Balcony or Vibe?

dreamr

Hi!

So I'm going on the Getaway in October with my big sister and my niece. We live on opposite coasts (SC & WA), so we don't see each other very often. This cruise is going to be the longest amount of time we've spent together in years and we are all SO EXCITED.

I am footing the bill for this cruise as a birthday gift to my sister (my niece was the "3rd & 4th guest sails free" haha) and I would really, really like to make this cruise memorable. Which leads me to a big decision:

Having a balcony on the Escape in November spoiled me and I would love to get a balcony for us for this cruise. However, being the diligent little Cruise Critic reader than I am, I know that balconies on the Getaway are tiny.

I also know that the price of upgrading/upselling to a balcony will likely cost me about the same as buying Vibe passes for the three of us. However, there is always the risk of the Vibe passes being sold out before we get to Guest Services. I can't afford to pay for a balcony AND get Vibe passes for the three of us, so it is going to have to be one or the other.

So should I get a balcony and that way I know that we'll have that little personal area to watch the ocean, no matter how small it might be? Or should I forego the balcony and hope I can snag Vibe passes? Or do I just not worry with either option and we can just sit on the waterfront whenever we want to sit around and watch the waves? haha

Thanks in advance for your advice! :)

personally, a balcony is a must for me. i've had one on both the Getaway and the Escape and really didn't notice a size difference, so i wouldn't let that worry you.

vibe is a gamble - balcony is a guarantee... so it all comes down to if you want to roll the dice or go with the sure thing.

It sounds like you have 3 adults in a room for a week. It is a no brainer for me to go for the balcony. We had the same set up last year and the space in the balcony cabin was a necessity for my vacation sanity for a week.

It seems like a reasonable plan to say "we'll get Vibe passes", but there is no guarantee that you'll get them, especially 3 of them. I found Spice H2O to be an excellent no extra cost adult area with a water feature, hot tubs, lounges and lounges, music, bar, large screen TV. It's also close to the buffet so you can go grab your own "fruit stick" if desired.

The balcony while smallish still allow you to catch those views pulling in and out of ports, catch a respite at night or breakfast pastries and coffee in the AM.

My vote having sailed with three in a balcony is for the balcony.

Depends on how much laying out you want to do and weather. We've been in the Vibe and Posh. They are nice, but the sun deck, a couple of towels on lounge, and a heavily tipped waiter will get you the same treatment (just no fruit on a stick). I like the balcony when sailing in and out of port ... perfect place to have a coffee or glass of wine without the fellowship of 4K people milling about.

Some of the balcony rooms have larger balconies... That would be my choice if still available.

These would be the B6 cabins on deck 9.

Or large balcony mini-suites M6 on deck 8.

Standard balconies ARE smaller (narrower) on GA and BA than on Escape.

I sailed on the Escape with 2 girlfriends in a balcony cabin. We asked the cabin steward for an extra chair on the balcony and he accommodated us on the first night! (We tipped him extra!)

It was a lifesaver having the extra little space it provided. One of us (not me!) was an early riser and could sit on the balcony having coffee in the AM.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! :)

Yes, there are going to be three adults in our room (my niece is 19 - my sister is 10 years older than I am haha). We could make do with an inside (which is what we currently have booked), but the extra room in the balcony room would be nice.

I've watched a couple of videos on youtube of the Getaway balconies and they look so much smaller than my Escape balcony. Man, that thing was nice. And since it was just me, it felt so open and roomy. The thought of three of us on one of those itty bitty Getaway balconies is just...well, it looks like it'll be a tight squeeze. haha

Nevertheless, I think I'll look into getting a balcony and use the Vibe passes as a backup. And if that doesn't work out, then there's always Spice H2O! (Thanks for the reminder about that, btw!)

Thanks again, everyone! :)

Personally, I'd do the Vibe pass without hesitating.

Question would be, how much time would you spend on the balcony vs. out? We spent maybe an hour a day on the balcony (generally in the morning for Coffee).

We spent 6+ hours a day in Vibe. The pool deck was too crowded for us and I really liked that in Vibe there were umbrellas for shade when it was super hot out.

This was on the Escape, but Vibe made our cruise. Staff was great and you really get to meet the people in there since it is like a ship within a ship.

Yes, there are going to be three adults in our room (my niece is 19 - my sister is 10 years older than I am haha). We could make do with an inside (which is what we currently have booked), but the extra room in the balcony room would be nice.

I've watched a couple of videos on youtube of the Getaway balconies and they look so much smaller than my Escape balcony. Man, that thing was nice. And since it was just me, it felt so open and roomy. The thought of three of us on one of those itty bitty Getaway balconies is just...well, it looks like it'll be a tight squeeze. haha

Nevertheless, I think I'll look into getting a balcony and use the Vibe passes as a backup. And if that doesn't work out, then there's always Spice H2O! (Thanks for the reminder about that, btw!)

Most are a little smaller, the Escape is a few feet wider

I would absolutely do the Vibe passes. Unless you pay extra for a large balcony cabin vs. a standard balcony, the 3 of you won't be able to enjoy it together, because they are just too small. Besides, Vibe on Getaway has 2 hot tubs and your balcony will have none. Get to the port early, and you won't have a problem getting the passes. Despite the way it looks here, you read very few accounts of anyone being denied, and no accounts of people being denied who got to the port extra early.

I would absolutely do the Vibe passes. Unless you pay extra for a large balcony cabin vs. a standard balcony, the 3 of you won't be able to enjoy it together, because they are just too small. Besides, Vibe on Getaway has 2 hot tubs and your balcony will have none. Get to the port early, and you won't have a problem getting the passes. Despite the way it looks here, you read very few accounts of anyone being denied, and no accounts of people being denied who got to the port extra early.

Yeah, I was a bit worried about that. Those balconies look so so tiny! I could see us standing out there together for a few minutes here and there, but I can't imagine all of us being able to actually sit out there comfortably for long stretches and talk...and that's something I really want to be able to do.

Though, the extra room in the room itself would be nice.

If I try for the Vibe passes instead, how early is early enough? In the past, I've always been at the port around 9:30-10 AM and I've always been in "Group 2" (I'm curious what time the "Group 1" people arrive haha). Do you think chances would still be good in Group 2? I've never tried for them before. Obviously. haha

---

Once again, thank you for all of the helpful posts! It's giving me lots to think about! :)

I was on the Getaway last year and the balcony was tiny. But there was room enough to enjoy coffee or martini, plenty of room to stare out at the ocean and sky, and that great view from inside your room.

We could all fit standing and There there is a stool in the room that you could trade for the table for times you want to be together. There are two chairs and a low table. Interestingly enough we mostly used it solo. My mother early AM, teen did summer reading for school late and I was less predictable.

For our group balcony has become a must.