Zuiderdam updates? TV?

janmcn

We were on her in March. Felt almost embarrassed. My one statement on the post cruise questionnaire was: "PAINT THAT HULL !!" Don't think they followed my advice. [emoji9]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me if the Z has the new TVs in the cabins yet? (Along with the new programming.) Also, are any of the updates to the ship going to be done by Oct.?

The next extended maintenance period for Zuiderdam is not until late October 2017 at which point it's expected to get the suite updates (and presumably the newer television monitors you mention). Between now and then it's probably just routine, day-to-day maintenance. I believe those scrapes on the hull were reported here a couple of months ago as having occurred during one of it's last trips through the Panama Canal locks before leaving for Europe.

The next extended maintenance period for Zuiderdam is not until late October 2017 at which point it's expected to get the suite updates (and presumably the newer television monitors you mention). Between now and then it's probably just routine, day-to-day maintenance. I believe those scrapes on the hull were reported here a couple of months ago as having occurred during one of it's last trips through the Panama Canal locks before leaving for Europe.

Swell. I'm sailing her in August 2017. I hope it's not a pre-dry dock type cruise.

Swell. I'm sailing her in August 2017. I hope it's not a pre-dry dock type cruise.

Well you're about two months ahead of the dry dock but you do have to hope they're not going to let some things go knowing the ship will be in for maintenance in a few months. :(

We were on her in March. Felt almost embarrassed. My one statement on the post cruise questionnaire was: "PAINT THAT HULL !!" Don't think they followed my advice. [emoji9]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is normal for ships passing through the canal to lose paint along the sides. The only difference is the degree/length. We watched a Princess ship in the next lane earn a very long scrape. Both ships in the next port were parked side-by-side with paint rollers actively making repairs.

It is normal for ships passing through the canal to lose paint along the sides. The only difference is the degree/length. We watched a Princess ship in the next lane earn a very long scrape. Both ships in the next port were parked side-by-side with paint rollers actively making repairs.

I'd second this. On our transit in April 2014, there was clearly too much/not enough slack on sets of lines and the ship took a hard bump into the side of the canal, enough to throw a few people off balance. When we docked in Colon, there was a visible gouge above the water line and a number of officers inspecting it. After the cruise, and I do not know if it was related, we had about a $20 refund due to 'adjusted canal fees' or something along those lines

Just off the zuiderdam today. No new Tv's or programming. The hull is in the process of being painted. So everyday you here grinding when on your balcony. My mother in law lost use of her balcony for six of the twelve days for repairs. Still enjoyable trip but the ship is a work in progress.

Well, I can see the difference between damaged paint, and paint that is so old, it is starting to look pale and loosing it's color. Which surely was the case here, not only "Canal damage".

I was on the Rotterdam a few weeks ago. What a difference, beautiful deep blue.

Maybe all of this is still a result of the strikes during the Zuiderdam's last dry dock, but by now they should have had enough time to find a way to get things right.

Zuiderdam has had the most canal lock visits than any other ship in the fleet due to her winter 10 / 11 day canal cruises. That would expose the ship to more hull damage.

Where should they paint the hull? Increasingly ships are restricted from painting by ports concerned with the scrapings, drippings of paint into their port waters. And if the port permits painting, they need to hire a cherry picker, if available at the port and even still if painting is permitted, some ports have excessive fines levied if paint is spilled. Ships with a standard, repetitive cruise itinerary may have the good fortune of a port that permits regular hull maintenance. Ships that have varied itineraries are less likely, nor have the advantage of being a frequent / regular 'customer' of that port.

In recent dry docks, newer paints are being used that supposedly last longer and are more fade resistant. However, HAL 'marine blue' hull paint will show fading more so than a white hull.