impossible to compare unless you list specific details of your trip.

You estimate is right on! We are spending 18K on a 17 night land and sea. That includes the air fare, hotels, shuttles, excursions, most of our food, but not all and most of our tips but not all. We have a balcony cabin, but on a lower deck so the least expensive balcony. I was glad to see we can go back and only spend $2500-$3000 for a 7 day! This is our "go all out pre-retirement" trip.

Just got back from Seattle round trip on NCL Pearl with 4 nights in Seattle.

Family of 5 (Kids 20, 17, 13)

2 BR Suite -- $10,100

RT Airfare from Raleigh $ 2,400

Seattle Hotels (1 used Hilton points) $ 800

Private Shore Excusions $ 2,750

Seattle Meals $ 450

Seattle touring(incl Citipass etc) $ 450

Transportation $ 350

Total $ 17,300

Not including pre-cruise purchases or souveneirs

just got back from seattle round trip on ncl pearl with 4 nights in seattle.

Family of 5 (kids 20, 17, 13)

2 br suite -- $10,100

rt airfare from raleigh $ 2,400

seattle hotels (1 used hilton points) $ 800

private shore excusions $ 2,750

seattle meals $ 450

seattle touring(incl citipass etc) $ 450

transportation $ 350

total $ 17,300

not including pre-cruise purchases or souveneirs

yikes!!

yikes!!

I know, but you only live once, and I can tell you with absolute certainty given some personal conditions that I will never get to Alaska ever again.

Second, This was in all likelihood the last family vacation (just entire immediate family) that we will ever have.

If we were going to do it, we were going to do it and spare no expense.

I did shop around and look for the best deals on airfare, hotels and while the cruise fare seems high - it included Unlimited Drinks (alcohol for adults), Unlimited Specialty Dining, Prepaid Service Charges and $300 in OBC - we literally walked off the ship with 0 onboard expense, and in order to get a balcony, a must for me, if we went to 2 staterooms instead of the suite the difference was less than the perks we got.

I know, but you only live once, and I can tell you with absolute certainty given some personal conditions that I will never get to Alaska ever again.

Second, This was in all likelihood the last family vacation (just entire immediate family) that we will ever have.

If we were going to do it, we were going to do it and spare no expense.

I did shop around and look for the best deals on airfare, hotels and while the cruise fare seems high - it included Unlimited Drinks (alcohol for adults), Unlimited Specialty Dining, Prepaid Service Charges and $300 in OBC - we literally walked off the ship with 0 onboard expense, and in order to get a balcony, a must for me, if we went to 2 staterooms instead of the suite the difference was less than the perks we got.

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime, with everlasting family memories. Priceless, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

2 of us cruising on the Pearl in August.

Mid-Ship Balcony, totally free beverage package and prepaid DSC: 3700

Excursions (all booked independant):

Flight: 366

Hotel in Seattle Pre cruise: 367

Flight to San Diego post cruise: 0.00 (sw points)

Hotel in San Diego 2 nights: 377

San Diego Padres/Red Sox Tickets: 112 (go sox!)

Flight San Diego to home: 0.00 (sw points)

I was fortunate to have booked everything right when what I needed opened for booking. flights, hotels, cruise. prices for all have only gone up up up. There are some things that have happened since I booked in March 2015 that made me question if I could afford it. But putting it off a year would cost so much more money, I saw that as cost prohibitive. We are going to make it work. 6 more weeks.