Eastern Carribean in January??

ttonnka3

Hello

I am looking to cruise to the eastern Carribean that includes half moon cay out of Miami in January my questions are....

Will the waters be to cold?

Is it a good time to go in January ? Have been there at this time

Thank you

Edited by ttonnka3

The Caribbean is HOT all year round. The Bahamas (and the "private" islands )are NOT in the Caribbean...they are in the Bahamas, which is in the Atlantic Ocean. Yes...it can be cool, but it's not cold...ever. I'm of the opinion, if you don't get hot enough sunning to get wet, there is no need to get in the water!

Hello

I am looking to cruise to the eastern Carribean that includes half moon cay out of Miami in January my questions are....

Thank you

Hi there

The waters at Half Moon Cay may or may not be warm. Think Florida in Jan., Bahamas aren't very far away.

Once you get south of Cuba the waters are most always warm.

This of course depends on what you consider cold. Some people won't consider swimming if it is lower than 80F.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Can't speak about the water, but this past January, it was chilly and windy enough on Half Moon Cay they canceled all excursions. People could still tender to the island, but there weren't many people laying out. But the chance of that happening would not stop me from going again in January. It was still fun.

I missed the 1st few ports on a Glory Journeys cruise this past January due to a family funeral. When I joined up with the ship in Antigua, I was told that on both HMC and GT people wore hoodies and jackets and huddled under blankets, at least the brave ones who ventured to the beach.

At first I thought they were trying to help me not feel bad about missing those ports, but I heard from plenty of others that the weather was windy and chilly.

If you want less worry about January weather, book a Southern Itinerary or vacation in Costa Rica or Panama. We had wonderful, gorgeously hot weather 10 days of the 2nd half of the Journey B2B that went on the far southern itinerary.

Edited by evandbob

I was on the Splendor Jan. 3 sailing. Ports were Amber Cove DR, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. The weather was beautiful and the waters were great. Swim wear, shorts, sun dresses were the attire. I never saw hoodies, as another poster mentioned, but maybe we had an exceptional week. Also, I can't comment on HMC in Jan., but the other ports were incredible and immensely enjoyable at this time of year. I wouldn't hesitate to book another Jan. cruise. Enjoy!!!

Hello

Thank you

It's very pleasant.

Most of the time, no problem. But, I was on one cruise in February, where it was too cold to go into the water at ST. Thomas. It was hard for me to believe.. I mean really... St. Thomas? Too cold? We went to Megans Bay, and although there were quite a few people that went there that day, there were exactly THREE people that went into the water and stayed there for a short while:D

I have done a few cruises in Feb. The last couple were fine. But the first one, it was cold in Florida, we had to where jackets the day of embarkation. No pools for us that day... and it stayed cold until we got away from Florida. this is the cruise that i was talking about in my last post.

I think all but two of our cruises have been in January, one was in February and one in October.

January is our favorite month to cruise. Gets us out of the cold Michigan winter and there are usually less kids on board (especially on an 8-night cruise) because school has just barely gotten back into session after the Christmas holiday break.

We're rarely had any cold weather, except maybe when in Florida getting on the ship but by the next day as we're going further south it gets much better. Occasionally a bit of rain but nothing serious.

We don't care about getting into the pools on the ship, but it's almost always nice and sunny to lay out in a lounger. And we enjoy laying out when on the private islands like Coco Cay, etc. We usually get into the water for a bit too, and have never felt it was too cold to enjoy.