Can You Bring Bottled Water on Board?

KCcruzor

Bottles are not allowed. End of story. People may have their conspiracy stories as to why but the final outcome is the same. No bottles of beverages of any kind other than an unopened and factory sealed bottle of wine per person. Ships water is great, bottled water on the ship is inexpensive. Empty (waiting to be filled) insulated mugs and containers are welcomed. Cans of soda are allowed as are "paper" containers of juice and children's drinks. Amounts are limited so check the Carnival faq sheets.

• 11 months later...
Granted. We are all allowed to agree disagree. I'm down with that, and welcome thoughtful discourse.

Sure. They were checking for liquor in water bottles. I bet once they started doing that those people stopped doing that.

It sure would be a pain to do that, though, if half the people on the ship decided to bring on their own water by the case, wouldn't it?

The whole time, the ship sells water, by the way. They now sell it by the 12 pack for an incredibly reasonable price. They sell soda, juice, most other things too!

What I am saying is that quite frankly, it is the people that chose to bring on WHATEVER that created the problem.

The fact that the cruise line allows it is an aside, but for the fact that anyone can bring on a 12 pack of whatever - that is what creates an issue of overhead in clearing all of that. Would it be ok to bring on a 12 pack of explosives instead of Diet Coke or bud light? That's also part of why they (security!) check.

My original post was in response to how it's the smugglers fault. In reality, I think the cruise line has a bigger problem with the perhaps even repeat cruisers that scheme to spend no money on board, in part by bringing on beverages for a week. They sell the same thing (most times, not counting for specialty stuff etc). Those people who don't spend money onboard imo, cost the cruise line more than those nasty smugglers, who for the most part, will still have a hefty bar tab.

Your argument falls apart in two ways- CCL still allows cans and cartons to be brought aboard and if they were looking to decrease stuff being brought aboard I don't think they would allow that either. But primarily because CCL announced that the change was due to people bringing on alcoholic beverages in bottles which was causing security issues by them having to screen every bottle (and I doubt that a significant number of people "stopped doing that" because of the screening since the smuggler's mantra over the years that I've been on CC is to give it a try using different methods and some will undoubtedly make it through).

I was a smuggler, never got caught with 1-2 litters of rum each cruise and still had a decent bar bill. The reason for my smuggling was to consume in my room and Carnival charges $80+ for a bottle of liquor. That's about six times the price on land. That's a rip off, so I don't blame people for smuggling.

I've smuggled with the new rules as I had a process that always worked. Until the screener and checker are the same person or they communicate what's in each bag then there are ways…

Long live the smuggler when Carnival charges an exorbitant amount for hard liquor in the cabin.

I've found a cheaper way altogether - I quit drinking ;)

My experience with HAL and Royal is they don’t check bags like Carnival. Carnival must insist the security guards check each bag that has liquid. HAL and Royal never opened my hand carry bag after it was screened even when it contained wine, water, and rum.

I’m very happy Carnival is reasonable for the water prices as my wife drinks it like a fish.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I firmly believe the decision to no longer allow bottled water on the ship was not a result of anything other than they had been finding too many people smuggling liquor in the water bottles. Heck, my neighbors sailed on a Disney Cruise recently and boasted the (empty) bottles of shampoo that they purchased specifically for smuggling vodka and rum. Cheaters and non-ruler followers in my opinion do spoil it for everyone else.

Rum running never hurt anyone.