Booking airfare for Navigator of the Seas

My wife and I are leaving on the NOS on April 14 th, 2017 out of Miami. When would be the best and cheapest time to make airline reservations. We are flying from Cleveland, Ohio and would stay at a hotel the day before the cruise. Any particular airline? Just checked airline fares and they seemed really high. Thanks for all suggestions.

I'll be on NOS a month before your trip. Airfare is so high because it's too far out. You'll usually get a better price waiting until around 75-90 days out or so-- in general that's when airfare is at its lowest. Mid-week vs. weekends is usually the best time to book airfare as they count on more people shopping and buying spontaneously on weekends so they leave prices higher then. General rules may not apply for that week though since it looks like that's Easter weekend next year, so if you ever see a price you're comfortable with, go ahead and book.

Don't be afraid to look at flying into Ft. Lauderdale if there's a big price difference either. It's just a $30 Uber ride away.

Most importantly, make sure you fly in a day early. You never know with air travel and don't want to miss the ship.

Actually the real most important thing is having a great time on your embarkation day of April 14-- it's the best day of the year since it's my birthday! ;)

We are on the same cruise --- there is a very active roll call thread going on ... join in the fun!!!!

We have not booked any airfare for this cruise, the pricing is horrible ... we live in the northeast and that is spring break .... I'm finding pricing from Bangor, Maine at around 700 per person.

Hotels are also expensive for that week ... one of the posters has gotten a special pricing for a hotel ... but there aren't that many rooms left - a link to the thread is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2190850 Looking forward to chatting! Jan

if you fly in on Wednesday the 12th, its only $97 one way pp. That seems pretty good to me. (nonstop too) Ya your return flight is a bit pricey. But if it were me, id book the 12th and then just keep checking for your return flight. Sundays are always going to be higher, but you may find something with a good price. You have lots of time.

We just finished booking our Lax to San Juan flights in April 2017, I found one way going about a month a go at $176 then today we book our return at $207. So $383 round trip from LAX to SJU, I'll take that any day. One way is the way to book!!

Edited by whitshel

Think about getting a credit card and using points for your flight. Southwest has a good one. You get points just for obtaining it to start with. You can fly into FLL and use SAS for your transfer to hotel. Will be doing in January. Like FLL airport better than MIA anyway. I put whatever I can on card like auto and home insurance, tires, etc. and diligently pay it off just as soon as I put it on there rather than paying cash or check to other company. Points accumulate quickly and Wah-Lah! Your flight is paid for. Warning! If you are not good with credit card or don't intend to pay it off right then, DO NOT use this approach. :eek: It can get ugly very quickly.

One more thing...

I don't know anything about American but I do know Southwest has no change fees if you had to change. You could also pay for one way and points for the other way if you needed to do so. It would save some.

If you do Early Bird Check In on Southwest, be aware that the $15 each leg is non-refundable however on some circumstances Customer Service will refund it. They had to for me previously.

Two checked bags free too!

I was all set not to like them when they took over my Air Tran, but I love them now. Just wish we could get assigned seats...

My wife and I are leaving on the NOS on April 14 th, 2017 out of Miami. When would be the best and cheapest time to make airline reservations. We are flying from Cleveland, Ohio and would stay at a hotel the day before the cruise. Any particular airline? Just checked airline fares and they seemed really high. Thanks for all suggestions.

Try Southwest into FLL when they open up for bookings. Forget American the prices are beyond ridiculous....K.O.:(

I just booked delta for January 28 cruise. Southwest wasn't a good option for us with times and layovers. (Denver, Baltimore and Chicago all from Omaha).

I did a dummy booking for 90 days out and did not see any change in fare so I booked. FLL is expensive in late January as are the hotels.

Hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot booking delta.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just booked delta for January 28 cruise. Southwest wasn't a good option for us with times and layovers. (Denver, Baltimore and Chicago all from Omaha).

I did a dummy booking for 90 days out and did not see any change in fare so I booked. FLL is expensive in late January as are the hotels.

Hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot booking delta.

Noooooooo. You did it and you are done. You have to choose what is best for you. To me, if Southwest was cheaper, all those layovers not worth it. Just my thoughts. You are done and one step closer so move on to something else - like packing thoughts. Ugh! :eek:

P.S. Lived in Grand Island years ago.

Edited by Seacreature101
added p.s.

Try Southwest into FLL when they open up for bookings. Forget American the prices are beyond ridiculous....K.O.:(

Not from DFW. :p

OP...we are on this cruise, check the roll call as someone has set-up a block of rooms at a discounted price.

• 2 weeks later...

We're booked on Delta for our 1/28 as well. Of course it did come down about $50/ticket after I booked, but I was getting nervous because flights were already filling up, and I wanted specific routes and times flying in the winter out MI, and with 2 young boys.

Noooooooo. You did it and you are done. You have to choose what is best for you. To me, if Southwest was cheaper, all those layovers not worth it. Just my thoughts. You are done and one step closer so move on to something else - like packing thoughts. Ugh! :eek:

P.S. Lived in Grand Island years ago.

There wasn't much difference in fare actually. sWA had me going to Denver, Chicago and Baltimore. Most of those were two stops too. In January no thanks!

I have been checking prices from Palm Springs, Ca to Bush INTL and although the dates are not open yet, probably 1st of August, I am looking at $700 + PP round trip, while our flight to Boston for our TA is around $900 for both my husband & I round trip. Doesn't make sense that we can fly across country cheaper then a flight to Houston. this is with 1 connection.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Airfare just sucks. We're flying nonstop from DTW to MIA in a week and a half for $180 round trip. It's $405 in January with one layover.

High season. Same with us going to FLL from the Midwest.

Edited by clarea