Panama canal cruise, port shuttles?

pris993

We are considering booking a cruise on the Eurodam from Ft Lauderdale to San Francisco in 2018.

Checking out some of the ports, on youtube, for example Puntarenas Costa Rica; Corinto Nicaragua; Puerto Quetzal Guatemala... wondering if HAL offers port shuttles to town... we don't usually do tours, simply like to visit the port town on our own.

From youtube seems like these are very small underdeveloped areas, so thought I ask about what is available in advance.

For us, the ship is our main travel experience but still like to get off and stretch our leggs.

Appreciate any comments in advance

The last two times we were on the Panama cruise, there were shuttles at the ports you mention except Puntarenas which is just a walk down the pier.

Puerto Q and Puntarenas are good places to stretch your legs without having to hop a shuttle.

We are considering booking a cruise on the Eurodam from Ft Lauderdale to San Francisco in 2018.

Checking out some of the ports, on youtube, for example Puntarenas Costa Rica; Corinto Nicaragua; Puerto Quetzal Guatemala... wondering if HAL offers port shuttles to town... we don't usually do tours, simply like to visit the port town on our own.

From youtube seems like these are very small underdeveloped areas, so thought I ask about what is available in advance.

For us, the ship is our main travel experience but still like to get off

and stretch our leggs.

Puntarenas: it's a 5 minute walk to downtown , big market with good quality products to the left of the pier, there will also be a tour offered to see the crocodiles in the Tarcoles river, very good..

Corinto: very poor city, walk to downtown is 15 minutes, for 5$ you can take buggy(bike) for a tour through the town or to a restaurant

Puerto Quetzal: walk right of the ship into a market with nice products, and places with cold beer, this is a very hot place, there is no real town. They offer a great tour to Antigua, a beautiful city in the mountains, nice pace to walk around and have lunch.

For us, the ship is our main travel experience but still like to get off and stretch our leggs.

We were in Puntarenas Costa Rica last December on Amsterdam. We were NOT allowed to leave the port area unless you were on a tour or paid $29.95 pp for a shuttle into the town. We decided to stay on board that day.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm booked on a Panama Canal with a stop at "Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas)". Can't get through to HAL on the phone to ask which it is as there are docks at both places. Is it Puerto Caldera or Puntarenas?

I'm booked on a Panama Canal with a stop at "Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas)". Can't get through to HAL on the phone to ask which it is as there are docks at both places. Is it Puerto Caldera or Puntarenas?

In the past Puerto Calderas has been where HAL normally docks.

A good resource is whatsinport.com which will even show you photos of the docking (or tendering which they will tell you) areas plus some port info.

We were on the April 2016 Panama cruise.

Puntarenas Costa Rica is a secure port ( with free wifi ) -- security guards will stop you from straying outside the port. To exit the port you must be on a tour bus or take a local taxi.

Corinto, Nicaragua: walk off the ship and directly into town. No shuttle required or provided. Nice local market setup with stalls. Park area behind market has free wifi.

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala: walk off ship. No real town but the port has many local vendors selling do-dads in stalls. Wifi available for $$.

Thanks everyone.

Got a reply from HAL - dock is at Puerto Caldera.

Doesn't look to be anything there, or at Puntarenas. Last time I did the Canal we stopped at Puntarenas and I was really spoiled because a business contact met me at the ship and we had a lovely few hours driving around seeing the countryside, stopped at the crocodile bridge, had lovely lunch overlooking the rain forest treetops with coatis at our feet and red macaws flying below. Don't have the contacts any more so am struggling to find something to fill the day. Don't like ship's tours.