No medical waivers honored! Past final payment

EOSapril11

The OP's TA called the Special Access desk (uh huh...) and was told "no medical waivers".

But the OP doesn't know what level of detail the TA gave.

I posit that the TA called and said "can my client bring bottles of water on, if they have a medical waiver?" And was told "no, sorry".

OP calling directly, instead of starting this thread, would probably have solved the problem in 5 minutes.

Stephen

Gee I hope you're right Stephen. You make it sound so easy.

This is not an ADA violation, unless they are denying him access to "special" water (such as purified) or they are charging him more for the bottled water based on his disability. The drinks are available on the ship. Yes, they cost more than off ship and it stinks that the OP would have to pay the cost, but it is what it is. They are not violating anything based on the info provided.

I don't think the ADA would agree that someone needs a specific brand of bottled water over another brand. There have been people posting here that they are going to bring a note from their doctor that they can only drink Dasani, for example. It's my opinion that any doctor even willing to write that note is a quack.

Otherwise, the ship provides water, both for free and for purchase.

I agree with this. I do get the frustration as the NCL policy changed after final payment, but I guess I don't get the outrage that some feel and would consider canceling a $10,000 vacation over a $60 case of water. I mean I do not drink Pepsi products ever, but I'm not canceling my vacation because I can't get my Coke Zero for a week.

I don't think the ADA would agree that someone needs a specific brand of bottled water over another brand. There have been people posting here that they are going to bring a note from their doctor that they can only drink Dasani, for example. It's my opinion that any doctor even willing to write that note is a quack.

Otherwise, the ship provides water, both for free and for purchase.

This is not an ADA violation, unless they are denying him access to "special" water (such as purified) or they are charging him more for the bottled water based on his disability. The drinks are available on the ship. Yes, they cost more than off ship and it stinks that the OP would have to pay the cost, but it is what it is. They are not violating anything based on the info provided.

I might have missed it but the OP didn't mention water, only that DH needs "other drinks". If those drinks aren't available onboard then an accomdation would need to be made for her to bring them.

I agree with this. I do get the frustration as the NCL policy changed after final payment, but I guess I don't get the outrage that some feel and would consider canceling a $10,000 vacation over a $60 case of water. I mean I do not drink Pepsi products ever, but I'm not canceling my vacation because I can't get my Coke Zero for a week.

I can understand the OP's frustration over this and hope the Access Desk can resolve it. They did an outstanding job with my DH's issues while he was alive.

When you have unique medical situations, trust me, it's all-consuming. And, when plans have to change at the last minute, it can present unique challenges to not only the person with the medical issues, but to their families.

There may very well be dramatic differences in how water is processed that could impact the traveler (I don't know much about that) and, certainly, other beverages he needs always have differences in exact amounts of additives.

So, hopefully, Access can resolve this successfully so the family can enjoy their vacation without concern.

I might have missed it but the OP didn't mention water, only that DH needs "other drinks". If those drinks aren't available onboard then an accomdation would need to be made for her to bring them.

I read where the OP mentioned water and the price of water, in addition to "other drinks."

I completely understand your frustration. If contacting NCL doesn't have any effect, I suggest you can at least bring a Brita or other filter on board to save on water expenses this cruise. It's a pain, but an alternative. Then, choose another line in the future. NCL is again being penny wise and pound foolish on this one.

To clarify, the other drink is available on the ship, so they say. HOWEVER, I was NOT ASKED PRIOR TO DENIAL what the other drink was. My TA went back to the access desk after telling me the denial & asked if a specific drink was available. So, I probably do not have any recourse but to be price gouged for a dietary need. If you have a gluten, kosher, low-sodium, non-dairy dietary need--do you get price gouged?????? DO THEY CHARGE FOR GUIDE DOGS?? NO, THEY ACCOMODATE.

A friend of mine just came back from CArnival & it is my understanding you can no longer bring drinks on board either--BUT they lowered their prices on their water bottles to around $1.25/bottle. NCL is still currently around $3.25/bottle. I didn't even ask how much the other drink he needs but depending on the activity of the day (& he is healthy & active & goes to the gym) he drinks upwards of 10+ bottles of combination of drinks at least. You do the math for 7 days. Sorry, but it's outrageous. Its a NEED, not a WANT.

And my main frustration is that it was done 4 weeks before sailing without any recourse. Yes, I have found out we can get what we need (so they say) on the ship, but WE WILL BE PAYING ASTRONOMICAL PRICES FOR THIS DISABILITY.

I knew I was going to get haters & ignorant comments here. First of all, I did not know that I could call the access number. I posted here to vent & to see if anyone had any suggestions--which I got & thank you by the way. I called before 9 & they are not open. I am at work & will call during my lunch. They are only open 9-5. I guess I might have to take off a day to get this taken care of.

It's hard enough to have to live like this, let alone jump through hoops to get something simple as ample drinks necessary to function & live. Thank you for all the supporters & to all the know-it-alls--I'm not interested in your ignorant comments.

I completely understand your frustration. If contacting NCL doesn't have any effect, I suggest you can at least bring a Brita or other filter on board to save on water expenses this cruise. It's a pain, but an alternative. Then, choose another line in the future. NCL is again being penny wise and pound foolish on this one.

Definitely will be chosing another line in the future, however it's too late now. If all cruise ships ban liquids, well we'll have to do land vacations. However, it should be my choice, not theirs.

To clarify, the other drink is available on the ship, so they say. HOWEVER, I was NOT ASKED PRIOR TO DENIAL what the other drink was. My TA went back to the access desk after telling me the denial & asked if a specific drink was available. So, I probably do not have any recourse but to be price gouged for a dietary need. If you have a gluten, kosher, low-sodium, non-dairy dietary need--do you get price gouged?????? DO THEY CHARGE FOR GUIDE DOGS?? NO, THEY ACCOMODATE.

A friend of mine just came back from CArnival & it is my understanding you can no longer bring drinks on board either--BUT they lowered their prices on their water bottles to around $1.25/bottle. NCL is still currently around $3.25/bottle. I didn't even ask how much the other drink he needs but depending on the activity of the day (& he is healthy & active & goes to the gym) he drinks upwards of 10+ bottles of combination of drinks at least. You do the math for 7 days. Sorry, but it's outrageous. Its a NEED, not a WANT.

And my main frustration is that it was done 4 weeks before sailing without any recourse. Yes, I have found out we can get what we need (so they say) on the ship, but WE WILL BE PAYING ASTRONOMICAL PRICES FOR THIS DISABILITY.

I knew I was going to get haters & ignorant comments here. First of all, I did not know that I could call the access number. I posted here to vent & to see if anyone had any suggestions--which I got & thank you by the way. I called before 9 & they are not open. I am at work & will call during my lunch. They are only open 9-5. I guess I might have to take off a day to get this taken care of.

It's hard enough to have to live like this, let alone jump through hoops to get something simple as ample drinks necessary to function & live. Thank you for all the supporters & to all the know-it-alls--I'm not interested in your ignorant comments.

I recall reading of a poster that had a gluten allergy and wanted NCL to order gluten free beer for him. He paid through the nose for it (several hundred dollars for a case as I recall) (and I also recognize that this was a want whereas you have need). I hope that they do have the other drink available and that they charge a reasonable price for it. I do hope that you are able to enjoy your cruise in spite of this. (And as for water the ship's water is very good and I hope your DH can use that, on many ship's it's purified in much the same manner as Aquafina [reverse osmosis]).

Edited by sparks1093

This is what the OP said: I will now have to pay $70 for a case of water. But that's not the point. They did confirm that there is another drink on board that we will now have to purchase too.

This is what the OP said: I will now have to pay $70 for a case of water. But that's not the point. They did confirm that there is another drink on board that we will now have to purchase too.

Okay, I missed it. I am totally sympathetic with her though because now she has a large unanticipated expense to budget for that she didn't have to worry about before. I know exactly how I would feel were I in her shoes.

Wow! To call those who do not 100 percent support you ignorant no it alls is harsh! I think everyone empathizes and understands your frustration, but some also understand NCLs position. I hope you are able to work it out, but with the information given, it will be because NCL decides to do the "right thing" for it's customer, not because of a law.

We are in the same boat as the OP, in a manner of speaking.

I require bottled water for medical purposes - i'm not confident in the ability of the cruise lines to provide healthy clean drinking water from the taps… As evidenced in recent reports indicating water coming out of the taps orangey brown or green at times.

Our cruise is booked and fully paid for… No chance of cancelling now. When we booked, we had the expectation that we could bring bottled water on with us as we had in the past. In light of the announcement and emails we received from NCL regarding their beverage policy changes, we assumed it would be a simple and economical alternative to just order our water in advance.

However, I experienced extreme sticker shock when I went online to do just that - The prices they are charging are absolutely astronomical and incredibly unreasonable.

When Carnival changed their beverage policy last year, it took about a week, and then they drastically reduced the price of bottled water that could be pre-ordered, so then we ordered some and it worked out beautifully.

I sincerely hope that NCL is going to follow that same pattern. In an attempt to prompt them into this kind of action, I sent them an email this morning… And now we wait for the response.

In case anyone else is considering writing to them and expressing the same concerns, I just used their "contact us" pre-cruise option and this is what I wrote:

Good morning,

My husband and I will be on the NCL Sun for a back to back cruise starting September 5th. In the last few days, we've rec'd notice regarding the new beverage policy. I understand that policies change, and I figured this wouldn't be a problem, as I would just pre-order bottled water for our room instead of bringing it on at embarkation as we had in the past.

This is where it became a problem. I suspect there is an error in the pricing for bottled water on your website available for pre-order. The prices start at $36.11 CAD for just 6 bottles, and increase from there to $94.32 for 24 bottles! I can only assume that must be some kind of mistake, as surely NCL wouldn't be trying to charge those kinds of exorbitant prices for water when guests don't have any other option.

Please advise when this error will be corrected so that I can place an order for bottled water with prices that are more inline with the industry standard. (i.e. Upon revision of their beverage carry-on policy, Carnival reduced the price for bottled water to $2.99 US for 12 bottles)

Looking forward to seeing your corrected prices soon, and very much looking forward to our first Alaskan Cruise! :)

Kind regards,

Celine

When, or if, I hear anything, I will post their response for all to see.

C.

The problem with the tap water on the ship is that it is desalinated, so has a much higher sodium content than the tap water most of us have at home. I've seen numbers as high as ten times more, depending on where you live.

Wow! To call those who do not 100 percent support you ignorant no it alls is harsh! I think everyone empathizes and understands your frustration, but some also understand NCLs position. I hope you are able to work it out, but with the information given, it will be because NCL decides to do the "right thing" for it's customer, not because of a law.

You are right, my apologies. It's not aimed at the ones who disagree with me, but the ones who think they know what I should have done to get it solved. Someone said I should have just called Access desk myself instead of posting here & would have been solved in 5 min!!

Well, I've cruised many times before & the lines won't deal with passenger directly if you use a TA (I've done both in past). So I called my TA first. I did not know about the access#. That initial call was 1hr 10min! Once I posted, I found out there is a number I can call & I did try this morning but they were closed. I will be calling at lunch time. Those are the posts I can do without. Thinking they know everything. Not the ones with suggestions or even disagreeing with me. They don't know what it's like & they're all probably out of final payment to make their own decision.

Edited by EOSapril11

Not sure what the "other drink" is but would the soda package include it? Or can you purchase it in powder form and add it to a glass of water? Just a idea. The tap water on Escape and Getaway was as good as bottled IMO.

If I where you I would put a case of water in my bag and see what happens. When and if you get called down to the naughty room bring the Dr.s note that it is medically necessary. Remind them that HIPA does not allow them to ask more than a letter from the DR. saying it is medically necessary.

the bottled water is "purified" water, not spring water.. that makes a difference. my mom is also a colon cancer survivor and can't have certain foods and drink. iced tea is not the same everywhere. we liked the suggestion of the flavor packets, but because the water was purified, it caused issues. we are offering our three next cruise lines (carnival twice, royal and princess) to have the spring water and iced tea shipped directly from the manufacturer to the ship and we are awaiting a response.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You are right, my apologies. It's not aimed at the ones who disagree with me, but the ones who think they know what I should have done to get it solved. Someone said I should have just called Access desk myself instead of posting here & would have been solved in 5 min!!

Well, I've cruised many times before & the lines won't deal with passenger directly if you use a TA (I've done both in past). So I called my TA first. I did not know about the access#. That initial call was 1hr 10min! Once I posted, I found out there is a number I can call & I did try this morning but they were closed. I will be calling at lunch time. Those are the posts I can do without. Thinking they know everything. Not the ones with suggestions or even disagreeing with me. They don't know what it's like & they're all probably out of final payment to make their own decision.

I really have faith that you'll get a medical waiver, even if you have to get a doctor's note saying he needs the "special" water that they don't carry on the ship. 😉 Maybe your TA didn't give enough info or the rep was having a bad day.

For people referring to tap water I'm not sure that I would drink water out of the tap in my cabin. However I wouldn't hesitate to use the water on the Lido deck, even filling a refillable bottle with it if necessary (yes, I would use the glasses).

Until the OP calls NCL directly and speaks to a Special Assistance Coordinator, no third party relay, all this 'outrage' is essentially baseless.

There is no direct evidence yet that NCL will not accommodate the guest's needs.

Until the OP calls NCL directly and speaks to a Special Assistance Coordinator, no third party relay, all this 'outrage' is essentially baseless.

There is no direct evidence yet that NCL will not accommodate the guest's needs.

I just called & am waiting for a manager to call back. The access rep initially told me "no dietarty issues were noted on my booking"!!!!:confused:

WHY WOULD I PUT THAT ON MY ORIGINAL BOOKING IF I COULD BRING WHAT WE NEEDED ON BOARD WHEN I BOOKED?????????

It is none of their business of what type of disability when booking!! I was not asking for any special treatment WHEN BOOKING!!! They changed the rules!!!!

I'll let you know what the supervisor says.

Edited by EOSapril11

:mad: We are less than 30 days to sailing, so obviously passed final payment. If we could cancel, we would. We have been on 7 cruises in the last 10 years, first time with Norwegian.

My TA called Norwegian to see how we can go about getting a medical waiver for certain liquid drinks my husband needs. They said NO MEDICAL WAIVERS ARE GRANTED to bring any liquids on board.:mad::mad::mad:.

My husband is a colon cancer survivor, early 40s and without going into detail has no large intestine. There are certain drinks he needs to keep his hydration in balance. Your large intestine is crucial for water absorption and maintains fluid balance. Since he does not have a large intestine to naturally maintain fluid balance, he must drink certain drinks and water throughout the day. Ok, fine. I will now have to pay $70 for a case of water. But that's not the point. They did confirm that there is another drink on board that we will now have to purchase too.

I understand if they want to change their policy. But I chose Norwegian because of the policy of being able to bring drinks on board. They changed their policy on us AFTER final payment. That's not what I agreed to when I booked & paid in full. AND now they won't even consider any medical reasons for needing it. Shame on Norwegian. This cruise is costing us over $10,000 for my family so we are not cheaping out in anyway. Bringing drinks is a necessity, especially while off the ship.

I don't need any hate, just wanted to vent & let others know that there are no medical exceptions. I do plan on emailing Norwegian, but I doubt it will go anywhere. Thanks for listening.

There is no way this wouldn't be honored IF the beverages he needs are not available onboard the ship. Have your doctor write the note, email it to the access desk, and bring it with you to the pier.

There is no way this wouldn't be honored IF the beverages he needs are not available onboard the ship. Have your doctor write the note, email it to the access desk, and bring it with you to the pier.
I believe the issue now is that they are available on board, but the OP doesn't want to pay the price NCL is charging: So, I probably do not have any recourse but to be price gouged for a dietary need.