Sailing out of Vancouver-suggestions for good hotels?

seadancer

BTW, just so folks know (I didn't realize until I dug into it), taxi fares from YVR are zone based. It was a fixed rate of CDN$31 to the Hampton Inn Downtown and the taxi stand was right outside baggage claim.

While the train is likely cheaper, the overall cost was reasonable for the convenience of not having to think real hard about things after flying three thousand miles. :D

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/transportation/taxis

The train fare is $4 weekdays, or $2.75 after 6:30 p.m. and on weekends - PLUS a $5 surcharge from the airport. The SkyTrain is a better value than a taxi for 1 or 2 people who don't have a lot of luggage. However, since cruisers tend not to pack lightly - many will choose to pay for the taxi. :D

The train fare is $4 weekdays, or $2.75 after 6:30 p.m. and on weekends - PLUS a $5 surcharge from the airport. The SkyTrain is a better value than a taxi for 1 or 2 people who don't have a lot of luggage.

Yes, assuming one's hotel is in reasonable proximity to a train station. Ours was about a half mile which is certainly quite do-able.

In our case with two people and two roller bags each, having flown over 3000mi and with it raining at the time, we very gladly paid the extra cost of the taxi. :D After tipping generously I think it worked out to about a US$16 difference. We also enjoyed a good chat with the taxi driver about the city and sights as we rode over.

Edited by gpb11

This is great information so thanks for posting it.

I have a question about coming from the airport to the Hyatt. It appears the end of the Canada Line is at the waterfront. So you must have to do a quick transfer to the Millennium Line to get to the Burrard Station - correct?

Hyatt Regency Vancouver is located at the Burrard Street station and will require a transfer at either Granville Station or Waterfront Station.

I too researched our options and we are going to go with taxi. Our flight arrives (if all goes well) just before midnight. That will be 3:00am our time after flying. Add get luggage, get to train, walk to hotel, etc........ Too much for us to worry with at that time of the morning. We'll call it 31.00 well spent. Luckily we are coming in early and will have 2 whole days to check out Vancouver before we sail.

This is great information so thanks for posting it.

I have a question about coming from the airport to the Hyatt. It appears the end of the Canada Line is at the waterfront. So you must have to do a quick transfer to the Millennium Line to get to the Burrard Station - correct?

Yes, that is exactly correct. It was very easy to get the SkyTrain at the airport. I think we paid $3 per person since we arrived on a Thursday evening. There was a person at the ticket kiosk/dispenser on the train platform who was more than willing to help us buy them, who also explained that the train would arrive in 5 minutes. We each had one suitcase and one carry-on bag, and there was plenty of room on the train to bring these.

At the end of the line: Waterfront, we got off and walked a very short distance to the Millenium Line, which came right away. It's just one stop later to get to the Hyatt (Burrard Station), and the hotel is across the street from the Burrard Station.

I would not hesitate to use the SkyTrain to travel from the airport to the Hyatt again. It was easy, comfortable, and inexpensive.

Yes, that is exactly correct. It was very easy to get the SkyTrain at the airport. I think we paid $3 per person since we arrived on a Thursday evening. There was a person at the ticket kiosk/dispenser on the train platform who was more than willing to help us buy them, who also explained that the train would arrive in 5 minutes. We each had one suitcase and one carry-on bag, and there was plenty of room on the train to bring these.

At the end of the line: Waterfront, we got off and walked a very short distance to the Millenium Line, which came right away. It's just one stop later to get to the Hyatt (Burrard Station), and the hotel is across the street from the Burrard Station.

I would not hesitate to use the SkyTrain to travel from the airport to the Hyatt again. It was easy, comfortable, and inexpensive.

Thanks for the details! I often have to transfer to another train when traveling between the Atlanta airport and the North Springs stop when going to visit my daughter (when MARTA is single tracking) so this sounds very easy and a good way to get to the hotel. :)

Hyatt Regency Vancouver is located at the Burrard Street station and will require a transfer at either Granville Station or Waterfront Station.

The Hyatt's web site also mentions transferring at Granville. But looking at the transit map - Granville isn't on the Canada Line from the airport. :confused: I think transferring at the Waterfront station will be our safest bet!

I understand that SkyTrain tickets have an added assessment for late evenings.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Canada-Line-YVR-AddFare.aspx

DW and I did the numbers and it made sense to take a taxi.

Are there any Hilton properties in good locations? That's where we have the most points.

We are staying at the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown. According to Google Maps it's about 30 minutes by taxi or public transportation. It's not close to the cruise terminal, but my husband gets a discount through his company and since he stays at Hilton almost exclusively for work he has a high loyalty status and is willing to pay the taxi fare in exchange for the points.

Edited by tsg

We are staying at the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown.
location wise.... I would have recommended the Hampton suites while in downtown.... you get Hilton perks there too.

Hilton Metrotown is good WITHOUT luggage. Depending on when you arrive.... brutal with traffic via cab. Hilton Metrotown can be ugly with luggage.

I think Hilton Vancouver airport in Richmond would have been a better choice.

Edited by xlxo

location wise.... I would have recommended the Hampton suites while in downtown.... you get Hilton perks there too.

Hilton Metrotown is good WITHOUT luggage. Depending on when you arrive.... brutal with traffic via cab. Hilton Metrotown can be ugly with luggage.

Could you provide your opinion on the Westin Bayshore? We want to be close to Stanley Park, already planning on taking a cab. Are there any huge negatives? Thanks!

Hi! There's so much information I'm trying to absorb/remember...and I'm not doing a good job keeping track of it all. How long of a ride would it be from downtown (Hampton Suites) to the airport? And how much is the taxicab fare, on average?

Thank you!

Could you provide your opinion on the Westin Bayshore? We want to be close to Stanley Park, already planning on taking a cab. Are there any huge negatives? Thanks!
Thoughts....

• what do you want to do in Stanley Park? While the Bayshore is close to the park entrance.... the totems, train, aquarium and Prospect Point are a significant walk. Look at Google Maps and calculate walking time.
  • The Bayshore is a popular hotel. Hughes stayed there for a half year. Great water views. It's not a budget hotel.
  • good hotel choice for joggers who want to explore the seawall.
  • Cardero's is a popular restaurant nearby.
  • Also consider walking 5 blocks south to Robson street. Lots of restaurant choices there.

Hi! There's so much information I'm trying to absorb/remember...and I'm not doing a good job keeping track of it all. How long of a ride would it be from downtown (Hampton Suites) to the airport? And how much is the taxicab fare, on average?

Thank you!

Hampton Suites to airport is about a 30 minute cab ride for around $31 depending on traffic.

The Hyatt's web site also mentions transferring at Granville. But looking at the transit map - Granville isn't on the Canada Line from the airport. :confused: I think transferring at the Waterfront station will be our safest bet!
If going by the Canada Line.... I would get off at VCS (Vancouver Central Station) on Granville. Then walk the three blocks to the Hyatt.

Transferring trains at Granville or Waterfront.... just adds to the time.

Lots of luggage? I vote for the $31 taxi carload (USD $24)

I understand that SkyTrain tickets have an added assessment for late evenings.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Canada-Line-YVR-AddFare.aspx

DW and I did the numbers and it made sense to take a taxi.

Another factor for late evenings.... frequency..... it's 8 minutes or so during the day from YVR to downtown. In the late evening.... frequency drops to 20 minutes. Another reason I like the cab.

Can someone compare the Hyatt Regency to the Westin Bayshore? Would love to know the pros and cons of each.

Liked both but kind of apples to oranges. Bayshore is great for exploring Stanley Park, but is a long way from the pier. Some nice restaurants along the bay, as well. Hyatt is close to pier, metro and good restaurants. Either way you want to get rid of any rental car or be prepared to pay high parking charges. HOHO bus runs by both. Both can be pricey, although some of the "3 1/2 star" websites can get you half off at the Hyatt.

Le Soliel is also a block or so from the Hyatt. Nice old-style hotel with staff that treats you like family.

Fairmont, across the street from the pier, is expensive but offers bellman delivery of your luggage to the pier.

Breakfasts at all these hotels are very expensive. Recommend Tim Hortons donuts, with many locations.

Breakfasts at all these hotels are very expensive. Recommend Tim Hortons donuts, with many locations.

Yes to Tim's!

The location across from the cruise terminal opens early (I think 5 AM). The other locations nearby open at 7:30 on weekends.