Table for 2, 4, 6, or 8! Which might we appreciate?

ams cruiser

My husband and I have room service breakfast every day in our cabin. Always a 2-top! :) Lunch in the buffet.

Now as to dinner arrangements: (Though we've only had one Princess cruise, I think our experiences on other lines may also be informative.)

We have had completely different experiences in the dining room each time we have cruised. On our first cruise (Celebrity Infinity) we chose late fixed seating, and requested an 8-top. We got an 8-top, but one couple never appeared at the table, and another came the first night and never reappeared. So we ended up spending every dinner with the one remaining couple. As it happened, the four of us got along famously, and I was teary-eyed saying good-bye to them at the end of the cruise!

On our second cruise, on Carnival Fascination, we again chose late fixed seating, and (I think) requested a 6-top. We were assigned a rectangular booth with one other couple. Though we did not become fast friends with our companions, our dinners together were pleasant. Sometimes all four of us conversed, and sometimes we conversed as two separate couples. The latter was facilitated by the fact that each of us sat next to, not across from, our spouse, so we could easily speak in low tones without disturbing the other couple.

The best cruise dining experience we ever had was on our third cruise, on HAL Zuiderdam, when we moved from a 6-top because we could not tolerate our snooty, know-it-all table companions. Though we did not realize it at first, we were actually moved from a fixed to a flexible dining section of the DR -- when we arrived at dinner the first night at our new table, the waiter asked us if we minded if others were seated with us. We said we did not mind, though we preferred to be alone together. And alone together we were -- just the two of us at a rectangular 8-top -- for the entire 10-night cruise! Because we hadn't realized we were no longer in the fixed seating area of the dining room, we arrived at dinner at the same time every night and sat at the same table, just as we would have done in fixed seating. We therefore had the same fabulous wait staff every night, whom we got to know well, and because we were the only ones at the table, our waiter and assistant waiter had plenty of extra time to spend with us. We also got to know the sommelier, the dining room manager, the head waiter and the maitre d', and apparently made a positive impression on them, as they recommended us to the captain to dine with him later in the week. (Now, the captain's 9-top was by far the best table we've ever had! ;))

Our fourth cruise, on Caribbean Princess, was our first foray into flexible dining. Some evenings we requested a 2-top, and other evenings larger tables. We found some extremely enjoyable table companions, and some less enjoyable ones. Our most fabulous experience was, unfortunately, our last dinner onboard! I would have loved to have made a date to dine with those folks again! It was an 8-top, and everybody at the table was engaging and seemed to find everyone else fascinating! Conversation flowed.

Our flexible dining experience did agree with observations others have made on this thread, that the larger the table, the more difficult conversation can become, but that is really only a problem if the most interesting people at the table are the ones farthest from you. It is just as easy to talk to the folks on either side of you at a big table as at a small one.

I have read on these boards that you can use the flexible seating concept kind of like fixed seating by making a reservation for a particular table at a particular time every night. That way you could get the size table you prefer and the same wait staff every night. Of course, your table companions will vary, but that is advantageous if you don't hit it off with some of them. If you do hit it off with particular table companions, you can always agree to dine together other evenings.

In your situation, I would consider testing the waters by signing up for flexible seating. That way each evening you can try different size tables to find out which works best for you. On Caribbean Princess, we never dined before 8, and did not experience long waits. I cannot speak to waits for other dining times, or on other ships.

It's fun to have these conversations!

Indeed!:)

The few times we requested traditional dining at a table for 2 we never got it but haven't gone to the maître d' on embarkation day to request a change. We were assigned larger tables which like always had good tablemates but generally slower service which is even slower when passengers arrive late.

With AT dining by arriving either when it opened or after 7:30 we always got a table for 2 with rarely any wait at all. I've read that each maître d' makes the decision about anytime dining reservations so it can vary. Apparently some will allow a nightly reservation for the entire cruise which may be based on availability. Otherwise you can call daily (think between 0800-1700) to try to make a reservation.

There doesn't appear to be a standardized procedure on each ship & it may even vary on each cruise.

We like to eat early, so it sounds like we wouldn't run into a crowd with AT dining. Something to consider!

The few times we requested traditional dining at a table for 2 we never got it but haven't gone to the maître d' on embarkation day to request a change. We were assigned larger tables which like always had good tablemates but generally slower service which is even slower when passengers arrive late.

With AT dining by arriving either when it opened or after 7:30 we always got a table for 2 with rarely any wait at all. I've read that each maître d' makes the decision about anytime dining reservations so it can vary. Apparently some will allow a nightly reservation for the entire cruise which may be based on availability. Otherwise you can call daily (think between 0800-1700) to try to make a reservation.

There doesn't appear to be a standardized procedure on each ship & it may even vary on each cruise.

Another good point for AT dining, which we hadn't considered.

We like to eat early, so it sounds like we wouldn't run into a crowd with AT dining. Something to consider!

Another good point for AT dining, which we hadn't considered.

Hopefully whatever you decide is the best option for your cruise works great for you. :)

Although there isn't any ship that won't have crowds when too many passengers want to do the same thing at the same time. When anything gets too crowded, we just adjust our plans to have a relaxing cruise without getting upset about something that's out of our control.

Hopefully whatever you decide is the best option for your cruise works great for you. :)

Although there isn't any ship that won't have crowds when too many passengers want to do the same thing at the same time. When anything gets too crowded, we just adjust our plans to have a relaxing cruise without getting upset about something that's out of our control.

Great advice!:)

The Past three cruises DW & I chose anytime dining over traditional dining... we found we have a lot more flexibility with our dining options. we can choose dining times that fit our schedules, we can choose our dining partners, or we can dine by ourselves.

two years ago, we sailed on the RUBY, we had anytime dining... we found we could get a "standing" reservation for 8pm or so with the same wait staff for two. we were at the same 4 top table at each meal. At this time, the dining room was at best 1/2 full. I felt our service levels far exceeded any dining room experience we ever had in the traditional dining. We were able to dine just the two of us and still had conversations with the wait staff.. the dining room captain even prepared certain items for just us.

It is my opinion the Anytime Dining option give you the flexibility you need to completely enjoy your dining experience and not have to compromise comfort when dining

The Past three cruises DW & I chose anytime dining over traditional dining... we found we have a lot more flexibility with our dining options. we can choose dining times that fit our schedules, we can choose our dining partners, or we can dine by ourselves.

two years ago, we sailed on the RUBY, we had anytime dining... we found we could get a "standing" reservation for 8pm or so with the same wait staff for two. we were at the same 4 top table at each meal. At this time, the dining room was at best 1/2 full. I felt our service levels far exceeded any dining room experience we ever had in the traditional dining. We were able to dine just the two of us and still had conversations with the wait staff.. the dining room captain even prepared certain items for just us.

It is my opinion the Anytime Dining option give you the flexibility you need to completely enjoy your dining experience and not have to compromise comfort when dining

This is good to hear! Both of my previous cruise experiences, many years ago, were with a large family table. One of my most cherished memories in the dining room was getting to know the serving staff during the week. It's good to know that it is possible to have the same servers in AT dining as well.

These days we use ATD and always request a 6 top or less. We have not had a problem and have been seated at tables for 2, 4 and usually 6. Back years ago we picked the late dining before ATD was introduced. Many times we sat at a table for 6 or 8 that had empty chairs. One time we sat at a table for 6 by ourselves. They asked us if they could move us to another table but we declined. We had excellent and speedy service. So now when we show up at the MDR, we request a table for 6 or less.

These days we use ATD and always request a 6 top or less. We have not had a problem and have been seated at tables for 2, 4 and usually 6. Back years ago we picked the late dining before ATD was introduced. Many times we sat at a table for 6 or 8 that had empty chairs. One time we sat at a table for 6 by ourselves. They asked us if they could move us to another table but we declined. We had excellent and speedy service. So now when we show up at the MDR, we request a table for 6 or less.

Six seems to be a good compromise. Just for clarification, is the MDR where ATD is held?

Just for clarification, is the MDR where ATD is held?

Both ATD & TD are in a Main Dining Room (MDR)...deck 6 aft is traditional dining; deck 5 midship usually has an early TD before becoming ATD at about 7:30; deck 6 midship is usually ATD all evening.

Both ATD & TD are in a Main Dining Room (MDR)...deck 6 aft is traditional dining; deck 5 midship usually has an early TD before becoming ATD at about 7:30; deck 6 midship is usually ATD all evening.

Ah, thanks for clarifying!

I agree, 6 is the best size if you want to be able to talk and hear what everyone is saying. Early seating will probably be harder to switch tables though since it is usually already full.

I too thought a table for 6 would be the best size and requested it, but once on board we were seated at a table for 10...their biggest table! Ugh! I know I could have tried to get us switched but we just dealt with it. I would recommend you check out your table location once you get on board the first day. They obviously don't pay that close attention to your requested size!

My wife and I book a table for 8 on our cruises. Table for 6 sounds good, but what if there's that one couple you just really don't care for or are having difficulty conversing with, and the other couple doesn't eat with you one night? You're then kind of stuck with an awkward dinner. I do like the idea of switching places at the table each night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I too thought a table for 6 would be the best size and requested it, but once on board we were seated at a table for 10...their biggest table! Ugh! I know I could have tried to get us switched but we just dealt with it. I would recommend you check out your table location once you get on board the first day. They obviously don't pay that close attention to your requested size!

It sounds like your experience is a common one. Thanks for the advice. I'll check our table assignment as soon as we get on board.

We have found that we like to dine on our own ( we do anytime dining) and meet people in at a bar or event. However, when we did have to dine with others, I would sit with 6 people because if you're at a 4 top table, and you get really horribly awkward people, than it's just you and them for 2 hours. However, if there is an extra couple in the mix it's another conversation and a little easier.

However, we never minded to have a 20-30 minute wait for a 2 top table.

We have found that we like to dine on our own ( we do anytime dining) and meet people in at a bar or event. However, when we did have to dine with others, I would sit with 6 people because if you're at a 4 top table, and you get really horribly awkward people, than it's just you and them for 2 hours. However, if there is an extra couple in the mix it's another conversation and a little easier.

That's my greatest fear..awkwardness!

A lot of good ideas to consider...

I never thought of that! (inexperienced cruiser here) This actually brings up another question. Where do people generally eat breakfast and lunch? I've read there is a buffet that can get pretty busy on port mornings.

You don't say which ship you will be on so it can vary a bit.

Many choices for breakfast:

Room service (especially handy on port days)

Buffet (several across the ships with different food stations)

Main Dining rooms where you can eat a regular sit down breakfast. Also on Carnival Sea Day Brunch and Dr Seuss (Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast.

If on Carnival you have places like Blue Iguana (breakfast burritos!)

If on Princess ships, International Café.

Lunch:

Carnival (each ship may be different)

Guys Burgers and/or Pig Anchor BBQ, Fat Jimmy's, Bonsai Sushi, Mongolian Wok, Carnival Deli, Burrito Bar, Pasta Bar or Pasta Bella, Chopstixs or JiJi's Asian, Fish and Chips, Tando. Please check Carnival Website for what your ship has. Buffet, room service.

Princess

International Café,Alfredo's (my favorite pizza of all time, also available dinner),Pizzeria, Burger and Hot Dog Grill, Horizon Court Buffet, room service. Fish and Chips. Tea service.

I probably have missed many and others can add their 2 cents. If you go hungry, it is your choice!

You don't say which ship you will be on so it can vary a bit.

Many choices for breakfast:

Room service (especially handy on port days)

Buffet (several across the ships with different food stations)

Main Dining rooms where you can eat a regular sit down breakfast. Also on Carnival Sea Day Brunch and Dr Seuss (Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast.

If on Carnival you have places like Blue Iguana (breakfast burritos!)

If on Princess ships, International Café.

Lunch:

Carnival (each ship may be different)

Guys Burgers and/or Pig Anchor BBQ, Fat Jimmy's, Bonsai Sushi, Mongolian Wok, Carnival Deli, Burrito Bar, Pasta Bar or Pasta Bella, Chopstixs or JiJi's Asian, Fish and Chips, Tando. Please check Carnival Website for what your ship has. Buffet, room service.

Princess

International Café,Alfredo's (my favorite pizza of all time, also available dinner),Pizzeria, Burger and Hot Dog Grill, Horizon Court Buffet, room service. Fish and Chips. Tea service.

I probably have missed many and others can add their 2 cents. If you go hungry, it is your choice!

Thanks for all of the ideas! We will be in the Ruby Princess.

Going hungry? Not a chance!

Edited by ams cruiser

I were put at a 4 top table one time with 2 folks who we couldn't talk to due to speech impediments. Another time it was at a table for 8 with 3 other couples travelling together & had nothing to say that didn't involve their small group.

We've learned our lesson.....table for 2 only from now on.

I have just booked an Alaska cruise for DH and myself on the Ruby Princess this summer. We would like traditional dining first seating, but are wondering what size table to request. The only other 2 cruises we have been on were years ago with relatives where we had large tables just to ourselves.

This cruise it's just the two of us, however, and we are on "uncharted waters" in the dining room. DH and I would be fine with a table for two, but are also open to dining with others and see it as an opportunity to get to meet some interesting people. We want to be able to relax and enjoy dinner, however, and not feel the need to make conversation if it doesn’t flow naturally.

I know this decision is strictly a personal one and there is no “right answer”, but I would be interested in hearing perspectives of more experienced cruisers about which table arrangements they prefer, and why.

The travel agent I spoke with suggested we might try a 6-top, and that we could ask for a change to a table for 2 after the first night, if it didn’t work out. Would this be difficult to arrange a switch, if, for example, we found ourselves seated with "The Bickersons"?

We always get a table for 2. I don't really like introducing myself to others and answering questions that they might ask me. I'm a fairly private person with no grandchildren. I hate being asked how many grandchildren we have and when I tell them none, and they ask why and I give them the answer they looked stunned and bewildered.

On one occasion DH wanted to sit with a table for 6. I agreed and wished we hadn't because the subject turned to politics from one of the parties--clearly out of the blue. It got UGLY, UGLY, FUGLY. The couple weren't even Americans, they were from Canada. It was actually the Canadian husband who was the jerk. He called me a *itch, and I dropped a few "F" bombs on him. We were seated with 2 retired school teachers (women). The wife told her husband to leave, he gave me the middle finger and I gave it back. So, needless to say, a table for 2 fits us just fine.:D

Edited by elliair

On one occasion DH wanted to sit with a table for 6. I agreed and wished we hadn't because the subject turned to politics from one of the parties--clearly out of the blue. It got UGLY, UGLY, FUGLY. The couple weren't even Americans, they were from Canada. It was actually the Canadian husband who was the jerk. He called me a *itch, and I dropped a few "F" bombs on him. We were seated with 2 retired school teachers (women). The wife told her husband to leave, he gave me the middle finger and I gave it back. So, needless to say, a table for 2 fits us just fine.:D

Good for you!!

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

We like to sit with at least 6 others. We have met some really great people in our expirerience and have met some duds. But we really like to meet others especially from other countries. Last cruise we had a couple that didn't fit and after a couple of nights they didn't come back. They just didn't talk, their loss. We even sat with a couple that we had met had on the a cruise with in 2012.

We had a table for six on our last cruise, did not have anything to talk about with the other four so we switched and had a great time with a table of eight. The only problem was, it was hard to hear the couple at the end of the table.

Another cruise we requested a table for six, got four but the other couple never showed up. So, we had a table for four with just the two of us.

We have done table for two and did not have to site next to anyone (see example below).

ruby.jpg.fc94e19cf10f720f1d95792b98d6067f.jpg