Do you ever book with an early saver rate?

Carleeb12

We have NEVER been successful with ES. Everytime we try to take advantage of a price drop, we're told the price of our cabin category hasn't dropped. Or they would apply the price protection, but we lose the OBC that was included.

Don't know if it has anything to sailing with 3 or 4 in a cabin.... But my experience has shown it to be a waste every time.

But based on above postings, YMMV...

Every cruise we book is early saver. We also buy insurance in case of unforeseen issues.

Insurance: We always buy insurance

Just so you know what I have been told

Example: 2 passengers and $500 deposit

Before final payment

With ES and insurance, The insurance will reimburse you the $100

that would have been the penalty.

However the other $400 is still on your account with Carnival so

insurance will not reimburse you for that.

So you are still out the $400 cash in you pocket

That's the draw back of ES even with insurance.

I know I know you will just use it for your next cruise. However what if there was not

a next cruise with Carnival. you would be out your money.

example: Friend of mine had acute kidney failure,

Carnival does not offer Dialysis at sea so no more Carnival

How far out do you have to buy it?

Ours is within 21 days of booking/deposit to cover pre-existing health conditions.

Their "cancel for any reason" costs $50 more & also must be purchased within 21 days of booking/deposit. Since the Early Saver cancellation penalty would cost us $100/2, we don't ever add this to our policy.

Otherwise, travel insurance from this company can be purchased anytime.

We book early saver all the time.Booked early saver for a cruise 747 days out .Got insurance. Used AARP gift cards to pay for cruise. The savings from gift cards paid for our insurance +. This time will probably not get OBC but the price of cruise has gone up about 30.00 a person and we are 623 days out. So we are really not out anything with insurance covering trip. Get insurance ,pay for cruise with discounted gift cards, get peace of mind and lower price. Win Win.

This is the first time that I have done ES and so far I got a $100 price drop. Now that final payment date has passed any other price drops will be OBC. No problem with that as I can use to pay for tips and excursions. I am hoping for more price drops as my cruise is on 9/10 so people are back to work and school. There are still lots of cabins left and with the Zika virus scare I am keeping my fingers crossed that the price will keep going down.

On our upcoming cruise there was only $10.00 difference between ES and Past Guest. I will gladly pay the extra money to have a fully refundable deposit. My TA always gets me any available price drops or upgrades up until the final payment date. Carnival makes the adjustment because they know you can always cancel and rebook to get the lower price or upgrade.

On our last cruise in November 2015 we booked a balcony at the PG rate. Our TA found a suite promo the week before final payment and moved us to a suite guarantee for $250 less than the balcony. Could not have done that with ES because you have to price match to the same category.

Edited by DebJ14

I agree! Booked early saver on one cruise and never saw any price drops so I won't be doing that again....seems as though the prices just keep increasing lately.

Yes, but look at this way -- you got the cheapest price. :D

Edited by tandemcruzr

We have booked an early saver for an end of November cruise. I have not yet seen the rate go below my booking rate. If you are ok with the deposit in jeopardy, this is the way to go. Others have recommended insurance, take that advice. It will come in handy for more than deposit insurance.

Yes, but look at this way -- you got the cheapest price. :D

Exactly how I am looking at mine! I used to think I was the OBC early saver queen!! I have had over $900. in OBC. We always book about 11 months out. I cruise this time 9/16, and have gotten less than $100. in drops. Has been this way our last 3 cruises. Carnival is making it harder to get the drops. I spent over an hour on the phone, last week, trying to get $40. I KNOW I was entitled to, and could not get it. Our next cruise I will not even bother to book with Carnival. I have been watching the emails I received from travel sites, and saw if I had waited, I could have gotten the same price, and drink package would be included. Only problem, is the main reason we had always booked ahead is we like a balcony on the Lido, and FTTF. Those choices might not be available by not booking well in advance. But, it's time we loosen up and try another deck. And we do always get travel insurance, and have had to use it.

If you're "military eligible" and the Military rate is being offered, the Military Rate is often same as Early Saver, but without the restrictions. Ken

You are right but note the following. With ES, you are price protected until sailing. With Military, you are price protected until final payment which is usually about 2 months prior to sailing. I still take Military and cruise insurance, should some thing serious enough happens that requires cruise cancellation. Out of 19 Carnival cruises, I did need to cancel one cruise and collected the insurance. The cruise rates for ES and Military are almost always the same.

We can save $185 if we switch from a past guest to an early saver. I realize we will have to switch to a non-refundable deposit, but other than that, is it worth it? Also, if the price drops, do you get that amount back in cash prior to final payment or will it always go to an onboard credit?

My take is that we pay for our vacations with discretionary income, meaning it would not be financial hit to our lifestyle, retirement, etc if we cancelled and lost the entire fare. I would not like it but we chose to spend the money and it would be gone one way or another. And I never buy insurance. But I always compare the price of insurance for a cruise, smart phone, etc to what I pay for insurance on my house. Do the math sometime..you will be shocked how expensive that insurance really is by comparison.

I always book with ES also and usually wind up with some OBC. I always get insurance but not the cancel at anytime policy. I have canceled twice, first time I ate the $50 penalty and waited till future date to rebook using my credit. Very recently though I was surprised to learn that the $50 is discretionary. I was booked on Glory blogger cruise from Miami 2/17 and later decided I'd rather take the Magic out of Port Canaveral. Called regular line and got random representative (mention this as I usually go through PVP but she was not available) and told of my desire to switch. He waived the penalty and gave me full credit. Don't know if it was because I was ready to rebook right away or because of my history but it was nice bonus I didn't expect. I have since had 2 price drops on the Magic cruise so have $40 OBC to get started with.

I unfortunately, didn't book Early Saver, so no price guarantee. I just looked online, and it looks like the prices are now $80 cheaper per person (there are 9 in our group), plus $50 per stateroom (4 staterooms are booked). Our TA talked us out of ES, because of the non-refundable deposits.

Since there is such a large group of us, getting everyone together to figure out what we want to do is a logistical nightmare. But we shall see. $720 more is a LOT, not to mention $200 in obc.

I thought ES disappeared at the 5 month mark on 7 day cruises or do you take all short cruises?

Bill

On my last few cruises there has been a ES last chance rate showing up at about the 100 day mark

It hasn't done me any good.

You know Carnival, always changing there own rules.

We have either done early saver or the guarantee if we booked just 2 or so months in advance. We have never gotten money back with early saver bc we book it for our fall break cruise. The entire state of TN also books for the same week & it always ends up sold out. We buy insurance as well but the chance of us canceling our fall break cruise is slim to none.