Florence DIY

Ecuador

I'm assuming you are wanting to get there from Livorno? (Note: it would be helpful if you could be a little more specific in your questions...)

It is easy to take the train to Florence from Livorno. What is aggravating is getting from the ship to the train station. You are not allowed to walk in Livorno port unless you are on one of the VERY small ships that dock in the area near the gate -- which is unlikely.

You have three choices, basically:

1) Persuade a taxi to take you to the train station -- ride will cost you about 20 to 25 euro but the taxis can take up to 4; maybe you can find someone to split the ride with you. Be forewarned that the taxis are looking for full day fares to Florence or Tuscany and some will refuse to take you. You have to be early and persistent.

2) Many ships offer a shuttle into downtown Livorno, for a cost. From here, you can take a short local bus ride to the train station (from the same square where the shuttle drops you). You will have to reverse this process on the way back unless you are lucky enough to nab a taxi at the train station.

3) A few cruise lines do offer transportation to the train station. (I think NCL is one.) Check on your cruise line's forum. If not, you are stuck with option 1 or 2.

The afternoon trains from Florence to Livorno are not as frequent as one would like. Be sure you look at the timings carefully and allow enough time to not just get back to Livorno station but to get all the way back to the port.

Edited by cruisemom42

cruisemom42, is the Azamara Journey one of the small ships that would dock in the area near the gate? Or are we talking small like 100 passengers?

I think around 300 pax would be the max. We docked there on Swan Hellenic's Minerva, but I haven't heard of any ships larger than that using this area.

I think around 300 pax would be the max. We docked there on Swan Hellenic's Minerva, but I haven't heard of any ships larger than that using this area.

Thank you. I am pretty sure Azamara will have a shuttle to town, then, and I'll figure out how to get to the train station from there on the bus.

Thank you. I am pretty sure Azamara will have a shuttle to town, then, and I'll figure out how to get to the train station from there on the bus.

Shuttle bus driver can tell you where to catch the bus to the station from the drop point in the city centre.

Check train times on the trenitalia website - and double-check the return times on the day, they do change. A couple of years back the fare was 18 euros return.

Your train is to Firenza SM, the station is right in the centre of Florence.

Everything is walkable ...............except the statue of David, which is on a hill overlooking the city. We walked it, but wouldn't again :eek:

I'm a great fan of Ho-ho's in most cities, but don't waste your money on the Ho-Ho in Florence, the buses aren't allowed in the narrow streets so they circumnavigate.

You should have no problem getting a taxi from the rail station back to the ship, though as per cruisemom's post the fare is 25 euros - many of the taxis hold up to eight, though whether you'll hook up with others back at the station is a matter of luck. Do allow 30 minutes or more for that return taxi ride, you'll likely to be in the evening rush-hour.

We didn't go inside anywhere in Florence, and got an early train back so that we could break the journey at Pisa - your train ticket allows you to break the journey at no extra cost.

BTW, rail staff go on strike in Italy quite often so it's worth checking your date closer in. Often the disputes are settled and advertised strikes don't happen. And don't fear being stranded in Florence - they're not wildcat strikes

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

A couple of tips from earlier posts on this board. From where the ship shuttle drops you off you are in the square with the city hall. Put the city hall at your back and walk one block forward you will come to a main shopping street with H and M very visible. That is key because the bus to the train station #1 stops in front of H & M. Buy your ticket at any of the tobacco shops, if you plan to return by the same route buy a second ticket at this time. Do not worry about where to get off, the train station is the end of the line and everyone gets off together. Do validate your bus ticket on the bus.

Thanks John Bull and wheezedr.

We'll be overnighting in Livorno, so I'm going to head to Florence on day 1 so I don't have to worry about getting back at a specific time.

I could look this up, but any idea of when the sun sets in mid-August? :confused: