My Dilemma

Hi Arod,

You may have already checked this, but if not look into alternate airports...

i know jet blue has a non stop to ft lauderdale from albany, as well as

southwest... just an example... happy hunting, hope it all works out for you.

Thanks. syr has the non stop to FLL too. I took it with a friend to FLL back in April--from the Indy--and it was 119 dollars each for a direct flight. Now it's over 600 for that same flight in Syracuse. Albany and buffalo are over 500. I've looked at every major airport within 5 hours. Phili and Dc/Baltimore are the cheapest but I can't convince the wife to make that far a drive. For now I may just book the anthem and monitor flights for the next couple months before final payment.

Recently read that in order to avoid a federal antitrust lawsuit UAL wil give up slots at EWR. Apparently UAL has been flying fewer flights than permitted in order to keep prices up. United will take $400 million hit in anticipation of having to lower fares in face of new competition.

Jet Blue has already announced four new florida flights daily from EWR and Allegiant Air, a low cost discounter will soon be initiating 8 new flights from EWR, though none yet to Florida.

Maybe if you hold on for a couple of months fares will drop.

We actually looked into philly and dc area as well. Both between a 4.5-5.5 drive assuming weather and traffic are fine and cheaper like you said. Very similar drive to cape Liberty. I'm inclined to do that, but the wife isn't in case of airport cancellations and we get stuck there etc. chances are if those two airports have issues we wouldn't make it down no matter where we leave from but she's the boss in this case.

We're planning on driving to Philly on Friday and flying out on Saturday morning. I figure if the airports close we may still be able to just drive down.

I totally agree with your post about leaving NJ on the anthem. She's not in love with leaving in The cold in February and the Bahamas itinerary so it's been a hard sell.

I sailed on the Quantum in December and February and Anthem in January and February. It's still a great cruise! The ship is truly a destination in itself.

If you are not jaded like many on this Forum, the Bahamas are a very nice destination, particularly RC's "private island", Coco Cay.

And in Orlando, you can spend the day at one of the theme parks. I suggest Universal Studios, where you can see my son perform. :D :D :D

I cannot imagine going on a Caribbean cruise and having to bring winter clothing.

What?? Anthem is geared toward cooler weather with most activities indoors. No one packs winter clothes to go to the Caribbean. We wear jeans and a hoodie boarding the ship in Bayonne. Shorts and sun dresses and sandals are the norm for the entire cruise. Yes, in the winter. Once we are on the ship, we ARE in the Caribbean. :):)

We are on Allure for that week. Air prices are crazy but we booked direct flights on SWA for 600 each. What we saved on cruise( booked with a great price for that week), we spent on flights..The airport is 25 minutes from our house if that. We have work limits so worked out for us. The convenience was worth it.

We cruised on Carnival from NYC during April break 1 year. It was weird boarding with jackets but the next day we were in great weather compared to what we left. We drove down and live in MA. The drive back is the worst as the sense of relaxation quickly disappears.

We are on Allure for that week. Air prices are crazy but we booked direct flights on SWA for 600 each. What we saved on cruise( booked with a great price for that week), we spent on flights..The airport is 25 minutes from our house if that. We have work limits so worked out for us. The convenience was worth it.

We cruised on Carnival from NYC during April break 1 year. It was weird boarding with jackets but the next day we were in great weather compared to what we left. We drove down and live in MA. The drive back is the worst as the sense of relaxation quickly disappears.

Of the 3 cruises I now have booked that week, that was the first we chose and one we'd like to do the most, but unfortunately with airfare is now the most expensive. We got a great deal too (799pp balcony guarantee). once they changed the itinerary from the Bahamas to the western Caribbean the price seemed to drop a lot for those first few days of the change and we jumped on it.

I'll be flying out of Syracuse NY. No SW unfortunately. Major carries are there and allegiant air 1x per week to FLL (I've heard bad airline). And JetBlue are the options

Southwest flies to FLL from Rochester, only 90 miles from Syracuse. Could that be an option?

Another possibility, if you're interested in a renting a car and driving a couple hours, is flying into the Daytona Airport. It's always cheaper because it is a small airport. Look into small airports in the area and see if flying into one is cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another possibility, if you're interested in a renting a car and driving a couple hours, is flying into the Daytona Airport. It's always cheaper because it is a small airport. Look into small airports in the area and see if flying into one is cheaper.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it's more expensive to fly to Datona that week than wpb, FLL or Miami.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it's more expensive to fly to Datona that week than wpb, FLL or Miami.

Wow that's crazy! When I fly and need to fly home (Jacksonville) I'll typically fly into Daytona because it's $50-$100 less. Sorry couldn't help D: maybe look into Gainesville. It'd be quite a drive (4-6 hours) but if it's best price, it might be worth looking into.

Book Anthem and Save!

We are lucky enough to live an hour South of Bayonne.

We booked a B2B on Navigator for 2017 from Miami. D1-Aft 3500 14 nights.

Air to FFL- 220 Each- $440

Hotel- 180

Uber from Airport to Hotel in Miami- $60 and back from Port to Miami $60.

So we are at $4240 not including excursions tips parking for Airport Flight

We booked Jan 7 2018 on Anthem

12 Nights D-1 3300

Parking at Pier- 19 a day- 228

It is much cheaper at least for us to do NJ.

Book Anthem and Save!

We are lucky enough to live an hour South of Bayonne.

We booked a B2B on Navigator for 2017 from Miami. D1-Aft 3500 14 nights.

Air to FFL- 220 Each- $440

Hotel- 180

Uber from Airport to Hotel in Miami- $60 and back from Port to Miami $60.

So we are at $4240 not including excursions tips parking for Airport Flight

We booked Jan 7 2018 on Anthem

12 Nights D-1 3300

Parking at Pier- 19 a day- 228

It is much cheaper at least for us to do NJ.

Added bonuses - you don't have to worry how much your bags weigh, you know your luggage will make it to the ship and you save two days of airport terminals and middle seats.

Thanks for all the responses. We decided on the Indy and will be flying out of DC for basically nothing. Saw a major price dip and jumped on it. The unfortunate part is driving 5-6 hours to the airport but to save over 1000 dollars in airfare is well worth it and we have family in the area to stay with if needed which makes it easier.