Lisa Lutoff-Perlo and X's new direction

russg140

I find her press releases irritating and demeaning. The latest one on the Equinox remaining year round in the Caribbean includes....

Our guests, first-time cruisers and our travel partners have been asking me for many years to offer year-round Caribbean cruises. They wished we offered these itineraries,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO, Celebrity Cruises. "Modern luxury, affluent vacationers have been looking for summer cruises in the Caribbean and we felt this was a significant opportunity in our offering. So our new year-long sailings are perfect for discerning families and couples who want a summer getaway to sought-after tropical islands, with the best culinary experiences in the region and enriching activities for children and adults – all of which can only be offered by Celebrity. We are also adding new itineraries and sailings to create the most unforgettable vacations in the Caribbean; this is another example of what makes Celebrity so distinct and unique.”

'Affluent vacationers', 'discerning families and couples'. She has said similar before that this is her target market. We are not affluent nor discerning but are about to become Elite in September. However I feel she doesn't want us onboard her cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just booked Reflection for April 8 for less money than Carnival Magic. Balcony cabin, drink pkg, and 400 OBC. I find Celebrity to be a very different experience, especially the passenger mix. I doubt I ever cruise Carnival again, I know my husband won't.

That is the problem...Celebrity use to be a step above Princess of Hall which is why we always cruised Celebrity. Sadly, I'm not seeing much of a difference between the three in the last month. A slight edge above last fall (2015) but summer of 2016 has changed my mind as Celebrity being a bit better than the other two. And it kills me to say that.

Please let us know when you find O & AZ for "little more than the X price". Doing a quick search on a site that allows easy comparison, I looked for the absolutely cheapest price per night for itineraries in two regions:

Caribbean:

X = 74

O = 140

A = 137

Baltic:

X = 135

O = 257

A = 256

And that is for the cheapest cabin. Some of those old A and O ships have inside cabins less than 150 square feet, and their verandahs come at a very steep price.

For the difference in cost, I'd have pretty high expectations. I'm not saying I didn't think my three Azamara cruises were great, and they certainly have interesting itineraries, but for the price, I think I get much better value on Celebrity.

I may be wrong...but don't you need to add in the cost of the specialty restaurants (free on O) and liquor? I think I'm missing one other item as we recently looked at an O cruise and the price very close when all was said and done.

I may be wrong...but don't you need to add in the cost of the specialty restaurants (free on O) and liquor? I think I'm missing one other item as we recently looked at an O cruise and the price very close when all was said and done.

AZ includes: free gratuities; free liquor (spirits & wine); Bottled water, soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas; Complimentary AzAmazing Evenings; free Self-service laundry with free soap.

On O the inside cabins get one free night in each of the four specialty restaurants and free gratuities.

That's without the special promotions. When we sailed O, it included free round-trip air fare to Europe plus other perks including top shelf liquor and free internet.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I find her press releases irritating and demeaning. The latest one on the Equinox remaining year round in the Caribbean includes....

Our guests, first-time cruisers and our travel partners have been asking me for many years to offer year-round Caribbean cruises. They wished we offered these itineraries,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO, Celebrity Cruises. "Modern luxury, affluent vacationers have been looking for summer cruises in the Caribbean and we felt this was a significant opportunity in our offering. So our new year-long sailings are perfect for discerning families and couples who want a summer getaway to sought-after tropical islands, with the best culinary experiences in the region and enriching activities for children and adults – all of which can only be offered by Celebrity. We are also adding new itineraries and sailings to create the most unforgettable vacations in the Caribbean; this is another example of what makes Celebrity so distinct and unique.”

'Affluent vacationers', 'discerning families and couples'. She has said similar before that this is her target market. We are not affluent nor discerning but are about to become Elite in September. However I feel she doesn't want us onboard her cruise line.

Have to agree. That is not the demographic we see on =X= ships, and that isn't even in the Caribbean.

AZ includes: free gratuities; free liquor (spirits & wine); Bottled water, soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas; Complimentary AzAmazing Evenings; free Self-service laundry with free soap.

On O the inside cabins get one free night in each of the four specialty restaurants and free gratuities.

That's without the special promotions. When we sailed O, it included free round-trip air fare to Europe plus other perks including top shelf liquor and free internet.

How are the cabins? Are they all called suites? Or did we just look at the suites offered....they seemed quite large and beautiful

I hate when people use the word "free". It's not free. It's included in the price your are paying. All-inclusive does not equal free.

Unlike Celebrity which adds a perk then rolls the cost into an increased price, when I cruised O, the cabin price was the same before, during and after the promotion which included the additional air fare, top shelf liquor and internet so it WAS actually FREE. :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

We had an inside Marina cabin. It was much nicer than when we had an inside Celebrity cabin. The whole ship felt more upscale.

Thanks! Can't wait to try it out! How was the food? I've only heard great things. The Tuscan on the Summit very recently was not anywhere near where it once was.

Thanks! Can't wait to try it out! How was the food? I've only heard great things. The Tuscan on the Summit very recently was not anywhere near where it once was.

Food was excellent when we sailed. I even got three small boats of Caviar (the third was without asking; sent as compliments of the Chef served with with champagne) as an appetizer in the main dining room. No extra charge.

Unlike Celebrity which adds a perk then rolls the cost into an increased price, when I cruised O, the cabin price was the same before, during and after the promotion which included the additional air fare, top shelf liquor and internet so it WAS actually FREE. :D

Sorry, I thought O included those in their pricing. So they are not all-inclusive like some other premium lines?

Sorry, I thought O included those in their pricing. So they are not all-inclusive like some other premium lines?

I think specialty restaurants are free (at least 4 nights are) and you can bring any liquor you want on board. Not certain about the other items

I think specialty restaurants are free (at least 4 nights are) and you can bring any liquor you want on board. Not certain about the other items

I'm not much for bringning liquor onboard, but that's good to know. Just wish we could find a deal. Would really love to try Crystal.

Edited by CruisingChick

I was just going to say the same thing as Kevinyork regarding the press release announcing EQ in the Caribbean year round. As I said in my post yesterday LLP is not interested in keeping loyal customers. She wants attract new customers (families included) that are interested in doing overnights to attend things like the Jazz Festival in NO. What?! I book a cruise to be ON THE SHIP. Why not have a Jazz Festival ON THE SHIP? She wants people that want to "do stuff" not just enjoy the onboard experience.

Why?

Well think about it: You get off the ship, you'll eat off the ship (lowers food costs), you go to a Jazz Festival (or an opera in Rome, etc.) you don't need to have as many entertainers on board (lowers entertainment cost), while on shore the people will drink (lowers beverage costs) AND the ship isn't moving (lowers fuel costs). This isn't about what the guest wants it's understandably to make the line more profitable. But hey LLP in the words of Judge Judy "don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining".

She doesn't EVER say, "We've listened to our loyal guests and they've asked for..." Never.

As someone said earlier, do I want the X of the past? You mean when Michel Roux (Michelin starred chef) was the Executive Chef for the line, and X was known for being about top quality service and not about gimmicks and promotions, etc.? Yes. I do. Am I going to get it? Not with X. Does LLP care if I take my money elsewhere? She couldn't care less.

I was just going to say the same thing as Kevinyork regarding the press release announcing EQ in the Caribbean year round. As I said in my post yesterday LLP is not interested in keeping loyal customers. She wants attract new customers (families included) that are interested in doing overnights to attend things like the Jazz Festival in NO. What?! I book a cruise to be ON THE SHIP. Why not have a Jazz Festival ON THE SHIP? She wants people that want to "do stuff" not just enjoy the onboard experience.

Why?

Well think about it: You get off the ship, you'll eat off the ship (lowers food costs), you go to a Jazz Festival (or an opera in Rome, etc.) you don't need to have as many entertainers on board (lowers entertainment cost), while on shore the people will drink (lowers beverage costs) AND the ship isn't moving (lowers fuel costs). This isn't about what the guest wants it's understandably to make the line more profitable. But hey LLP in the words of Judge Judy "don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining".

She doesn't EVER say, "We've listened to our loyal guests and they've asked for..." Never.

As someone said earlier, do I want the X of the past? You mean when Michel Roux (Michelin starred chef) was the Executive Chef for the line, and X was known for being about top quality service and not about gimmicks and promotions, etc.? Yes. I do. Am I going to get it? Not with X. Does LLP care if I take my money elsewhere? She couldn't care less.

I agree with you. I especially agree booking a cruise to be on the ship. What happened to those days. That's why I think most of us fell in love with cruising. Being on the ship.

That is the problem...Celebrity use to be a step above Princess of Hall which is why we always cruised Celebrity. Sadly, I'm not seeing much of a difference between the three in the last month. A slight edge above last fall (2015) but summer of 2016 has changed my mind as Celebrity being a bit better than the other two. And it kills me to say that.

Not really sure what you mean by "problem?" We found Celebrity to be a much better experience than our cruises on Royal, NCL, or Carnival. We are in our late fifties, fun loving, educated, and upper income. Kind of their target passenger, no?

To be honest, I was a bit fearful when I booked our first Celebrity cruise. So many "get off my lawn" types of posts. If I wanted to vacation with grumpy old folks I could have stayed home and pitched a tent in the parking lot of my Publix.

I shouldn't have worried. The cruise was wonderful as were my fellow passengers.

I'm not much for bringning liquor onboard, but that's good to know. Just wish we could find a deal. Would really love to try Crystal.

We just received a flyer and the prices for very nice size suites were amazing. What scares us.. once we make that plunge there is no doubt we will NOT go backwards. Only did one Carnival and one NCL and never went back.

Not really sure what you mean by "problem?" We found Celebrity to be a much better experience than our cruises on Royal, NCL, or Carnival. We are in our late fifties, fun loving, educated, and upper income. Kind of their target passenger, no?

To be honest, I was a bit fearful when I booked our first Celebrity cruise. So many "get off my lawn" types of posts. If I wanted to vacation with grumpy old folks I could have stayed home and pitched a tent in the parking lot of my Publix.

I shouldn't have worried. The cruise was wonderful as were my fellow passengers.

Not grumpy...just don't want to see it turn into a Carnival or NCL. If the majority is fine with that then absolutely Celebrity should go that way. I don't want to go that way. Like I said before.. been there done that ONCE on Carnival and NCL. Never went back

Not grumpy...just don't want to see it turn into a Carnival or NCL. If the majority is fine with that then absolutely Celebrity should go that way. I don't want to go that way. Like I said before.. been there done that ONCE on Carnival and NCL. Never went back

Again, that was my point. The Celebrity cruise was NOTHING like Carnival or NCL.

Let's not forget her original press release about looking for customers who are young with disposable income from the right ZIP CODE!!! That's demeaning to me who has 11 future cruises booked, 7 with Celebrity, and I'm definitely not her young affluent zip code! She rubs me the wrong way for sure and my BF wanted to go on the Celebrity Presidents cruise. No way!

Our guests, first-time cruisers and our travel partners have been asking me for many years to offer year-round Caribbean cruises. They wished we offered these itineraries,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO, Celebrity Cruises. "Modern luxury, affluent vacationers have been looking for summer cruises in the Caribbean and we felt this was a significant opportunity in our offering.........

Just a mention "Kevinyork", you may not use the word AFFLUENT to discribe yourself, but I bet many others would. According to your signature you cruise 2-3 times a year. And maybe in Suites? I have started to cruise as we have recently retired. We do regular old balconies. We live in Florida so can drive to the ports also. I know I would love the suites, but can't justifly the double, triple or more price tags. So far we haven't even done a specialty restaurant. The MDR has been wonderful on our 3 cruises. All different lines so far. Have 5 more booked for the next 2 years spread accross 5 different lines also. Checking everything out to see where we fit!

Why?

I agree with you as well in all you say.

Would like to add, that if she wants to attract families, thats just one more reason I would not do Carib in the summer. Have had enough of bratty kids on cruises to last me a life time. Now will only travel when hopefully there are very few of them.

Yeah, I have become a very unpopular champion of this topic.

Just cant see, modern luxury, chic, etc, while there is a kid screaming in the dining room.

This woman, with her press release has alienated a lot of people . Has made many more angry.

Phrases like , affluent, with disposable income , will do that every time.