Solstice Michaels Club 2016 - Boring? Wonderful?

aussie girl2

Has anyone specifically been to Michaels Club on Solstice recently? I travelled in Dec 2015 and it looked, well, mostly abandoned and dead.

But with recent changes across the fleet, are they running "event" nights above the usual evening happy hour? Or musicians or something?

Lots of fun places to be on board at that time of night, very conflicting reports range from people having a jovial pre dinner soiree at Michaels to "we went for a look but there was nobody there".

Thanks for any recent experiences!

Has anyone specifically been to Michaels Club on Solstice recently? I travelled in Dec 2015 and it looked, well, mostly abandoned and dead.

But with recent changes across the fleet, are they running "event" nights above the usual evening happy hour? Or musicians or something?

Lots of fun places to be on board at that time of night, very conflicting reports range from people having a jovial pre dinner soiree at Michaels to "we went for a look but there was nobody there".

Thanks for any recent experiences!

We were on Solstice March/April. There were several arranged events which were well attended and quite lively. We loved it as a venue for pre and post dinner drinks, there were enough people in for it to have a sociable feel but I would not have described it most non event days as 'lively', more relaxed and with a genuine 'club' feel.

People make the difference in the Michael's Club experience. I've been on some cruises where MC was dead, others where it was full of people and very active. Events help to draw some, but most leave as soon as the event is over. The most active Michael's Clubs appear to be when you get a group of friendly conversationalists. I've be eon some cruises, especially TAs where people were there after midnight. I was on one cruise where the crowd remained until 2pm. Remember that Mike? I've met many who say that they will only take a Celebrity cruise if they can get MC. My advice would be to go up to strangers and say "hi".most people are shy to meet people! take the initiative and you might be rewarded with a new cruising friend.

People make the difference in the Michael's Club experience. I've been on some cruises where MC was dead, others where it was full of people and very active. Events help to draw some, but most leave as soon as the event is over. The most active Michael's Clubs appear to be when you get a group of friendly conversationalists. I've be eon some cruises, especially TAs where people were there after midnight. I was on one cruise where the crowd remained until 2pm. Remember that Mike? I've met many who say that they will only take a Celebrity cruise if they can get MC. My advice would be to go up to strangers and say "hi".most people are shy to meet people! take the initiative and you might be rewarded with a new cruising friend.

Totally our experience! Chatting in Michael's Club is so nice...we likewise have some great nights...not lively but soooo nice!

We loved Michael's Club on both our TA's one last year before SS were given access and one this year after..... Last year it was relatively quiet, though we still had a good time, but this year it was VERY active and many evenings before dinner it was standing room only.....after dinner many would come back, including us, to enjoy an after dinner drink.....

We are one of those that want to cruise on Celebrity in at least a Sky Suite so that we can have access to Michael's and OF COURSE the wonderful Luminae....:D

It really depends on the mix of people who are on the cruise, and that's unpredictable. And it depends on what you are looking for.

On my last cruise, there was a foursome who were there a lot, drinking and joking. But they had what my parents used to call a "potty mouth". Lots of cursing, F-bombs, coarse language. The first time I encountered them I simply left. The second time, I approached them and asked them to keep their voices down. That lasted about ten seconds and the rude jokes started again.

Did I love Michael's Club? No. Did they think it was wonderful? Yes.

It just all depends on who's using the facility.

It really depends on the mix of people who are on the cruise, and that's unpredictable. And it depends on what you are looking for.

On my last cruise, there was a foursome who were there a lot, drinking and joking. But they had what my parents used to call a "potty mouth". Lots of cursing, F-bombs, coarse language. The first time I encountered them I simply left. The second time, I approached them and asked them to keep their voices down. That lasted about ten seconds and the rude jokes started again.

Did I love Michael's Club? No. Did they think it was wonderful? Yes.

It just all depends on who's using the facility.

What an awful experience....didn't the conceirge or bar staff try to moderate?

What an awful experience....didn't the conceirge or bar staff try to moderate?

This was during times when there was no Concierge. I am not sure Bar Staff would recognize the offensive behavior -- off-color jokes, etc. And I don't really think it's their job anyway. The group wasn't drunk enough to call security, they were just engaging in what might be called "locker room behavior". Nothing I wanted to listen to, in any case.

Some people just don't know how to behave in public.

I wonder what would happen to Michael's Club attendance if a few of the people, who check it out and find it empty, decide to stay for a while instead of leave.

Yes I agree, there are 4 of us chatty types which is a good start. This happened to us several times in the Quasar Club where my teenage son likes the modern DJ music. Late night stragglers wandered past and heard something happening and soon there were 20 people on the dance floor!

Thanks everyone for the great replies, will look for MC events and give it a shot.

Is it correct that Sky & Celebrity Suites guests are also able to attend MC? But these rooms do not automatically come with a beverage package?

Would it be a stretch to assume that technically there are now more people, some of whom who may appreciate a nightly 2 hour free drinks if they have not purchased a package?

I am in a RS this time so that doesn't matter to me but that could represent a significant saving for people who do want pre dinner drinks.

Edited by aussie girl2

The one time I went to Michaels club, I was the only one there. Awesome atmosphere, but I thought it must be closed, or I was not supposed to be there, so I left.

Celebrity... It you want to make Michaels club the most happening place there is, simply hide to entrance, and make it a speak easy. The password will change daily any only be spread by word of mouth each day via the crew.

People love to be exclusive, and speakeasy's Rock.

Edited by thomaskuhn

Yes, it is open all day. We enjoyed morning coffee there as well as alcoholic beverages at other times.

On our cruise CS and SS nearly all had drinks packages as booking perks. We chatted with a b2b Zenith couple who said that on the cruise before ours Michael's had been packed pre and post dinner as the cruise had been marketed without an automatic drinks package....

People make the difference in the Michael's Club experience. I've been on some cruises where MC was dead, others where it was full of people and very active. Events help to draw some, but most leave as soon as the event is over. The most active Michael's Clubs appear to be when you get a group of friendly conversationalists. I've be eon some cruises, especially TAs where people were there after midnight. I was on one cruise where the crowd remained until 2am. Remember that Mike? I've met many who say that they will only take a Celebrity cruise if they can get MC. My advice would be to go up to strangers and say "hi".most people are shy to meet people! take the initiative and you might be rewarded with a new cruising friend.

Yes, the November 2014 Connie TA was one that will be hard to beat, but we can "try" on the Silhouette this November. Looking forward to seeing the two of you when we board in Civi.

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

We spent quite a bit of time in Michaels and really enjoyed it. We were a party of 10 (6 adults- 4 children ) and the staff was very kind and accommodating. there was almost always people in there. Even though we had the premier beverage package, we would go there before dinner most nights. It was the only place on the ship that had the wine I preferred, as well.