Sailing out of Vancouver-suggestions for good hotels?

seadancer

I've heard about the Pan Pacific (you tip the bell man and he makes sure your luggage gets to ship terminal!) but we were wondering if there are any other nice hotels that aren't going to cost a pretty penny in the same area. We are arriving the day before our ship sails.

Any suggestions would be welcome. We are sailing in June 2017. Thanks in advance!! [emoji41]

Edited by seadancer

Vancouver is expensive. One of the hotels that many people recommend is the Hyatt Regency Vancouver. The best price on that one is to go through priceline, scroll halfway through page and click "express deals" (you wont know what the hotel is until after you booked). Enter your dates and then see the hotels pop up that are available at a discount for your dates. If you see a 4 1/2 star hotel pop up that says "4½-Star Express Deal Hotel

Downtown - Coal Harbor, Stanley Park, Convention Center Area ", that is the Hyatt. It usually is at least half off if you book it that way (for our dates it was $215, if booked anywhere else it was $450).

You can usually figure out what the other hotels are too. Just google search the description and it will probably show you what hotel it is.

Bookings are non-refundable.

EDIT: I just checked for dates in June 2017 and it is available for $190, and $349 on all other sites. You cannot choose your bed when you book this way, but they only have king sized beds or two doubles. If you are ok with either one, it is not a problem (though calling the hotel for a change of beds often works but is not guaranteed). We were assigned 2 double beds on our booking (which is what we hoped for as I am going with my sister).

This hotel has the same rating as the Pan Pacific.

Edited by Lisichka

Vancouver is expensive. One of the hotels that many people recommend is the Hyatt Regency Vancouver. The best price on that one is to go through priceline, scroll halfway through page and click "express deals" (you wont know what the hotel is until after you booked). Enter your dates and then see the hotels pop up that are available at a discount for your dates. If you see a 4 1/2 star hotel pop up that says "4½-Star Express Deal Hotel

Downtown - Coal Harbor, Stanley Park, Convention Center Area ", that is the Hyatt. It usually is at least half off if you book it that way (for our dates it was $215, if booked anywhere else it was $450).

You can usually figure out what the other hotels are too. Just google search the description and it will probably show you what hotel it is.

EDIT: I just checked for dates in June 2017 and it is available for $190, and $349 on all other sites. You cannot choose your bed when you book this way, but they only have king sized beds or two doubles. If you are ok with either one, it is not a problem (though calling the hotel for a change of beds often works but is not guaranteed). We were assigned 2 double beds on our booking (which is what we hoped for as I am going with my sister).

I'd used Priceline in the past but figured this far out the actual hotels might be cheaper.

Thank you for the info. $190 is more palatable than $450 or $350.

I'd like to stay in the waterfront area since we are arriving the day before and then sailing to Alaska. We were thinking (if the prices are reasonable) Pan Pacific, Fairmont waterfront or pacific rim, Hyatt Regency, etc.

We'd like to keep prices down to $180-$290 possibly.

Thanks to all for your opinions!

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency using points. It's a very nice hotel, the Sky Train (from the airport) terminal is right outside, and it's close to everything. We thought about walking to the cruise terminal from there, it was only a few blocks, but it was raining on sail morning and didn't feel like schlepping our luggage, so we grabbed a cab instead.

I'd used Priceline in the past but figured this far out the actual hotels might be cheaper.

Thank you for the info. $190 is more palatable than $450 or $350.

I'd like to stay in the waterfront area since we are arriving the day before and then sailing to Alaska. We were thinking (if the prices are reasonable) Pan Pacific, Fairmont waterfront or pacific rim, Hyatt Regency, etc.

We'd like to keep prices down to $180-$290 possibly.

Thanks to all for your opinions!

We got a week at the Metropolitan for $1100 for the week.

I've heard about the Pan Pacific (you tip the bell man and he makes sure your luggage gets to ship terminal!) but we were wondering if there are any other nice hotels that aren't going to cost a pretty penny in the same area. We are arriving the day before our ship sails.

Any suggestions would be welcome. We are sailing in June 2017. Thanks in advance!! [emoji41]

Check the Delta Vancouver Suites. It's a Marriott property, downtown reasonably priced. We are staying there for two nights in June 2017 for what one night at the Pan Pacific costs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We loved the Victorian Hotel. If you really are on a tight budget, you can get hotel rooms with a shared bath to save money. I picked a random date in June and rooms were as low was CAD 145. From the hotel we were able to walk to Chinatown, Gastown and the Cruise Terminal. Took a bus to Granville Island and Stanley Park. Hotel was clean, free wifi (and computer terminals with printers), and free light breakfast of breads, jams, fruit and coffee.

It was suggested to me to wait until September to book instead of doing so now. Any thoughts?

Much thanks for tip..just booked exactly as you instructed and got it for $188. Really pleased!

Where did you book and how did you do it? Priceline? The Hyatt?

It was suggested to me to wait until September to book instead of doing so now. Any thoughts?

Many/most hotels allow you to cancel reservations up until a day or two before. It may be worth making a booking now to ensure you don't get surprised if availability becomes limited. Just be careful of the rates terms to ensure you can cancel without penalty.

Thank you for this information! I had booked the Hyatt for late September using Hyatt points, then needed those points elsewhere so cancelled. After reading your post - I checked Priceline. The Express Deal was $221 plus taxes and fees, so I tried to get it for less by bidding. I hadn't bid for a Priceline hotel in awhile, but I knew what I was doing. I started bidding at $150, and when my $209 bid was rejected - I almost increased it to $214. I changed it to $211 - and that price was accepted! The total with taxes was $258.05, and the lowest price on the Hyatt web site (AAA rate) was ~ $457.48 US ($594.32 CAD). It's still not an inexpensive hotel by any means, but it was the hotel I wanted. It also allowed me to save the 10,000 Starwood points I used to book the Westin Grand for another time. :)

Can someone compare the Hyatt Regency to the Westin Bayshore? Would love to know the pros and cons of each.

We have stayed at the Westin Bayshore several times. It's a very nice hotel that is close to Stanley Park, but it's a bit of a hike from Canada Place. If that hotel had been available on 9/24 using Starwood points, I might've booked it.

The Hyatt Regency appears to be more luxurious, but its main attraction to me is its proximity to Canada Place and next to the Burrard SkyTrain station: http://www.translink.ca/en/Schedules-and-Maps/SkyTrain/SkyTrain-Station-and-Elevator-Maps.aspx#map

Are there any Hilton properties in good locations? That's where we have the most points.

We were pleased with the "Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Downtown". Lots of eateries within walking distance, on the route of at least on hop-on-hop-off tour, and the hotel has a shuttle to the cruise port (1.5km away).

Edited by gpb11

Are there any Hilton properties in good locations? That's where we have the most points.

We were pleased with the "Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Downtown". Lots of eateries within walking distance, on the route of at least on hop-on-hop-off tour, and the hotel has a shuttle to the cruise port (1.5km away).

I stayed at this Hampton Inn once using Hilton points, and it's a nice hotel.

We have stayed at the Westin Bayshore several times. It's a very nice hotel that is close to Stanley Park, but it's a bit of a hike from Canada Place. If that hotel had been available on 9/24 using Starwood points, I might've booked it.

The Hyatt Regency appears to be more luxurious, but its main attraction to me is its proximity to Canada Place and next to the Burrard SkyTrain station: http://www.translink.ca/en/Schedules-and-Maps/SkyTrain/SkyTrain-Station-and-Elevator-Maps.aspx#map

This is great information so thanks for posting it.

I have a question about coming from the airport to the Hyatt. It appears the end of the Canada Line is at the waterfront. So you must have to do a quick transfer to the Millennium Line to get to the Burrard Station - correct?

BTW, just so folks know (I didn't realize until I dug into it), taxi fares from YVR are zone based. It was a fixed rate of CDN$31 to the Hampton Inn Downtown and the taxi stand was right outside baggage claim.

While the train is likely cheaper, the overall cost was reasonable for the convenience of not having to think real hard about things after flying three thousand miles. :D

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/transportation/taxis

This is great information so thanks for posting it.

I have a question about coming from the airport to the Hyatt. It appears the end of the Canada Line is at the waterfront. So you must have to do a quick transfer to the Millennium Line to get to the Burrard Station - correct?

Yes, that's what it looks like, and that's what I read on the Hyatt Regency's web site. My husband will be doing this in September when he meets me in Vancouver and stays at the Hyatt Regency.