Binoculars for Dummies

snoopy5386

Looking to buy a pair of binoculars for myself and another set for my young kids for our upcoming cruise. Would prefer a compact pair and not looking to spend much. The selection on Amazon is dizzying. What magnification is good for a cruise? Any recommendations or help is appreciated.

I'm leaving soon for our first Alaska cruise next week and bought 2 pair of binoculars. Others posted 10X42 is a good start for most.

I bought a cheaper pair of Barska ($29.99) for my son an a pair of Celestron Outland X ($73) online. Both are 10X42.

The Celestron are waterproof and fog proof with 10X magnification. Just out of the box I was impressed with the quality for the low price. I'm confident they'll be fine for the trip. I couldn't see spending too much for something I so seldom use.

I own a pair of 10x50 binoculars that I am taking on our cruise in August. This page should answer any questions about the different terminology you will find as you compare different brands and sizes.

https://alpenoptics.com/FAQs.html

I hope this helps a little. The terminology for binoculars can be very confusing and frustrating, and nobody wants to make a purchase and then find out you didn't get what you thought you paid for.

I hope the wildlife "cooperates"' for all of us while we are in "their neighborhoods"! I can't wait to see it in all in person. The photos are spectacular. It must be breathtaking in person.

I happen to be married to a birder, and virtually every issue of a birding magazine has a binocular review. Bird Watchers Digest has a nice section on binoculars, including recommendations on binoculars for kids, on their website. Look at the "Optics and Gear" tab on their website: http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com

Just a further comment regarding binoculars -- the OP mentioned Amazon, and I firmly believe that binoculars should be held before making the decision to purchase. It is important to spend some time in a store and just hold them in your hands. My husband has an expensive pair of Zeiss binoculars which he dearly loves. I am a short, small framed woman, and when I hold those Zeiss binoculars I am struck at how heavy they are. Not only are they heavy to wear around the neck, they are too big for my small hands. I have a pair of Nikon binoculars which are lightweight and fit my hands so much better.

Just a further comment regarding binoculars -- the OP mentioned Amazon, and I firmly believe that binoculars should be held before making the decision to purchase. It is important to spend some time in a store and just hold them in your hands. My husband has an expensive pair of Zeiss binoculars which he dearly loves. I am a short, small framed woman, and when I hold those Zeiss binoculars I am struck at how heavy they are. Not only are they heavy to wear around the neck, they are too big for my small hands. I have a pair of Nikon binoculars which are lightweight and fit my hands so much better.

A few years ago I bought a very fine pair of Pentax binoculars. My wife said no thanks, too big for her small hands. She bought an off brand from the local outdoor store. [We have many wildlife and bird viewing opportunities from our living room and porch, the binocs are frequently used.] Occasionally she would pick up my binocs. Recently she commented that she wanted a pair like mine for our upcoming Alaska trip. Done, bought, delivered. Happy wife. I would have sworn that she would never move from 8x to 10x and from the pair she had bought to a twin of the pair I bought. Preferences do change...

To the OP, if what you purchase does not have a locking diopter adjustment ring on the right eyepiece, look for something else. The binocs need to be set up for YOUR eyes, and the setting needs to be preserved.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately binoculars are one of those things where you only get what you are willing to pay for. I was at a B&B in Valdez at breakfast and could see a Coast Guard boat a couple miles across the harbor so grabbed my pair and started watching. I could see the crew moving around on the deck. The hostess noticed and handed me her pair of ex-military Ziess and said "try these." OMG :eek: I could see not only the crew but their rank insignia. Of course they were probably $500 binoculars but probably worth it for the difference.

I looked into many pairs before I went to Alaska.

I decided on the 10X42 which are great for nature.

I was looking at Nikon but decided on the Carson 10X42 3D for $265 on Amazon.

They are a very good pair. You can contact the company and they will send you lens caps if you don't want to use the case that comes with them.

After spending thousands on the cruise another $250 isn't too much.

Unfortunately binoculars are one of those things where you only get what you are willing to pay for. I was at a B&B in Valdez at breakfast and could see a Coast Guard boat a couple miles across the harbor so grabbed my pair and started watching. I could see the crew moving around on the deck. The hostess noticed and handed me her pair of ex-military Ziess and said "try these." OMG :eek: I could see not only the crew but their rank insignia. Of course they were probably $500 binoculars but probably worth it for the difference.

$500 for a pair of binoculars is not a lot of money. I just bought a pair of Vortex for almost $600 which are pretty good. I looked at the >$1000 and the >$2000 binoculars and they difference was amazing and they were well worth the money but my wife would have killed me. I find that isn general buying cheap optics is a total waste of money.

DON

We have binoculars for every one in the family (4 pairs total lol). For casual users like us, we found the zen-ray VISTA binoculars quite amazing for the money. We got a pair of 8x and 10x so we can use 8x on the boat and 10x while on a land tour

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/vista.html

Our selection criteria for binos are: 42mm full size binoculars, waterproof, BAK4 prism, fully multi coated optics. No more than $200 for our budget.

Have fun cruising Alaska

Has anyone here used monocular?

Hunters and birders frequently use a monocular because its good if your eyes are unequal in focusing. Also lighter and easier to carry.

Any thoughts? Looking at Alpen's 10X

I tried monoulars once and did not like them. Can the Alpens be returned if you do not like them.

DON

Has anyone here used monocular?

Hunters and birders frequently use a monocular because its good if your eyes are unequal in focusing. Also lighter and easier to carry.

Any thoughts? Looking at Alpen's 10X

I tried the Carson 10 X 25.... Next to useless. I love the Carson 10 X 42 3D binoculars

Do NOT go on a cruise to Alaska without a good pair of binoculars.

The optics on the monocular just don't compare.

we have a pair of fujinon10x50 from our boating days....great pair but oh so heavy.....any thoughts on which ones would do the job without the size and the weight.....these days with weight precautions on the planes.....well....

I want a good, reasonably price pair of compact, lightweight binoculars. I realize that heavier bigger are better but not for me.

Trying to decide between Steiner Safari Ultrasharp 8 x 22 or 10 x 26. Any thoughts on either of these?

I want a good, reasonably price pair of compact, lightweight binoculars. I realize that heavier bigger are better but not for me.

Trying to decide between Steiner Safari Ultrasharp 8 x 22 or 10 x 26. Any thoughts on either of these?

I'm a bit of a glass snob when it comes to binoculars, scopes and camera lenses. Wife wanted a pair for our Alaska trip, so when I handed her my awesome Leupold 10x42 and she felt the weight, she said "get something smaller". I agree, after all, if you're not going to carry it, it's not worth having. I have a long lens on my camera when on vacation, so I rarely use binoculars.

Anyway, I ended up buying a $40 vivitar 8x26 from BH photo. They don't hassle you with returns so I figured what the heck. I frankly was shocked how nice these are and they weigh hardly anything. They survived our two week trip to AK in a backpack without a hitch.

You'll be happy with those Steiners, either one. On a boat, I don't really like 10x, shrug. Just a preference.

Edited by MalRC

You'll be happy with those Steiners, either one. On a boat, I don't really like 10x, shrug. Just a preference.

Thanks for the info on your wife's binoculars. Looks promising for the 8x Steiner.

Why do you not like the 10's on a boat? Is it because it's harder to keep them steady to focus?

I'm leaning toward the 8's because of that and also the wider field of vision. Just concerned 8x would not be enough magnification. Is there really much of a difference? I tried a 8x and a 10x in a store and couldn't see a difference. Not a good way to test I know.

Forgot to mention that I also plan to use them at home on our deck to watch the "critters". We live in Nevada where there are lots of rabbits, quail, bald eagles, hawks, owls, and coyotes. Plus brown bear up the hill in Lake Tahoe.

Which do you think would work best for that?

Thanks for the info on your wife's binoculars. Looks promising for the 8x Steiner.

Why do you not like the 10's on a boat? Is it because it's harder to keep them steady to focus?

I'm generally on a 25 foot boat in a bay or a few miles into the ocean, while fishing. It's a small boat and with 10x, it's harder to spot baitfish or stuff in the water because you're vision is all over. This is much less of an issue on big boats, like a 60 person whale watch catamaran or something.

I'm leaning toward the 8's because of that and also the wider field of vision. Just concerned 8x would not be enough magnification. Is there really much of a difference? I tried a 8x and a 10x in a store and couldn't see a difference. Not a good way to test I know.

The reality is that no amount of magnification ever seems to be enough but there are practical limits. Go as big as you can tolerate. My advice for a vacation is to get as light as you can in at least 8x and you'll be happy.

This is a tough call. On our recent cruise, first to Alaska, my wife had 8x mid-compacts, and I had 10x42. She kept wanting to use mine, but I liked the wider field of vision on ours. We also noticed that the larger binoculars were easier to keep steady (even though the smaller ones were lighter). There were times I wished for 12x or better, but I never wished for smaller field of vision, so that's a choice.

We also saw a big difference in image quality because our binoculars (which cost about $130 each) and really cheap ones (because a few people let us try theirs).

Oh, I should add that with the 10x, the ship's movement never bothered me (although they might have if I was looking at things that were closer to the ship).

Edited by Bella0714

This is a tough call. On our recent cruise, first to Alaska, my wife had 8x mid-compacts, and I had 10x42. She kept wanting to use mine, but I liked the wider field of vision on ours. We also noticed that the larger binoculars were easier to keep steady (even though the smaller ones were lighter). There were times I wished for 12x or better, but I never wished for smaller field of vision, so that's a choice.

We also saw a big difference in image quality because our binoculars (which cost about $130 each) and really cheap ones (because a few people let us try theirs).

Oh, I should add that with the 10x, the ship's movement never bothered me (although they might have if I was looking at things that were closer to the ship).

Although they cost more, you could always buy image stabilized binocs.

DON