St. Kitts excursions

andy2192

In October I'm sailing to Caribbean islands that I am visiting for the first time, with St. Kitts being one of them. Looking at the Carnival website for excursions I don't see anything that jumps off the page at me. Can anyone give me advice on excursions either through Carnival or on our own while there? Looking forward to hearing from people who have been there, thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the Top 10 Best of St. Kitts island tour. Brings you to Caribelle Batik, Brimstone Hill Fortress and Timothy Bay, amongst others. The guide was super informative and knowledgeable.

It's basically a bus tour but they give you 45 minutes at the fortress and the Batik studio so you can explore on your own, and about 15 at the other places. It's a good way to see a lot of things in a short period of time.

Go look on the St Kitts board and there are lots of good excursion ideas. We used one of the ideas when we were there and it was great, but I can't remember the name of the tour right now.

I am going to assume you may be doing Southern route from San Juan?

We have sailed 5x from there.

Our St.Kitts experiences-

First time with "senior age" plus us at time in 40's. Booked thru Carnival the Sugar train- good tour to see perimeter, and if want share excursion with slower moving family members. Interesting at first, but later on gets a bit repetitive seeing sugar cane. If do book sit on left as looking fwd in my opinion.

Our tour returned by noon, and chose to quickly do a turn around. We found the "official taxi area" a TV tray with some extra getting you a taxi of who is legally next to get a fare. Others will try & approach, but not sure if legal or just locals trying make a buck. We chose official way. I think it was $50 at the time- took us to the Brinstone Fort- worth seeing & bring your camera for sure. By early afternoon all ship tours had left and just handful touring it.

They offer a free intro movie, but our taxi had given us only 45 min so decided walk thru movie exit and start our photos. Nice not having people in your photos. It was do slow, we found a rather guilty looking crew from gift shop rolling the cannonballs diwn handicap ramp as a game to amuse themselves. From there. We caught only a bit of Caribbean batik as near closing.

On way int the fort it is X ewhat rainforests and did spy some monkeys.

The taxi fare did not cover entrance fee do add that in, it is quite small amount though.

On another cruise we just chose to enjoy ship, try shopping. To be hen st many shops are owned by same families so quite repetitive. Found nice sun dress though. If one goes all the way towards back left there is a small what I'd call mini straw market with vendor stalls. Further back from there is the circle with a flick- it used to be worth going that far, now feel all unique shops left and has become more fill n electronic shops, etc and did not feel as safe. Would now only venture to the vendor area.

Overall - I think if can see he Fort it is worth it. The see the sights tour may be best bargain.

In October I'm sailing to Caribbean islands that I am visiting for the first time, with St. Kitts being one of them. Looking at the Carnival website for excursions I don't see anything that jumps off the page at me. Can anyone give me advice on excursions either through Carnival or on our own while there? Looking forward to hearing from people who have been there, thanks in advance.

I've stayed at the Marriott on St Kitts, not a bad place for a day pass.

Even better is Carambola Beach Club, much nicer beach and better local food (lobster salad sandwich or grilled grouper or mahi mahi).

Is it Friars or Frigate Beach that faces Nevis? Already mentioned is the snorkel to Nevis catamaran trip, that's usally an all day affair with lunch.

You didn't say what your preferences are, so I'm throwing out stuff with no idea if you could like it or not. Land side things like Brimstone and the train have been mentioned. Whatever.

Edited by evandbob

I am going to assume you may be doing Southern route from San Juan?

We have sailed 5x from there.

Our St.Kitts experiences-

First time with "senior age" plus us at time in 40's. Booked thru Carnival the Sugar train- good tour to see perimeter, and if want share excursion with slower moving family members. Interesting at first, but later on gets a bit repetitive seeing sugar cane. If do book sit on left as looking fwd in my opinion.

Our tour returned by noon, and chose to quickly do a turn around. We found the "official taxi area" a TV tray with some extra getting you a taxi of who is legally next to get a fare. Others will try & approach, but not sure if legal or just locals trying make a buck. We chose official way. I think it was $50 at the time- took us to the Brinstone Fort- worth seeing & bring your camera for sure. By early afternoon all ship tours had left and just handful touring it.

They offer a free intro movie, but our taxi had given us only 45 min so decided walk thru movie exit and start our photos. Nice not having people in your photos. It was do slow, we found a rather guilty looking crew from gift shop rolling the cannonballs diwn handicap ramp as a game to amuse themselves. From there. We caught only a bit of Caribbean batik as near closing.

On way int the fort it is X ewhat rainforests and did spy some monkeys.

The taxi fare did not cover entrance fee do add that in, it is quite small amount though.

On another cruise we just chose to enjoy ship, try shopping. To be hen st many shops are owned by same families so quite repetitive. Found nice sun dress though. If one goes all the way towards back left there is a small what I'd call mini straw market with vendor stalls. Further back from there is the circle with a flick- it used to be worth going that far, now feel all unique shops left and has become more fill n electronic shops, etc and did not feel as safe. Would now only venture to the vendor area.

Another cruise was taking a local taxi to the beach - on way stopped at photo scenic spot where the Caribbean Sea can be seen on one side, and Atlantic on other all in same photo frame.

From here went to beach- my opinion only again- not the island to pick a beach stop. The closest "nice" beach to the cruise ship doc is Frigate Bay - about a 10 minute taxi ride. It's not too big but there are several beach bars/casual restaurants there. Five minutes further away is South Friars Beach which is quite a bit longer and is home to the famous Shipwreck Beach Bar. Many people think it is "nicer than Frigate Bay. We went to Shipwreck even though taxi wanted take us to resort a bit closer up road (likely a kickback) found beach narrow, very rocky- coral needing shoes and underwhelmed. Don't recommend it. Better things to do or see here.

Overall - I think if can see the Fort by some tour it is worth including it. The see all the sights tour a poster mentioned may be best bargain.

P.s. Don't be lured by guys with cute monkeys for photos they want money for letting uou take photos.

We took a cab to the Shipwreck Beach Bar and it was great! One of my best cruise days. I would go back for sure!

It was a quick cab ride, the restaurant is on a beautiful black sand beach with really cute chairs with thatched shading, good snorkelling, tasty drinks and monkeys!!!

Some friends and I did Carnival's "Rail and Sail" excursion last year. It was a lot more fun than I anticipated. We had a great day.

The sailing part is new since w did it, sure would amp up the fun.

P.s. The sugar bars they serve on train sure hit spot for my sweet tooth. Was on a sugar high for those giving me theirs.

Thanks to all that responded so far. In one of the replies It was said that I didn't put what my preferences are. that is because I have none. When I have done different island excursions in the past they have ranged from snorkeling to bus tours and everything in between. Just want to see what others did and they enjoyed. Thanks again

We came back from our Caribbean Cruise towards the end of June ... and I did a lot of research before hand (especially for St Kitts) and put all the contacts, how I found these people etc, everything is in my review (I posted somewhere here on cruise critic).

Here is the link, and if you have any other questions please let me know :)

https://imaginairie.wordpress.com/2016/06/30/on-board-the-carnival-funship-fascination-is-like-living-with-aladdins-lamp/

Thanks to all that responded so far. In one of the replies It was said that I didn't put what my preferences are. that is because I have none. When I have done different island excursions in the past they have ranged from snorkeling to bus tours and everything in between. Just want to see what others did and they enjoyed. Thanks again

Hi Andy,

I'll be there in mid September with Valor. I have booked the St. Kitts Tasting tour which gets great reviews. Hopefully it will live up to the comments.