Formal night attire for teen boy?

moongal

"My" interpretation of dress slacks would no way include "khaki"

Khaki is a color not a stlye

Khaki (UK /ˈkɑːkiː/, Canada and US /ˈkækiː/) is a color, a light shade of yellow-brown.

from Wikipedia

Edited by coevan

"My" interpretation of dress slacks would no way include "khaki"

Khaki is a color not a stlye

Khaki (UK /ˈkɑːkiː/, Canada and US /ˈkækiː/) is a color, a light shade of yellow-brown.

from Wikipedia

No problem....how does Wikipedia define "jeans" and "shorts"?....look it up. On your next cruise, don't wear either of them during Elegant night....you got it Forrest? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

No problem....how does Wikipedia define "jeans" and "shorts"?....look it up. On your next cruise, don't wear either of them during Elegant night....you got it Forrest? [emoji23]

I'm willing to bet the next Carnival ship they are on will not publish anything prohibiting jeans on elegant night, regardless of what the website might say.

Please tell me you're not "that guy" standing at the entrance with a website printout bending the ear of the Maitre D' :D

I'm willing to bet the next Carnival ship they are on will not publish anything prohibiting jeans on elegant night, regardless of what the website might say.

Please tell me you're not "that guy" standing at the entrance with a website printout bending the ear of the Maitre D' :D

I said it on an earlier post Maxwell....you got a pair of pants that aren't jeans in your drawer? Throw it in your suitcase, you are covered for Elegant night. Even with that tasteless knockoff Bahama shirt of yours....common sense buddy, use it, it's a wonderful thing [emoji106]

Edited by First and Ten

I said it on an earlier post Maxwell....you got a pair of pants that aren't jeans in your drawer? Throw it in your suitcase, you are covered for Elegant night. Even with that tasteless knockoff Bahama shirt of yours....common sense buddy, use it, it's a wonderful thing [emoji106]

None of my shirts are knockoffs:p

And I've never had an issue on Elegant, Formal, Gala, etc. night on a ship. And I've never skipped the MDR. And I've never been turned away. You're awfully emotionally invested in MDR clothing for someone that eats on Lido over 50% of the time...

Don't assume. Ya dig, Mr. Ten?

Edited by LMaxwell

I wear capris, sandals and a slightly dressier than usual top and never had a problem with elegant night in the main dining room.

We eat all meals in the dining room.

Here ya go Maxwell, perfect outfit for you :D

Edited by First and Ten

If the diners wish not to comply with that nights dress attire, are there other dining options available? This is what I never understand. Keep the integrity of the formal night for those that enjoy it and those that do not can enjoy a meal elsewhere. If invited to a black tie formal wedding, jeans would be Ina propriety and you would not even ask. But I am a rule follower.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lol. Then the dining room would be nearly empty!

I love these dress code threads so much! They just bring out the best in people!!

I really feel for the OP -- I wonder if she (assuming "Moongal" is a she -- if not, sorry!) fully understood the size of the can of worms she was opening (and the ferocity of the worms!) in posting her original question. (Actually, she posted 3 jeans-related questions: "Are jeans allowed? Would jeans be OK?" and " Would my teen be turned away in jeans?" Three cans of worms!!!)

Reading through this entire thread has been a revelation to me. It made me realize that I have turned 180 degrees on this topic. I used to be of the opinion that dress codes were sacrosanct and that other cruisers would be ruining my "elegant night" experience if they did not abide by them. I was, basically, a stuck-in-a-rut old fogie clinging to the traditional 1940's Hollywood movie image of cruising being an elegant experience for the elite, culminating in the "formal night" in which all of us with the means to do it would strut our fancy duds while the "riff-raff" who couldn't afford to or who were unwilling to dress up would be relegated to steerage...err, the buffet. You can check my past dress code posts to see from what an exalted position I pontificated on this subject! :o Reading through the posts of folks who express the same sort of views I once held has made me realize what a ridiculously high-and-mighty fuddy-duddy I used to be.

Boy, have I changed!!! My husband and I have taken 4 cruises in 10 years. My expectations of our first cruise were straight out of history -- from the "golden age" of cruising where just being on board meant we had "made it" into a world of elegance and refinement. But even this Celebrity cruise came nowhere close to meeting the expectations I now realize were totally unrealistic. On the Carnival and Holland America cruises which followed, we were able to "find our own level" and enjoy each cruise in ways which were more authentic to ourselves, and not to the fantasy I had of cruising. We dressed up every night for dinner because we wanted to -- we dressed up even more for elegant nights because we chose to. And we enjoyed our cruises and each other and the lifestyle we chose to live on board. And although we continued to notice what other people were wearing, we did not let differences in wardrobe choices affect our enjoyment of our cruise and the sophisticated romance we created for ourselves. Our fourth cruise (Princess) was one we took with an eye toward total relaxation, even though we still dressed for dinner because we enjoy doing it.

It was on this "total relaxation" cruise that I realized how many other people cruise for this purpose -- not to fancy themselves up, be stuffy and formal, or stress over dress codes. And, of course, mainline cruising has become so financially accessible to so many economic "classes" that my old elitist image of cruising was exploded. This affordable "casual vacation" vibe is what drives the decline in interest in dressing up, and in turn, drives the cruise line's relaxation of "formal" or "elegant" night dress codes and enforcement.

Whether we current or former traditionalists like it or not, folks are going to wear what they are going to wear on board, and they are going to go into the venues they want to go into, wearing whatever they have chosen to wear. Of course ship staff can choose to enforce dress codes and exclude folks from particular venues based on their dress, or choose not to enforce codes. But unless cruise lines start allowing pax to enforce onboard dress codes, we really won't have any impact on the choices others make -- only on those choices we make ourselves.

I love these dress code threads so much! They just bring out the best in people!!

I really feel for the OP -- I wonder if she (assuming "Moongal" is a she -- if not, sorry!) fully understood the size of the can of worms she was opening (and the ferocity of the worms!) in posting her original question. (Actually, she posted 3 jeans-related questions: "Are jeans allowed? Would jeans be OK?" and " Would my teen be turned away in jeans?" Three cans of worms!!!)

Reading through this entire thread has been a revelation to me. It made me realize that I have turned 180 degrees on this topic. I used to be of the opinion that dress codes were sacrosanct and that other cruisers would be ruining my "elegant night" experience if they did not abide by them. I was, basically, a stuck-in-a-rut old fogie clinging to the traditional 1940's Hollywood movie image of cruising being an elegant experience for the elite, culminating in the "formal night" in which all of us with the means to do it would strut our fancy duds while the "riff-raff" who couldn't afford to or who were unwilling to dress up would be relegated to steerage...err, the buffet. You can check my past dress code posts to see from what an exalted position I pontificated on this subject! :o Reading through the posts of folks who express the same sort of views I once held has made me realize what a ridiculously high-and-mighty fuddy-duddy I used to be.

Boy, have I changed!!! My husband and I have taken 4 cruises in 10 years. My expectations of our first cruise were straight out of history -- from the "golden age" of cruising where just being on board meant we had "made it" into a world of elegance and refinement. But even this Celebrity cruise came nowhere close to meeting the expectations I now realize were totally unrealistic. On the Carnival and Holland America cruises which followed, we were able to "find our own level" and enjoy each cruise in ways which were more authentic to ourselves, and not to the fantasy I had of cruising. We dressed up every night for dinner because we wanted to -- we dressed up even more for elegant nights because we chose to. And we enjoyed our cruises and each other and the lifestyle we chose to live on board. And although we continued to notice what other people were wearing, we did not let differences in wardrobe choices affect our enjoyment of our cruise and the sophisticated romance we created for ourselves. Our fourth cruise (Princess) was one we took with an eye toward total relaxation, even though we still dressed for dinner because we enjoy doing it.

It was on this "total relaxation" cruise that I realized how many other people cruise for this purpose -- not to fancy themselves up, be stuffy and formal, or stress over dress codes. And, of course, mainline cruising has become so financially accessible to so many economic "classes" that my old elitist image of cruising was exploded. This affordable "casual vacation" vibe is what drives the decline in interest in dressing up, and in turn, drives the cruise line's relaxation of "formal" or "elegant" night dress codes and enforcement.

Whether we current or former traditionalists like it or not, folks are going to wear what they are going to wear on board, and they are going to go into the venues they want to go into, wearing whatever they have chosen to wear. Of course ship staff can choose to enforce dress codes and exclude folks from particular venues based on their dress, or choose not to enforce codes. But unless cruise lines start allowing pax to enforce onboard dress codes, we really won't have any impact on the choices others make -- only on those choices we make ourselves.

Beautifully written, I concur. (And I too dress up by choice on elegant night. It makes the atmosphere something special.)

I would be embarrassed to admit that I had a teen age son that had no clothes other than jeans.

I went through that with mine too, son & daughter. Actually with my daughter it was the hot topic pants fad. Her first cruise involved me getting her to switch from them to normal jeans, and I managed her to get one dress too, lol.

You are absolutely 100% correct. In many households including mine.

Yep, my kids were always so excited to be taken on cruises, they would have never balked at whatever dress code was required. Also, they do understand the concept of dress codes, having worn uniforms to school forever lol! They get that appropriate attire is required in certain situations.

That being said, I do think I have seen jeans worn in the MDR on elegant night, so I don't think OP's son would be turned away.

I went through that with mine too, son & daughter. Actually with my daughter it was the hot topic pants fad. Her first cruise involved me getting her to switch from them to normal jeans, and I managed her to get one dress too, lol.

Ahhhhh the Hot Topic years ....DD went through that phase .. Gothic black hair dye, skulls and cross bones, Korn, Slip Knot , Good Times , Good times *LOL* It's a phase , it passes

I would do business with this company who dealt with snowflakes and dress codes appropriately

http://www.askamanager.org/2016/06/i-was-fired-from-my-internship-for-writing-a-proposal-for-a-more-flexible-dress-code.html

Perfect example of special snowflakes knowing best!

Ahhhhh the Hot Topic years ....DD went through that phase .. Gothic black hair dye, skulls and cross bones, Korn, Slip Knot , Good Times , Good times *LOL* It's a phase , it passes

I had one of these. For mine it was a long few years of experience and consequences before she finally got it. Teaching kids that there are social norms and expected behaviors is our job, and makes it easier on them when they got out in the work place and the real world of driving cars, paying bills, renting apartments.

Perfect example of special snowflakes knowing best!

I had one of these. For mine it was a long few years of experience and consequences before she finally got it. Teaching kids that there are social norms and expected behaviors is our job, and makes it easier on them when they got out in the work place and the real world of driving cars, paying bills, renting apartments.

Thank god my 4 all grew out of the phases and are all out and gainfully employed adults . Thankfully they were never dangerous phases . Odd hair colors and fashion statements and questionable tastes in music . Never any serious trouble. Looking back it was actually kind of fun. It would be very boring if I had 4 little angels :)

I wear capris, sandals and a slightly dressier than usual top and never had a problem with elegant night in the main dining room.

We eat all meals in the dining room.

You and a gazillion other women and no one can tell me that you are "elegantly" dressed per the finite definition some espouse. Once the first lady eschewed her cocktail dress or formal for a pair of slacks the dress code was irretrievably broken never to be "fixed" again...same when the first guy chose not to wear, at minimum, a suit with dress shirt and tie.

The "code" itself tries every few months to keep up with the ever-evolving casual nature of society by attempting, in words, to define a state of dress and, as demonstrated here on this thread, it is nigh impossible to get people to agree on what words reflect appropriate wear.

My wish is that the "code" would read: elegant night, a chance to dress as if you were traveling first class on the Titanic if you so desire. Otherwise, please choose articles of clothing that don't include swimwear, beachwear, fitness and active sportswear, or gardening attire. Dressing up can be fun, give it a try.

I cruise with my son and he was 17 on our last cruise. It's funny until this summer (he is just turned 20) he preferred Khakis over jeans. The kid hated jeans - wore shorts year round even if snow on the ground (unless going sledding).

But for his job this summer he has to wear jeans / or it's better than khakis since they get dirty faster.

You haven't said what cruise you are sailing. Is it 7 days? 5 days? What class of ship? Itinerary?? This all factors in. A 5 day sailing on the Fantasy - I think dress shorts for casual nights and dark jeans would be fine. On a 7 day Dream cruise - khakis for dress night and probably jeans for casual night.

Nicer itinerary - Nicer clothes.

(Nassau and Freeport - will be very casual group of cruisers. As would Cozumel cruises)

Shoes - it depends also. My son doesn't mind Sperry's so he will bring those or wear them to board. But for a 3 or 4 day cruise - he just had his tennis shoes because we flew and had a carry on each (and size 12 mens shoes take up a lot of room).

I figured that most people will see the teens shoes and think maybe he forgot to pack.

If he likes the O2 Club and should turn 18 before schools out - bring proof of HS so he can attend.

(It cracks me up when people complain about 18 yrs old with the 15 yr olds but they're all in the same HS and some kids don't graduate HS until 19 - depending on when they started kindergarten. And when their birthday is and school gets out. Two of my sons best friends were a whole year older than him because of spring birthdays. You would have never guessed these boys were older)

Hope you have a great trip. It's really hard once they age out of the club and aren't 21.

Just curious for anyone that may know..

Can you still rent a tux on a Carnival ship?

NO (thought I had already responded, but don't see it, and I apologize if it turns up as a duplicate)

Edited by Rh2458

Can you imagine those clothes in MDR on elegant night? Jeans, wifebeaters, cutoffs and flipflops would have gained a pass.