My Dilemma

I currently have a 5 night sailing on the Indy booked for feb to Falmouth and Labadee and a 7 night on the allure to Cozumel, Falmouth, and labadee (both the same week--haven't cancelled one yet). I've been on both boats and have enjoyed them as well as labadee and Cozumel. The issue I'm having is a flight to FLL, Miami, or WEst Palm Beach because it's winter break for schools, and of course my wife and I are teachers so we have to utilize that schedule. The prices for a RT flight would be over 1000 dollars for both of us which is ridiculous (but understandable for that week). To get to NJ is approximately a 4-4.5 hour drive and the Anthem (we have not sailed on any quantum ship) has a sailing to to Orlando, Nassau and coco cay (not thrilled with that itinerary and losing 4 days to cold weather)

We could do the anthem and Indy for about the same price factoring in the airfare for the Indy but will most likely have to cancel the allure. My question is, if you had the choice of the Indy or anthem,which would you do/why?

Thanks for any and all responses.

I also have the Indy booked for February during our girl's break week and was amazed at the airline prices. Just since yesterday however, Delta flights have come down to about $340 RT nonstop from Detroit. We will fly in the 19th rather than the day of departure. You might want to take another look at airfares. They are the lowest I've seen since I booked the cruise over a month ago.

Dan

Where are you flying from? Reason I am asking is we have choice of Tampa or Orlando when flying and it is normally less expensive to fly to/from Orlando.

Are you in PA, NY, ??? Does Southwest fly from your area?

In Feb, I think I would choose the Indy cruise. Anthem is a wonderful ship, but that itinerary stinks, and it doesn't get into warm enough ports (we did a similar itinerary in January, and it was actually colder on our day in Nassau than it was back home on Long Island. Definitely not beach weather at any port.)

I would do Indy because I wouldn't want to deal with cold weather on a cruise. It also seems more risky for flying/driving into a port where there could be weather delays, so anthem would be out for me. The anthem itinerary looks icky too.

Maybe you can find a red eye flight home that would be cheaper. You'd be tired for work the next day, but it would keep you from having to take a day off in order to wait to return Monday when it would be cheaper.

Prices will fall some what. Some booking sites will let you put a email price alert to some flights or cities.

I just booked to Athens, and waited and waited and finally it did come down and I was alerted to it by a web site.

Ok, so I don't know the Anthem itinerary, but we did Quantum out of NJ in Feb. and we were in warm weather by day 2 or so. Plus Anthem has a lot of indoor activities, IFly, bumper cars, etc. I enjoyed the Quantum cruise. Not a huge fan of the class, but they are beautiful. However I think it's worth experiencing. Also more days on the ship. If it goes to some good ports, might want to consider it for convenience and for experience.

Assume op is from NY/NJ area. Some food for thought:

Have sailed from Bayonne several times in winter. By afternoon of second day you are in shorts. Just off Anthem. Very different cruise experience, with enough to do indoors to keep you occupied on the two colder days. Unfortunately, itinerary is blah.

Balcony prices look too be about $950 for 5 days on Indy, $990 for 7 days on Allure and $1150 for 7 days on Anthem. Once you add airfare to Indy and Allure they become somewhat pricier than Anthem, plus you don't spend two days traveling.

Sailed Quantum out of NJ March 2015. Left in a major snowstorm with many flights cancelled. Lots of folks missed the ship. At least by driving we made it to the pier.

There was a long thread last winter about the travails of Rich from Long Island who was trying to get to Fl for an Allure sailing in the face of a big storm. Work prevented him from flying down early. Lots of folks chipped in ideas, but all flights were cancelled. He tried to juggle his flights but still missed his sailing and had to catch up days later. Are you willing to take that risk?

I'm sailing to Mardi Gras that weekend on X's Equinox out of FLL. Still not sure of my travel arrangements. Presidents weekend airfares are horrendous and hotels pricey. Best values are to fly on Thurs or Sun. Maybe I'll just drive.

Where are you flying from? Reason I am asking is we have choice of Tampa or Orlando when flying and it is normally less expensive to fly to/from Orlando.

Are you in PA, NY, ??? Does Southwest fly from your area?

I'll be flying out of Syracuse NY. No SW unfortunately. Major carries are there and allegiant air 1x per week to FLL (I've heard bad airline). And JetBlue are the options

I'll be flying out of Syracuse NY. No SW unfortunately. Major carries are there and allegiant air 1x per week to FLL (I've heard bad airline). And JetBlue are the options

So you are the same person who posted the airfare question on FB yesterday? ;)

I would go for the Anthem cruise and junk the whole idea of flying.

Of course, it all depends on "why you cruise."

If it's all about sunshine and beaches, fly to Florida and damn the costs.

If it's just about relaxing and having fun, you can do that on the Anthem, regardless of weather and ports.

:)

I currently have a 5 night sailing on the Indy booked for feb to Falmouth and Labadee and a 7 night on the allure to Cozumel, Falmouth, and labadee (both the same week--haven't cancelled one yet). I've been on both boats and have enjoyed them as well as labadee and Cozumel. The issue I'm having is a flight to FLL, Miami, or WEst Palm Beach because it's winter break for schools, and of course my wife and I are teachers so we have to utilize that schedule. The prices for a RT flight would be over 1000 dollars for both of us which is ridiculous (but understandable for that week). To get to NJ is approximately a 4-4.5 hour drive and the Anthem (we have not sailed on any quantum ship) has a sailing to to Orlando, Nassau and coco cay (not thrilled with that itinerary and losing 4 days to cold weather)

We could do the anthem and Indy for about the same price factoring in the airfare for the Indy but will most likely have to cancel the allure. My question is, if you had the choice of the Indy or anthem,which would you do/why?

Thanks for any and all responses.

If you are cruising Presidents week, the Northeast is ground zero for schools out for a week. If it matters to you, there will probably be many children on the Anthem cruise. Additionally, at that time of year it may not be particularly warm at the Anthem stops.

So you are the same person who posted the airfare question on FB yesterday? ;)

I would go for the Anthem cruise and junk the whole idea of flying.

Of course, it all depends on "why you cruise."

If it's all about sunshine and beaches, fly to Florida and damn the costs.

If it's just about relaxing and having fun, you can do that on the Anthem, regardless of weather and ports.

:)

Haha no wasn't me. I've never posted any FB questions before.

Can you look into leaving from a further airport?

I'm on that same Indy cruise. I live on LI, airfare from this area is insane. SWA was $1020 per person and we're a family of 5. I have no desire to sail on Anthem in February. So our plan is to drive to Philly spend the night in a hotel and fly out in the morning. I found airfare out of Philly for about $325 rt.

Edited by dcgrumpy

Haha no wasn't me. I've never posted any FB questions before.

That is a weird coincidence then! :p

What about my other advice?

As a teacher, I understand only being able to sail when the schools are on vacation, and you are trapped paying peak prices both on the cruise and for airfare.

If it makes you feel any better, it's even WORSE for New Year's Eve cruises. :eek::eek:

Hi Arod,

You may have already checked this, but if not look into alternate airports...

i know jet blue has a non stop to ft lauderdale from albany, as well as

southwest... just an example... happy hunting, hope it all works out for you.

Can you look into leaving from a further airport?

I'm on that same Indy cruise. I live on LI, airfare from this area is insane. SWA was $1020 per person and we're a family of 5. I have no desire to sail on Anthem in February. So our plan is to drive to Philly spend the night in a hotel and fly out in the morning. I found airfare out of Philly for about $325 rt.

We actually looked into philly and dc area as well. Both between a 4.5-5.5 drive assuming weather and traffic are fine and cheaper like you said. Very similar drive to cape Liberty. I'm inclined to do that, but the wife isn't in case of airport cancellations and we get stuck there etc. chances are if those two airports have issues we wouldn't make it down no matter where we leave from but she's the boss in this case.

That is a weird coincidence then! :p

What about my other advice?

As a teacher, I understand only being able to sail when the schools are on vacation, and you are trapped paying peak prices both on the cruise and for airfare.

If it makes you feel any better, it's even WORSE for New Year's Eve cruises. :eek::eek:

I totally agree with your post about leaving NJ on the anthem. She's not in love with leaving in The cold in February and the Bahamas itinerary so it's been a hard sell.