UK cruisers on a Celebrity cruise soon - think about buying some onboard credit

Equivalent rate for buying onboard credit at the moment is around 1.445 ($25 = £17.30) and with all the sterling woes recently if you know you are going to run up a bill it's worthwhile doing. You might also be quids in if you have it credited back at the end, but I don't bear any responsibility or advanced knowledge here!

http://www.celebritycruises.com/bonvoyage/cruise-onboard-credit/onbdcr

Phil

Does anyone know if the credit is refundable, and if so, does it have to go back to the card used to deposit the monies ? _ reason being, I have both UK and US accounts

Does anyone know if the credit is refundable, and if so, does it have to go back to the card used to deposit the monies ? _ reason being, I have both UK and US accounts

It is definitely refundable and, if you set up a credit card account, would normally be credited back to your card. We have, however, always taken it as cash at the end of the cruise [even with a credit card account].

Someone on Cruise Critic recently posted that a cash repayment was not allowed on Constellation. We have previously had cash refunds with no problem on Constellation. On our latest [Eclipse] cruise, I was initially told that I could not have it in cash but I stood my ground, the guest relations person spoke to the Account department and was told she was wrong and I was right. That was in February this year.

The other person on Cruise Critic was adamant that I should not have had a cash refund so, if you want to be certain to receive your refund in cash, you should, perhaps, consider setting up a cash account. You will then be able to switch to a credit card account if you find that you will spend all your OBC.

I will repeat here the advice I always give about purchasing OBC: you are recommended to order by telephone rather than online. The online process is not automatic and requires human intervention. At busy time [as, like now, when the rate is very good], orders are processed in date of sailing order and not date of order. This has caused problems in the past.

I will repeat here the advice I always give about purchasing OBC: you are recommended to order by telephone rather than online. The online process is not automatic and requires human intervention. At busy time [as, like now, when the rate is very good], orders are processed in date of sailing order and not date of order. This has caused problems in the past.

I ordered it online as usual and must admit have never had a problem in the past. It now gives you the option of printing a receipt for the order. Much better.

Phil

Forgive my ignorance, and stupidity (as I'm obviously not understanding this clearly)

If I add £1000 as OBC (on my Mastercard) I will receive $1445.

If I don't spend it Celebrity will refund $1445 to my Mastercard at the end of the cruise.

Yesterdays Mastercard currency rate was £1 = $1.30 so I would receive just over £1110 back on to my Mastercard (assuming the rate stayed roughly the same)

If I changed £10,000 I could receive over $1000 :o

This can't be correct can it, is my math wrong? :confused:

Forgive my ignorance, and stupidity (as I'm obviously not understanding this clearly)

If I add £1000 as OBC (on my Mastercard) I will receive $1445.

If I don't spend it Celebrity will refund $1445 to my Mastercard at the end of the cruise.

Yesterdays Mastercard currency rate was £1 = $1.30 so I would receive just over £1110 back on to my Mastercard (assuming the rate stayed roughly the same)

If I changed £10,000 I could receive over $1000 :o

This can't be correct can it, is my math wrong? :confused:

Yep this maths is correct but don't forget the spread between the buying and selling rates ie the bank buy rate is higher than the bank sell rate. Then of course you don't know what the rate is on the day if it's converted back. Hence my proviso in the first post. I would add that as far as my buying the OBC here is concerned I'm looking at it as a deal on the money I spend rather than a speculative currency purchase.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Ordered ours about a week ago online and got the email confirmations within 2 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like you I have received "Amenity Confirmation" emails for both cruises I bought obc for in addition to the chance to print off a receipt at the time. This is much better than it used to be.

Phil

Just looked to order some, however, as we booked via a US Travel agency, I don't get an option to buy any (although it could also be down to a very poor website design, that I'm just not navigating to the correct location !)

I ordered it online as usual and must admit have never had a problem in the past. It now gives you the option of printing a receipt for the order. Much better.

Phil

Phil

Thanks for the update. We have never had trouble but was warned by Celebrity UK staff some years ago and have read reports of problems on Cruise Critic. I will cease my periodic warnings.

Just looked to order some, however, as we booked via a US Travel agency, I don't get an option to buy any (although it could also be down to a very poor website design, that I'm just not navigating to the correct location !)

Sorry, all cruise add-ons, including OBC, have to be purchased in the currency of the original booking.

You would be allowed to purchase OBC in US$ [not a great idea at present] but you have to go to Gifts by Celebrity. You do not purchase through MyCelebrity.

Edited by Project_gal

Sorry, all cruise add-ons, including OBC, have to be purchased in the currency of the original booking.

You would be allowed to purchase OBC in US$ [not a great idea at present] but you have to go to Gifts by Celebrity. You do not purchase through MyCelebrity.

Bummer -- is there a difference in exchange rates between gifts and my celebrity? I booked through US TA but couldn't see how to purchase extra obc so brought as gift.

On checking I do see shipboard and on board credit. Ah well, lesson learned !

Yes, $25 multiples. If you want to purchase more than $225 (ie more than the 9 on the drop down list) just continue shopping and buy more multiples of $25.

Phil

I bought 9 units + 6 units last year, for the same cruise.

I had the confirmation e mail for the 9 units, but not the 6.

A week later I contacted Celebrity Uk who had to contact Miami. The 6 units hadn't been processed, as the clerk had seen that I had already bought (9units) and thought it was a system error, so hadn't processed the 6 units!

Eventually it was sorted and I used that and a small amount of OBC ( given by Celebrity because they cancelled our Century cruise) to buy an iPad, which was purchased in US $. For UK customers it was a fantastic deal, as the exchange rate was excellent last year.

Phil

Do Azamara also sell currency?

I have not seen a link on their web site.

I've booked with US TA but I've just followed the link in one of the posts above and have added gift credit to my booking. They may decline processing but, but it's let me complete the form on line at least.

I've added another $100 of OBC to my account as the exchange rate is so good and I'm bound to want to use it for laundry or speciality dining. I did it online yesterday and got a confirmation back this morning that it's processed so all's good.

I've ordered some, let's see if it goes through. Is there any way to see what OBC you have ? I think I've been through every screen and link under manage reservation, but no where can I see what I have

Im confused..If Im not ordering it at My Celeb how do I know its available on my Eclipse cruise

Also it shows the price in Sterling.. How do I know it wont just be converted to the equiv Dollars at the current rate on sale day

My next ? is how do you order moe than 9

Edited by ighten