Love of Nice

Host Bonjour

A day after the tragedy in Nice, France...any words do little to allay the sadness felt by everyone.

It's understandable that at times like these, people have many things on their minds and many different thoughts and opinions on what has happened...there aren't easy solutions to these issues, these are only cruise message boards.

Probably what we can do is share our best memories of port calls in Nice, great experiences there, special times or people or places...what do you remember of your visit? Or if you haven't been to Nice but another part of the Riviera or France - what it is about France that you love? Share a joyful memory along with your sympathies if it feels right...comfort probably helps more than anger on a day like today though every emotion is valid. It's always important to keep the boards a positive place.

Please also remember to keep our TOS in mind as well as that of your fellow members above all - if someone decides to change their travel plans, respect their choice, don't question it. Support each other - the world is tough enough - this much is too apparent.

"Merci mille fois" thanks so much... to everyone for being such great board supporters :)

Edited by Host Bonjour

One of my fondest memories of our 2011 Med cruise was our tour with Sylvie of Monaco, Nice and Ez. We spent time in the market in Nice and lunched together there followed up by the best gelato ever!!

We visited Old Town, visiting the Flower Market and then swimming on the free public beach. It was my first time swimming in the Mediterranean. My biggest worry that day was making sure I had Euro coins for the rest room.

My first visit was as a 15 year old on a school trip with 200 teenagers and 20 chaperones. Simpler times. The most adventurous thing we did then was break curfew to cross the Prom, slide down the pebbled beach and dip our toes into the Mediterranean. Several subsequent visits. On the last one we visited the market and rode the carrousel. While we have grown much older, still haven't really grown up.

Thoughts and prayers to the people of Nice and all who have been touched by this horrific event.

The markets, Mediterranean, gelato, sojourns to neighboring villages....thank you for sharing lovely, fun memories! I felt like I had been transported - almost like I wasn't in France anymore, except of course most people still spoke French ;) Add in Italian over in Monaco - a unique place!

Thank you all for sharing a special memory of Nice. In our hearts, always.

I've been to Nice several times and once we did a Med cruise RT from there. The day we disembarked we were on the bus to transfer to the airport when a Delta representative boarded and told us our plane from the US didn't arrive and they were putting us up in a hotel until flight arrangements could be made for us. Fortunately nothing serious happened to the plane and I have forgotten what the problem was, but we had a wonderful extra day and night in Nice compliments of Delta. It is a beautiful city and my heart goes out to the citizens during this terrible time.

Edited by mek

We had a wonderful guide in Nice, Sylvie DiCristo. It really was one of the most beautiful places I have visited in the world.

We went the farmers market, the seaside promenade and a drive up the crazy streets to the Jardins du Monastere, the amazing gardens tended by the Monks overlooking the Med. All the roses were in bloom.... it was breathtaking.

We also went to Eze and Monaco.

So sad to see such senseless violence and for what?