Cruise with Cunard for the first time. What sets Cunard apart?

Kingofcool1947

Greetings,

DW and I are considering booking a cruise on Cunard, but wondering, in your opinion, for the premium, what sets Cunard apart from Princess and Celebrity? Is Cunard truly an upscale cruise experience?

We are fairly new to cruising, having cruised only five on Princess, and four on Celebrity We enjoyed the mix of friendly passengers. Although there were a few stuffy, bores with attitudes, showing off to anyone willing to listen, a sense of entitlement. Did I mention, we dislike being around stuffy, borish people? We avoid them when we can. :p

We are in our late 50's. Casual in attitude. What is the demographic of passengers on Cunard? Mostly older?

Is it required to dress formal for evening dinners? Is a tuxedo for men, and long evening gown for women expected? Is a dark business suit for men, dress for women acceptable?

Staterooms? We usually book a balcony.

Main Dining Room? Quality of food? Waiter service?

Self service casual dining? Breakfast, lunch, dinner variety of foods offered?

Extra fee restaurants? Quality of food?

Shipboard Entertainment?

Quality of shore excursions?

What don't/didn't you like about cruising on Cunard?

Thanks for your opinion, good or bad.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We are in our late 50's. Casual in attitude. What is the demographic of passengers on Cunard? Mostly older?

Is it required to dress formal for evening dinners? Is a tuxedo for men, and long evening gown for women expected? Is a dark business suit for men, dress for women acceptable?

Shipboard Entertainment?

We've cruised on Celebrity and Princess 3 times each. Most recently Celebrity Infinity (no Solstice class yet) and Star Princess.

Demographic - yes generally older. Few children, but it varies by itinerary. Not a huge difference. ...and I've found some of the stuffiest people on the least expensive lines.

Dress Code - A primary differentiator. Yes. There IS a dress code that is followed and enforced. (See website for details, but Formal is tux or dark suit and Informal is jacket required. Women can always dress up and down with sparkle and scarves)

Cabins - Standard balcony cabins are equivalent. I happen to like the unique Princess transverse open closet facing the bathroom door design, but not so much some of the size of standard showers. Kudos to Celebrity for bathroom night lights. Cunard has the most drawer space.

QM2 has two distinct categories of balconies. For crossings, especially, we prefer the lower ones cut into the hull. (More stable and closer to the action on 2 & 3 deck) However, if doing a cruise where I would spend time on the balcony, I might choose a higher class upper balcony (built out with glass beneath the railing).

MDR - Big fans of Cunard. On our last Princess cruise, I was served an astonishing serving of prime rib (my default can't-go-wrong cruise main course). I say astonishing because it looked beautiful. Perfectly medium-rare. Nicely marbled. Yet, it had no flavor. Whatsoever. On Celebrity, I often found that the menu looked more exciting or gourmet. Yet, at practically every dinner, at our table of four, there was at least one item that was not what the menu promised, or an ingredient was totally missing. On our recent crossing - the menu may seem more old fashioned, but everything promised is delivered. And beautifully prepared.

Service. Because our last Princess cruise was so brief, I cannot comment. However, on our Celebrity Infinity cruise, many of the staff were obviously overstressed and unable to provide the expected service. (Especially the Infinity sommelier) The service - and not just in the MDR, but throughout the bars and cabin service- was exemplary on our last crossing. (By the way, we were in the lowest hull balcony category on Cunard - "lower" than recent Celebrity & Princess cruises) There also seems to be an extra level of training and "polish" to Cunard staff.

Buffet. I think Princess continues to lead in this area. Celebrity has historically been the most limited in service hours and continues to be so. Our experience with the current Cunard fleet is limited to the QM2 - and because of structural considerations, the original design of the buffet was troublesome. For passengers, certainly the most significant aspect of the "remastering" was taking another shot at this space. By all reports, they've done it! As far as the quality of offerings between the three, I'd rate them as equivalent.

One great reason that we were able to comfortably avoid the dreaded (pre-refit) Kings Court is that Cunard takes breakfast and lunch seriously in the Britannia Dining Room. Whereas, it seems both Celebrity and Princess limit or discourage MDR dining, especially on port days.

A huge asset to Cunard is the excellent menu offered at lunch in the Golden Lion Pub. As of a month ago, I can give first or second hand (my husband) kudos to their: Fish & Chips, Cottage Pie, Chicken Tikka Masala, and Cumberland sausage.

Not able to provide current opinion on extra fee restaurants other than to note that, like Princess (I think), they offer alternative dining in converted buffet sections for a small surcharge.

Shipboard Entertainment. It depends upon what you're talking about.

Cunard wins hands-down in the amount of live entertainment provided in their public rooms throughout the day. The production shows use a live orchestra, there are live pianists or musicians in the lounges, a live dance band for the balls, and harpist for afternoon tea.

On our Celebrity Infinity cruise, there was a very chill DJ who controlled the main atrium. Such a concept is foreign to Cunard. (and would somehow clash with the bright brass and marble in a Princess atrium)

As for the onboard production shows... Princess wins hands-down. Celebrity was never a leader here, and has recently started doing them in-house. Cunard. Well.... I really appreciate that they use a live orchestra.

(No useful opinions on shorex)

Ultimately - the actual product between the three lines is more similar than different. However, the experience and each line's personality is unique.

We love Cunard.

Edited by MarkBearSF

We've cruised on Celebrity and Princess 3 times each. Most recently Celebrity Infinity (no Solstice class yet) and Star Princess.

Demographic - yes generally older. Few children, but it varies by itinerary. Not a huge difference. ...and I've found some of the stuffiest people on the least expensive lines.

Dress Code - A primary differentiator. Yes. There IS a dress code that is followed and enforced. (See website for details, but Formal is tux or dark suit and Informal is jacket required. Women can always dress up and down with sparkle and scarves)

Cabins - Standard balcony cabins are equivalent. I happen to like the unique Princess transverse open closet facing the bathroom door design, but not so much some of the size of standard showers. Kudos to Celebrity for bathroom night lights. Cunard has the most drawer space.

QM2 has two distinct categories of balconies. For crossings, especially, we prefer the lower ones cut into the hull. (More stable and closer to the action on 2 & 3 deck) However, if doing a cruise where I would spend time on the balcony, I might choose a higher class upper balcony (built out with glass beneath the railing).

MDR - Big fans of Cunard. On our last Princess cruise, I was served an astonishing serving of prime rib (my default can't-go-wrong cruise main course). I say astonishing because it looked beautiful. Perfectly medium-rare. Nicely marbled. Yet, it had no flavor. Whatsoever. On Celebrity, I often found that the menu looked more exciting or gourmet. Yet, at practically every dinner, at our table of four, there was at least one item that was not what the menu promised, or an ingredient was totally missing. On our recent crossing - the menu may seem more old fashioned, but everything promised is delivered. And beautifully prepared.

Service. Because our last Princess cruise was so brief, I cannot comment. However, on our Celebrity Infinity cruise, many of the staff were obviously overstressed and unable to provide the expected service. (Especially the Infinity sommelier) The service - and not just in the MDR, but throughout the bars and cabin service- was exemplary on our last crossing. (By the way, we were in the lowest hull balcony category on Cunard - "lower" than recent Celebrity & Princess cruises) There also seems to be an extra level of training and "polish" to Cunard staff.

Buffet. I think Princess continues to lead in this area. Celebrity has historically been the most limited in service hours and continues to be so. Our experience with the current Cunard fleet is limited to the QM2 - and because of structural considerations, the original design of the buffet was troublesome. For passengers, certainly the most significant aspect of the "remastering" was taking another shot at this space. By all reports, they've done it! As far as the quality of offerings between the three, I'd rate them as equivalent.

One great reason that we were able to comfortably avoid the dreaded (pre-refit) Kings Court is that Cunard takes breakfast and lunch seriously in the Britannia Dining Room. Whereas, it seems both Celebrity and Princess limit or discourage MDR dining, especially on port days.

A huge asset to Cunard is the excellent menu offered at lunch in the Golden Lion Pub. As of a month ago, I can give first or second hand (my husband) kudos to their: Fish & Chips, Cottage Pie, Chicken Tikka Masala, and Cumberland sausage.

Not able to provide current opinion on extra fee restaurants other than to note that, like Princess (I think), they offer alternative dining in converted buffet sections for a small surcharge.

Cunard wins hands-down in the amount of live entertainment provided in their public rooms throughout the day. The production shows use a live orchestra, there are live pianists or musicians in the lounges, a live dance band for the balls, and harpist for afternoon tea.

On our Celebrity Infinity cruise, there was a very chill DJ who controlled the main atrium. Such a concept is foreign to Cunard. (and would somehow clash with the bright brass and marble in a Princess atrium)

As for the onboard production shows... Princess wins hands-down. Celebrity was never a leader here, and has recently started doing them in-house. Cunard. Well.... I really appreciate that they use a live orchestra.

Ultimately - the actual product between the three lines is more similar than different. However, the experience and each line's personality is unique.

We love Cunard.

What a great post! So informative :) . Thank you so much for taking the time to write it.

Sincere best wishes and happy sailings.

We love Cunard.

Thank you for an excellent report on your Cunard experience. Very helpful for us to make a decision to book Cunard. We are interested in several of the cruises sailing from,or returning to, San Francisco, California. We are both retired so date and duration of our cruise would not be an issue for us. Max would be a 30 day cruise.

One other question. We are excerise addicts. Do Cunard cruises on sea days, offer a morning stretch/excercise program, and also Zumba?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

There's a daily stretching class at 07:30 that's free, it was in the gym on the QV and the Queens Room on QM2. These are free and are fairly well attended. There are various other classes that cost, Pilates for example. I don't know about Zimbabwe.

I can only compare between Cunard and Princess and if you are dining in the Britannia restaurant then for me the only difference is the formality of the dress code on Cunard. Tuxedo/dark suit on formal and even on casual nights a jacket is required but no tie. Princess its anybody's guess on formal nights you might get some in dinner suits, some in suits and even some in t-shirts. Food is comparative, drinks on a par, entertainment better on Princess but that's my opinion and entertainment is obviously personal choice. The only other thing I can think of is cost of shuttle buses Princess charge for shuttle buses usually at $16pp return trip and if you book a Cunard Fare these are free when needed and payable on all other fares. The final thought is afternoon tea in Queens Room is unbeatable on any cruise ship a fantastic experience.

Thanks to all who chimed in.

I just had a chance to read the most recent CC reviews of Cunard. I'm very surprised at the overall low score of 68% for a premium cruise line experience compared to mainstream Princess and Celebrity.

Also, DW and I are most concerned that Cunard demographics seem to cater to a majority of older clientele, 70+, as we much prefer a younger mix of pax found on Princess and Celebrity. I read Cunard pax are already tucked into bed by 9 p.m. :eek: must be dead ship after dinner time, as we enjoy the late evening activities and entertainment on Princess and Celebrity.? Even at home we rarely retire for bed by 9 p.m. :p

I think DW and I will pass on Cunard. Maybe look at Azamara or Oceana?

Thanks for all your comments.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We are in our 40s and can confirm that the Cunard demographics are tending to the older side.

However - particularly on TA Crossings, you find a variety of old but very openminded people that are a pure joy to speak with.

You'd be surprised how many people are not in their staterooms after 9:00 - must be the sea air :D

Edited by Yoshikitty

We're mid 50s and initially I was concerned at the age demographic on board until we started chatting to really lovely interesting people. There was a mix of ages on our cruise. And there are some dreary, boring 30 year olds....

I just had a chance to read the most recent CC reviews of Cunard. I'm very surprised at the overall low score of 68% for a premium cruise line experience compared to mainstream Princess and Celebrity.

Also, DW and I are most concerned that Cunard demographics seem to cater to a majority of older clientele, 70+, as we much prefer a younger mix of pax found on Princess and Celebrity. I read Cunard pax are already tucked into bed by 9 p.m. :eek: must be dead ship after dinner time, as we enjoy the late evening activities and entertainment on Princess and Celebrity.? Even at home we rarely retire for bed by 9 p.m. :p

I am not sure that the CC ratings are a very accurate depiction of true feelings as 1. CC is a comparatively small sampling of actual worldwide cruise pax and 2. reviews often have a negative bias in that unhappy people are generally more inclined to shout it to the world than people who are pleased with their experience.

As far as pax age, I will confirm [at least on my sole QM2 experience] that it skews older. I was 32 at the time of our crossing last year and I believe I was one of, if not THE, youngest pax on board save for 1 or 2 children whom I believe belonged to one of the officers. There were only a handful of other pax in their 30s and even DH who was 47 at the time was among the younger crowd. That said, don't view this as a negative. We found the most interesting and well-traveled pax on this crossing than we have on any our our cruises. There were so many people with a lot of travel [and life] experience who could really hold a wonderful conversation at dinner, in the lounges, out on deck, etc. I can also state with confidence that the ship did NOT shut down at 9pm...the main seating of dinner does not even start until 8.30! Many nights there were people in the Queens Room dancing until midnight...whilst the ages skewed older they were definitely an active set. Whilst certainly not [iMO for the better!] the Carnival or NCL crowd, it was hardly the floating nursing home that some imply. We've never sailed with Oceania or Azamara, but another thing to consider is that the higher end lines will ALL skew older. It is a generalization and of course there are exceptions but often getting older means more money and more time off from work. This translates into higher end lines and longer, more unique voyages.

Other tid-bits of info:

Afternoon tea on Cunard cannot be beat. Leaps and bounds above other lines we've sailed. Princess was the next best and they come close but they don't have the atmosphere of the Queens Room. The other lines can't even be compared!

Food is very subjective but we were pleased with Cunard. Their cottage pie [shepherd's pie] was outstanding. MDR was traditional continental cuisine and very good [although at risk of being flamed I will say we thought Princess to be a bit better...of course that was the maiden season of Regal Princess so it could be skewed].

As a fan of classical music, opera, and theatre I appreciated that Cunard has people playing real instruments in their public spaces. Harpist in the lobby, stringed quartets at tea, etc. provided a lovely atmosphere. Production shows on Cunard were well done but Princess has the edge there. {We've never sailed with Celebrity}

Both Princess and Cunard have beautiful ships. However, if the voyage you are considering is on QM2, there is no ship anywhere like her. She is the last true ocean liner and her sense of grandeur cannot be duplicated. She is so different from the "cookie-cutter" ships that seem all the same other than a change in decor...she really is unique.

Edited by Bostonjetset

I am not sure that the CC ratings are a very accurate depiction of true feelings as 1. CC is a comparatively small sampling of actual worldwide cruise pax and 2. reviews often have a negative bias in that unhappy people are generally more inclined to shout it to the world than people who are pleased with their experience.

As far as pax age, I will confirm [at least on my sole QM2 experience] that it skews older. I was 32 at the time of our crossing last year and I believe I was one of, if not THE, youngest pax on board save for 1 or 2 children whom I believe belonged to one of the officers. There were only a handful of other pax in their 30s and even DH who was 47 at the time was among the younger crowd. That said, don't view this as a negative. We found the most interesting and well-traveled pax on this crossing than we have on any our our cruises. There were so many people with a lot of travel [and life] experience who could really hold a wonderful conversation at dinner, in the lounges, out on deck, etc. I can also state with confidence that the ship did NOT shut down at 9pm...the main seating of dinner does not even start until 8.30! Many nights there were people in the Queens Room dancing until midnight...whilst the ages skewed older they were definitely an active set. Whilst certainly not [iMO for the better!] the Carnival or NCL crowd, it was hardly the floating nursing home that some imply. We've never sailed with Oceania or Azamara, but another thing to consider is that the higher end lines will ALL skew older. It is a generalization and of course there are exceptions but often getting older means more money and more time off from work. This translates into higher end lines and longer, more unique voyages.

Other tid-bits of info:

Afternoon tea on Cunard cannot be beat. Leaps and bounds above other lines we've sailed. Princess was the next best and they come close but they don't have the atmosphere of the Queens Room. The other lines can't even be compared!

Food is very subjective but we were pleased with Cunard. Their cottage pie [shepherd's pie] was outstanding. MDR was traditional continental cuisine and very good [although at risk of being flamed I will say we thought Princess to be a bit better...of course that was the maiden season of Regal Princess so it could be skewed].

As a fan of classical music, opera, and theatre I appreciated that Cunard has people playing real instruments in their public spaces. Harpist in the lobby, stringed quartets at tea, etc. provided a lovely atmosphere. Production shows on Cunard were well done but Princess has the edge there. {We've never sailed with Celebrity}

Both Princess and Cunard have beautiful ships. However, if the voyage you are considering is on QM2, there is no ship anywhere like her. She is the last true ocean liner and her sense of grandeur cannot be duplicated. She is so different from the "cookie-cutter" ships that seem all the same other than a change in decor...she really is unique.

Very well said! I couldn't agree with you more.

I am sorry you feel this way. I cruised QM2 when I was 45 and had a lovely time. There was quite an array of ages on board for the crossing. They certainly aren't rolling up the decks at 9 pm. there is dancing in the Queen's Room and then afterwards in the disco. Also bear in mind that more people will review a negative experience than those who have had positive experiences. Always read those reviews with a bit of skepticism.

I went on the QM2 crossing last December. It was the best cruise I have ever been on (technically it's a crossing - not a cruise).

The demographics are older. Having said that, most passengers are well traveled and very engaging. The ship has a very active social scene which is one of the elements I enjoyed the most.

I joined a CC roll call and had instant friends. I'd recommend joining one for your voyage.

The QM2 is the greatest (and only) ocean liner in the world. I would highly recommend trying it out. I've never been on the Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth. These would be more comparable to cruise ships as they share the same hull with Carnival's Spirit class ship as well as Holland America.

Finally, Cunard and Princess are both Carnival companies. They serve different markets but are not really completing with each other.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

But surely ships are always quiet at 9pm, around half the pax will be dining on second sitting, and a lot of the first sitting will be in the show.

We have always found the busy time was between 7.30 and 8.30 when many second sitting pax are having a pre dinner drink, and first sitting are leaving the restaurant.

For those without fixed dining times, 7pm to 8pm seems popular, and as a leisurely enjoyable meal can take one and a half to two hours, they will also be missing at 9pm.

Me, I'm 76 and often up till midnight!

I believe the reviews mentioning the ship's demographic and shutting down at 9 were written about world cruises which I guess have an older demographic than usual as these are the people with the time and money to do a world cruise. I was reading some reviews myself yesterday and was surprised by the low percentages that were given. Many of the reviews said how much the reviewer liked this and that but one tiny thing was negative and as a result they gave their cruise a low star rating. I read reviews, look at what the poster is moaning about and decide if it would matter to me. Most of the time the answer is no.

We are mid 50's and have always cruised Cunard. We love it. We are always up until midnight dancing in the Queens Room. Then we might go to bed or to the Commodore Club or even the Lido, but there is always plenty of people around. We do find it can vary with the type of cruise (nit done a crossing yet). Shorter or summer cruises tend to be younger than longer or winter cruises. We have done both and always had a wonderful time and met lovely people.

Edited by Camgirl

Hello

I have been on countless Cunard voyages, 20 on the Queen Mary alone, most of them transatlantic crossings during the Summer. I have two crossings booked for this Summer. I sail in Britannia cabins usually in hull cabins on deck five.

During the Summer months the range of ages on board is wide from little babies to passengers in their late 80's. I would agree that it does skew older but there are tons of younger passengers. During the Summer there are a lot of children and teenagers on board. I think they bring additional life to the ship and are very well behaved. I love it that the kids really seem to have a great time and are well looked after by the staff. And this was a real treat: One day out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean while strolling on the wide promenade deck of the Queen Mary, I discover a beautiful lady bug!!!

I have yet to sail on the Queen Mary when the ship became dead after 9 or 10 PM. There are a tremendous number of passengers up and about. Whoever says the ship goes to sleep early is dead wrong. (And I hate to tell anyone that they are wrong!)

One thing I really love about Cunard are all the musicians they employ and who play about the ship. I have observed that most cruise lines have greatly cut back on musicians to save money. Not Cunard. I believe Cunard is the only line that has a night club band. All the other lines rely on disc jockeys. DO YOU KNOW HOW NICE IT IS TO GO TO A ROOM AND HEAR REAL MUSIC PLAYED BY REAL LIVE MUSICIANS INSTEAD OF CANNED MUSIC? ITS MAGICAL!!

Tea in the Queens room is delightful as everyone says. One added bonus are the tea dances with the queens Room orchestra and vocalist that are scheduled at least once a crossing. How many other cruise lines have tea dances? None that I know of. Few ships even have ballrooms!

Another great feature of Cunard line ships, most especially the Queen Mary 2 are the marvelous promenade decks lined with deck chairs. I love sitting in my deck chair under a lifeboat reading and watching passengers walking and jogging by. And of course, gazing out at the beautiful ocean. (Unless there is fog!)

Another thing you will notice are the port lectures. Most crusie lines just want to sell their own excursions. On cunard line I have found the lecturers also point out how passengers can do and explore places on their own if they so desire. How many cruise lines do that?

If you are a solo passenger as am I, you will find a large number of singles on the crossing or cruise. Unless you sit in your cabin all day or are unfriendly and distant you will make a lot of new friends and have an excellent time. You may evern have a shipboard romance!!! One thing you will notice is that your fellow passengers are from all over the world.

A note about the alleged snobbery on Cunard Line ships. There are snobs everywhere you turn in life. I can tell you with great confidence that 99% pf passengers are friendly and and fun to hang out with.

I could go on but it is time for me to retun to my bed chamber and dream of sailing on the lovely queen Mary 2 with her fantastic crew.

A point about the reviews you read on CC. As others have said, you have to take them with a grain of salt. This is what I recommend: Book your Cunard LIne voyage today and have a wonderful time. And I do hope we get to meet!

Deck Chair.

Edited by deck chair

Hello, I have been on countless Cunard voyages, 20 on the Queen Mary alone, most of them transatlantic crossings during the Summer. I have two crossings booked for this Summer. I sail in Britannia cabins usually in hull cabins on deck five.

During the Summer months the range of ages on board is wide from little babies to passengers in their late 80's. I would agree that it does skew older but there are tons of younger passengers. During the Summer there are a lot of children and teenagers on board. I think they bring additional life to the ship and are very well behaved. I love it that the kids really seem to have a great time and are well looked after by the staff. And this was a real treat: One day out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean while strolling on the wide promenade deck of the Queen Mary, I discover a beautiful lady bug!!!

I have yet to sail on the Queen Mary when the ship became dead after 9 or 10 PM. There are a tremendous number of passengers up and about. Whoever says the ship goes to sleep early is dead wrong. (And I hate to tell anyone that they are wrong!)

One thing I really love about Cunard are all the musicians they employ and who play about the ship. I have observed that most cruise lines have greatly cut back on musicians to save money. Not Cunard. I believe Cunard is the only line that has a night club band. All the other lines rely on disc jockeys. DO YOU KNOW HOW NICE IT IS TO GO TO A ROOM AND HEAR REAL MUSIC PLAYED BY REAL LIVE MUSICIANS INSTEAD OF CANNED MUSIC? ITS MAGICAL!!

Tea in the Queens room is delightful as everyone says. One added bonus are the tea dances with the queens Room orchestra and vocalist that are scheduled at least once a crossing. How many other cruise lines have tea dances? None that I know of. Few ships even have ballrooms!

Another great feature of Cunard line ships, most especially the Queen Mary 2 are the marvelous promenade decks lined with deck chairs. I love sitting in my deck chair under a lifeboat reading and watching passengers walking and jogging by. And of course, gazing out at the beautiful ocean. (Unless there is fog!)

Another thing you will notice are the port lectures. Most crusie lines just want to sell their own excursions. On cunard line I have found the lecturers also point out how passengers can do and explore places on their own if they so desire. How many cruise lines do that?

If you are a solo passenger as am I, you will find a large number of singles on the crossing or cruise. Unless you sit in your cabin all day or are unfriendly and distant you will make a lot of new friends and have an excellent time. You may evern have a shipboard romance!!! One thing you will notice is that your fellow passengers are from all over the world.

A note about the alleged snobbery on Cunard Line ships. There are snobs everywhere you turn in life. I can tell you with great confidence that 99% pf passengers are friendly and and fun to hang out with.

I could go on but it is time for me to retun to my bed chamber and dream of sailing on the lovely queen Mary 2 with her fantastic crew.

A point about the reviews you read on CC. As others have said, you have to take them with a grain of salt. This is what I recommend: Book your Cunard LIne voyage today and have a wonderful time. And I do hope we get to meet! Deck Chair.

Wonderful, simply wonderful, Deck Chair :) Thank you.

Here's to your next twenty voyages on Queen Mary 2 :) , cheers!

Edited by pepperrn

What with half the ship just wrapping up their dinner from the 8:30 sitting, I reckon the reviewers who say the ship is dead by 10 are just trolls who have never sampled Cunard.

Greetings,

DW and I are considering booking a cruise on Cunard, but wondering, in your opinion, for the premium, what sets Cunard apart from Princess and Celebrity? Is Cunard truly an upscale cruise experience?

We are fairly new to cruising, having cruised only five on Princess, and four on Celebrity We enjoyed the mix of friendly passengers. Although there were a few stuffy, bores with attitudes, showing off to anyone willing to listen, a sense of entitlement. Did I mention, we dislike being around stuffy, borish people? We avoid them when we can. :p

Shipboard Entertainment?

What don't/didn't you like about cruising on Cunard?

Thanks for your opinion, good or bad.

I'll give it a go. We've done several on Cunard(all but 1 on QM2)Did 2 in the Grills(no comparison on Celebrity or Princess to the Grills. For Celebrity 2 on the Eclipse(3rd this Jan.)Last Feb. did a 14 day B2B on the Regal. So here goes...

1)Staterooms: On Cunard(QM2 for easy choice) I suggest a "sheltered balcony" a little larger in size & close to the main action of the ship. If you can do the Grills I'd say go with it! Room size & food is outstanding. Suites are similar on the Eclipse, though Luminai still has a lot of issues. Princess suites are very nice, but not a lot of amenities for a stateroom as big & pricey as those on Cunard/Celebrity. "Standard" rooms on all 3 lines similar in size, but here's what separates them. Cunard(very comfy beds)Decent bathrooms. Good overall storage. Princess(Regal) again comfy beds. Liked the closet outside bathroom. Bathroom fairly small. Hand held shower nozzle(same on QM2)Terrible towels(worst I've seen!!)Small & very rough to the touch. Cunard/Celebrity have much better towels. Celebrity: POOR drawer space. OK closet space, decent beds(lacks a bit here) Bathrooms..by far the best on Celebrity(Solstice class)Nice enclosed shower & ample storage in the bathroom.

2)Dining rooms: Celebrity/Cunard real "wow" factor. Spacious well decorated etc. Princess, rather boring only 1 level restaurants unlike the multi floor on Cunard/Celebrity.

Food..All were quite good. Celebrity Eclipse has edged out Cunard in food quality(again Solstice class ships)Queens Grill/Princess Grills, the exception. Just impeccable quality & service there. Found the staff on Princess willing to try & please any way they can. Their super attitude is one reason we'd try them again. Much more European staff on Celebrity. Similar to the staff in the Cunard Grills. Very professional overall. Just found the staff on the Regal a little more "friendly". Professionalism is tops on all 3 lines. Food on the Regal was good. Exception: Steaks were of a "select" brand,rather than "choice". Seafood was better on Princess than both Cunard/Celebrity(exception the Grills) Steaks are similar on Cunard/Celebrity.

3)Buffets: QM2 had terrible buffet in Kings Court. Food ok, just terrible flow. Princess had best food of any buffet. Real variety. A reason to skip the MDR once in a while. Celebrity good food, but not enough variety in the buffet.

4) Specialty Rest. Hands down Celebrity. Murano was like the Queens Grill. Todd English was good, but hear Veranda is much better. Qsine on the Solstice class ships are like Tappas style but some real wow foods. Highly recommend them.Princess had better ambience in Crown Grill & Sabatini's, but with the exception of seafood, you were just as good dining in the MDR & avoiding the upcharge.

5)Entertainment: Cunard wins here. Better & larger bands. Just more overall musicians & it shows in their productions.The Eclipse had great entertainment, but have heard it really went down hill. Princess has surprisingly small theater on it's "flag ship" Shows were smaller numbers. Good to excellent singers/musicians, just less of them.

6)Shore excursions: All had decent excursions. Princess has their own island in the Bahamas for a shore day. Quite nice. Cunard/Celebrity seem to have more high end excursions than Princess. Things like resort beach days that sort of thing. No line really disappoints here. As a whole you'll find quite a few similarities. Cunard does enforce a stricter formal dress code(a reason a lot of us love Cunard)They bring back the fun of Ocean liner travel(minus ice burgs!)

Really nothing we didn't like about Cunard, except they don't do as many Caribbean trips any more. I'm in the catering industry, so vacation is generally limited to Jan-Feb.The Eclipse, we found came the closest to the QM2 in overall refinement. Ships can vary a LOT in a cruiselines' own fleet. A tux is NOT necessary on Cunard, but a good suit is!

Edited by keithm
PUNCTUATION

I'll give it a go. We've done several on Cunard(all but 1 on QM2)Did 2 in the Grills(no comparison on Celebrity or Princess to the Grills. For Celebrity 2 on the Eclipse(3rd this Jan.)Last Feb. did a 14 day B2B on the Regal. So here goes...

1)Staterooms: On Cunard(QM2 for easy choice) I suggest a "sheltered balcony" a little larger in size & close to the main action of the ship. If you can do the Grills I'd say go with it! Room size & food is outstanding. Suites are similar on the Eclipse, though Luminai still has a lot of issues. Princess suites are very nice, but not a lot of amenities for a stateroom as big & pricey as those on Cunard/Celebrity. "Standard" rooms on all 3 lines similar in size, but here's what separates them. Cunard(very comfy beds)Decent bathrooms. Good overall storage. Princess(Regal) again comfy beds. Liked the closet outside bathroom. Bathroom fairly small. Hand held shower nozzle(same on QM2)Terrible towels(worst I've seen!!)Small & very rough to the touch. Cunard/Celebrity have much better towels. Celebrity: POOR drawer space. OK closet space, decent beds(lacks a bit here) Bathrooms..by far the best on Celebrity(Solstice class)Nice enclosed shower & ample storage in the bathroom.

2)Dining rooms: Celebrity/Cunard real "wow" factor. Spacious well decorated etc. Princess, rather boring only 1 level restaurants unlike the multi floor on Cunard/Celebrity.

Food..All were quite good. Celebrity Eclipse has edged out Cunard in food quality(again Solstice class ships)Queens Grill/Princess Grills, the exception. Just impeccable quality & service there. Found the staff on Princess willing to try & please any way they can. Their super attitude is one reason we'd try them again. Much more European staff on Celebrity. Similar to the staff in the Cunard Grills. Very professional overall. Just found the staff on the Regal a little more "friendly". Professionalism is tops on all 3 lines. Food on the Regal was good. Exception: Steaks were of a "select" brand,rather than "choice". Seafood was better on Princess than both Cunard/Celebrity(exception the Grills) Steaks are similar on Cunard/Celebrity.

3)Buffets: QM2 had terrible buffet in Kings Court. Food ok, just terrible flow. Princess had best food of any buffet. Real variety. A reason to skip the MDR once in a while. Celebrity good food, but not enough variety in the buffet.

4) Specialty Rest. Hands down Celebrity. Murano was like the Queens Grill. Todd English was good, but hear Veranda is much better. Qsine on the Solstice class ships are like Tappas style but some real wow foods. Highly recommend them.Princess had better ambience in Crown Grill & Sabatini's, but with the exception of seafood, you were just as good dining in the MDR & avoiding the upcharge.

5)Entertainment: Cunard wins here. Better & larger bands. Just more overall musicians & it shows in their productions.The Eclipse had great entertainment, but have heard it really went down hill. Princess has surprisingly small theater on it's "flag ship" Shows were smaller numbers. Good to excellent singers/musicians, just less of them.

6)Shore excursions: All had decent excursions. Princess has their own island in the Bahamas for a shore day. Quite nice. Cunard/Celebrity seem to have more high end excursions than Princess. Things like resort beach days that sort of thing. No line really disappoints here. As a whole you'll find quite a few similarities. Cunard does enforce a stricter formal dress code(a reason a lot of us love Cunard)They bring back the fun of Ocean liner travel(minus ice burgs!)

Really nothing we didn't like about Cunard, except they don't do as many Caribbean trips any more. I'm in the catering industry, so vacation is generally limited to Jan-Feb.The Eclipse, we found came the closest to the QM2 in overall refinement. Ships can vary a LOT in a cruiselines' own fleet. A tux is NOT necessary on Cunard, but a good suit is!

Thank you for your fair and honest comparison.

Is the Grils a seperate class of cabins with their own exclusive dining room? Or is Grills an up charge specialty restaurant.? Sorry I didn't quite understand. :confused:

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Is the Grils a seperate class of cabins with their own exclusive dining room? Or is Grills an up charge specialty restaurant.? Sorry I didn't quite understand. :confused:

A separate class of cabins with their own dining rooms, one for Queens Grill and the other for Princess Grill.

A separate class of cabins with their own dining rooms, one for Queens Grill and the other for Princess Grill.

All Grills cabins are nominally suites, and all suites are Grills class.

IME standard grade cabins on Princess lack a loveseat (need a mini suite on Princess for a place to sit other than on the bed or the single desk chair). I've only cruised on Princess once but I've looked at cabin configurations for several ships. All Cunard cabins (except interior cabins, I think) have a loveseat and a small table.

The Grills are the suite level on Cunard. Most lines have them. Cunard pairs them with their own rest. Princess Grill & queens Grill. As with all lines, you get the best service & food on the ship. It's NOT like the Titanic. You're not banned from the other areas of the ship. Just a small lounge & small sundeck is reserved for the Grills pax.